ItaKiss

Girl in the bottom set of her school wants to get with guy who is in the top set (and probably the most intelligent student in all of Japan). She is a ditzy, dumb nobody with a vivacious personality, and he is a nasty bishounen snob. Cue situation comedy and contrived romance.

So, I started watching this on the basis of a friend's claim that it was quite 'Lovely Complex' like. Well, it's not half as prettily designed, not half as original, and certainly not half as funny.

However, after watching the second episode, I think Itazura na Kiss is kinda decent in an average sort of way. The comedy is not too bad, the female protagonist has some sense of wit, and the character designs, although way too simplistic and annoying-looking, are probably going to grow on me after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plot
Itazura na Kiss tells the love story of Kotoko and Naoki from their days as high school students to their marriage. The story continues after the marriage as they continue to grow as a couple. The story starts with Kotoko finally building up the courage to confess to Irie Naoki by giving him a love letter but was rejected in front of everybody. After that humiliating moment, she decided to give up on her love for Irie Naoki. That same day, the Aihara's newly-built home was destroyed during a mild earthquake due to poor construction. They ended up staying in the Irie household thus starting their "love story".

Anyone Like the series?

I actually like it, for a couple of reasons. One, it doesn't rely on fanservice to try and keep the viewer entertained. And two, I find the situation Kotoko is stuck in mildly hilarious. I can't help but think how awkward it would be to be rejected by the person you were in love with, brutally, and then forced to live with them. The show does a good job of making the characters confront each other in embarassing or compromising situations and play off of the results of those interactions.

hmmm I can't bring myself to watch the damn series... I got to make some time for it.
I hope it a really romantic story.

hmmm I can't bring myself to watch the damn series... I got to make some time for it.
I hope it a really romantic story.

I think you'll like it, I have a feeling its going to have quite a few fairly romantic moments, on top of the comedy.

hmm.... well it's that time of the month now.. no it not chick stuff. I just feel really restless and I am looking for something explosive or something Ecchi and funny.
I think I might put Na kiss on hold for a few weeks.
But I will take your word up. LOL I always look for some sort of romance in anime. doesn't matter how small. So this could be my romance fix for the month.
although this has to compete with Kanokon. sigh

oh no SIGH.. GTA IV is coming out.. grrrr
my time is all screwed

Yeah, I agree with you, ingrey. Upon watching the first episode it was a 6.5. Now it's moved up to a solid 7. It's a fun watch, even if totally unoriginal. I just hope Kotoko doesn't keep dong stupid things like
jeopardise her team because she wanted to run into Irie's arms.

Anyway, always still room for the series to improve even further.

I like this series on first impression. I am a fan of classic unlikely situation comedies such as Marmelade boy and the many others I could name that do not come to mind at the moment.

The main characters are pretty typical unfortunately due to the age of the manga this is based on. The manga-ka died a very tragic early death (Trauma to the head causing death by coma would ruin anyones day). I am happy to see that this anime is being shown respect while still relatively modernized while being produced. I also love that it is a breath of fresh air back to the pre 'fan service every 30 seconds' days of anime.

I hope everyone who likes shoujo romance and gets a bit tired of impossibly stupid situations catches Itazura no Kiss. This one could actually happen in reality (within reason for the setup) and the main character isn't perfect (far from it).

I kind of like it... only I hate the animation. I mean what is up with Kotoko's friends.... they are so ugly! Especially that chick with the zulu lips... urgh!

I kind of like it... only I hate the animation. I mean what is up with Kotoko's friends.... they are so ugly! Especially that chick with the zulu lips... urgh!

It's probably emulating the original manga. Those character designs were pretty typical for shoujo in the early 90's. Either that or the manga-ka may have wanted the lead character to seem slightly more attractive.

The hair Kotoko wears in episode 3 at the track meet is quite an example of an 'antennae' hairstyle that was popular for heroines back then in shoujo. The results of the end of the Track Meet is too.

I still love this series. I am watching intently from now on. :smile:

It's probably emulating the original manga. Those character designs were pretty typical for shoujo in the early 90's. Either that or the manga-ka may have wanted the lead character to seem slightly more attractive.

The hair Kotoko wears in episode 3 at the track meet is quite an example of an 'antennae' hairstyle that was popular for heroines back then in shoujo. The results of the end of the Track Meet is too.

I still love this series. I am watching intently from now on. :smile:

Now that you say it's based on early 90s manga, I am far more intrigued. When seen in context, I think I have a bit more respect for it. I hope it turns out thoroughly good!

Episode 5:
'I'm sorry, but can I throw it away?' LOL. That was a good episode. Actually laughed at the part when she kept going back for answers. And the ending theme is really fun to listen to.

It's not more than a 6.5/10 at the mo, but it's got a nice light-hearted feel that's making it grow on me.

Episode 5 is definitely the best one so far, was laughing just about the entire episode. Love the mom too, too funny.

I didn't really like this series at first. I thought it was only going to be about Kotoko drooling over this guy while he treats her like crap, but now they are developing into an actual relationship. The little brother is still annoying though.

The total lack of panty shots is a relief too. I could actually show this to my little sister!

I like watching this one too.What I don't like is the simplicity of the animation.I mean most of the people don't have eyes drawn.

When i first heard about INK, i was sooo excited! I thought that maybe, Sunrise made something about Inuyasha again. Then i realised it was a typical shoujo anime and the inuyasha fanboy inside me died a little more. INK is still a really good anime though.

Itazura na Kiss - Anime-Planet

recs would be appreciated ^_^

Just made an intelligent one as best I could by the way.

I just watched episode 6.

So far the series is progressing quite well into a slice of life show with some unexpected twists.
I can officially say I have never seen an anime character get appendicitis before.

Irie and Kotoko are a wonderful pair of main characters. Neither are annoying and both compliment each others personality just enough to keep things interesting.

Man, episode 7 was great. Was laughing for pretty much the entire episode and
THERE WAS A KISS!

Last edited:
Back