Fairy Gone

That soundtrack is such mid 2000s shit. I really can't stand nu metal. Episode 2 was okay except for the way that it tried to squish in a lot of vague backstory into the start of the episode that didn't really explain anything. It also feels like the episode skipped over a lot of stuff to get to redhead going on her first mission. Definitely feels like there was an unexplained time jump.

This is still pretty meh to me. The fairy stands are kind of cool in concept even if the CG could be better. I'm also digging the aesthetic design of the world. I just wish the plot and characters could live up to these cooler concepts.

Maybe it's because I'm also binge watching Jojo's right now, but I can't help but compare the fairy powers to stands. Which makes me sort of wish I was watching Jojo's instead of this.

Still not in love with Fairy Gone, but I'm willing to give it more time. If nothing else, the absolute ~edge~ of it all is kind of hilarious.

Maybe it's because I'm also binge watching Jojo's right now, but I can't help but compare the fairy powers to stands. Which makes me sort of wish I was watching Jojo's instead of this.

Still not in love with Fairy Gone, but I'm willing to give it more time. If nothing else, the absolute ~edge~ of it all is kind of hilarious.

Yeah, this really doesn't fair well in comparison to JoJo. The Fairy Battles don't have much style and they definitely don't have the strategy that gives JoJo a little depth. Stands also have more creative powers whereas most of the fairies are either brute force types or substitutions for modern weapons.

Also, the cars with arms and legs are goofy as shit.

Still enjoying the soundtrack, I like the CG of the fairies in contrast with the rest of the world.
Still looking forward to unravelling more of the world, although hopefully not as much time jumping and backstory squishing going forward

Yeah, this really doesn't fair well in comparison to JoJo. The Fairy Battles don't have much style and they definitely don't have the strategy that gives JoJo a little depth. Stands also have more creative powers whereas most of the fairies are either brute force types or substitutions for modern weapons.

Also, the cars with arms and legs are goofy as shit.

Completely agree. These fights lack a distinct flair, and it doesn't help that they basically all look the same design wise

That, and
it was also hilarious to me that the male protagonist also had an angsty blonde counterpart from his past. like we needed to double up on that in this show

I swear these songs during the fight scenes sound like they belong in a Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Episode 2:

Seems they aren't willing to give us much more world building than what little the first episode gave. We kind of met some of the main guys team. They seem fine.

Again the fight didn't feel too special but I did like how they gave us a few rules about how the stands fairies work like how Maria couldn't use hers after its arms were chopped off. I thought her arms would get chopped off too as it looked like up to this point the users took equal damage as the fairies. Maybe she's special?

The part after the fight scene where Free instantly went from

Stopped Running
Appeared on bike
Looks at the literally running away truck
Appears next to the truck

Looked insanely strange. I guess they want us to just assume the inbetweens but it made it a really jarring shot for me. There was no build up with Free grabbing his bike or riding up on the truck, he just appears at the end point in both those scenarios.

Ep. 2- Hmm. It was better than the first episode.
Also, leg trucks are weird, but kinda funny- it's a point of probably unintentional humor in an otherwise overly-serious show. I hope they drop the backstory narration- it's really clumsy and the worst thing about this show.

Episode 2: I'm just here to echo what everyone else is saying.

A lot of the same issues as episode 1. The confusing flashbacks were at least less confusing this time, as it didn't take me long to figure out who we were flashing back to. Of course I didn't know any of the other characters in the flashbacks, so still seemed a bit useless. In retrospect, blondy was in the flashback, but it's not like he did anything to establish character so... why?

More choppy editing, more fight scenes inspired by PVs with a pop metal score, more not seeing a damn thing these fairies can do besides bash into each other. Still no real character development. The characters seem amicable enough, but they're kind of just... there. Moving through a story who's plot I'm not entirely sure I've figured out yet.

The surveillance type and long range type were nice additions, and I hope we see more of them. The vast majority of this episode was all one long battle, and that's really cool. But all the fairies did was bash into each other, and when one did something important to the battle, they cut away to conserve budget. And that's not cool at all. This show's design looks great, but the animation has suffered for it.

All in all, I still think it was a much better episode than 1. I'm not sure what's going on and I'm not sure that I care, but the show's still fun to watch at times. Even if the fun parts ultimately lead to disappointing sakuga free conclusions.

At least we'll always have legs on cars to rofl over., Like, you have engines and wheels... Why opt to make your vehicle less efficient?

Episode 3:

The first episode without some weird metal insert song is the one I liked the most. Go figure.
This episode at least felt somewhat well put together compared to the first two. Each episode so far has started with a flashback with one of the characters and a quick summary of how they were affected by the war. Marlya for episode one, Free episode two, now Wolfran. Veronica next unless hers counts with Marlyas. We also learned a tiny bit more about fairy soldiers and their role in the war.

It's been about 20 years and only 17 of those 300 are left. Clearly some are going to be important to the story here but I don't see much reason for all 17 to show up.

I enjoyed the chase scene, had a nice tune playing over it. Kinda made me wish that back alley thief was more important. He was better animated than most the cast, in his expressions and literally. Not a fan of introducing so many characters like this though. I'm having a tough time caring about Free and Maryla already, but now they keep throwing Wolfran, Veronica, and now this Sweetie girl at me with no time to develop anyone. If they keep throwing characters at me I'm sure one of them will stick, right?

Episode 3.
How dare that guy steal from Jesus!
tumblr_inline_pqdob3BsdT1r5ioas_540.png

Also, can we just make Bitter Sweet the new MC? She's hot and she has something Maryla lacks. That being an actual personality.

So, there was actually something to this episode. The constant info exposition dumps still bother me, but I have to say, the chase sequence was pretty fun. There were other improvements too - bringing in a charismatic character like Bitter Sweet, for example.

I think I am going to drop this after having watched the first episode. I have taken no interest in the premise or the characters. Having seen that this will be a two cour show, I do not fancy the idea of sticking to something that may not grow on me for so long. At the very least not sight unseen. I might give this another go in future if it looks to turn out better than it is, but for now I focus on other shows.

Not enough fairy fights. I know what I signed up for. :’)

Still really enjoying the soundtrack.
Getting to know more about the motives of the characters is always interesting too. This week was Wolfran, enough to make me feel sad for him. Will see how it continues....

The action is nice when it's there.
Everybody is trying to get the black magic book to make more powerful use of fairies.

Am I the only one who thinks all the characters are cringingly incompotent and by proxy the writers must be terrible?

Episode 4.
Yet again, they come up with bad guys that have twice the personality of our protagonist. That's getting annoying.

Also, I'm starting to question the usefulness of Faeries. If anything, they seem to be a hindrance in a fight at times.

Back