Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil

Ep. 01

biggthumpup.gif

Lawyers & magic users... yep, this is going to be a fun one!

Lawyers? For some odd reason I keep reading this as Wizard Barristas....

All I can imagine is wizard hipsters and coffee shops.

Episode 1.
Wizards, explosions, action, explosions...explosions, and a perverted magic frog voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

In short, AWESOME!

Episode 1
I liked it!
I planned to watch this one so i was glad to see it wasn't a let down.
I first like the original idea, it's like mild detective play in a way, figure out who is truly criminals and who are victims in the crossfire, score 1 for me, the original thing about wizards using barristers was pretty neat, some big action scenes, seems they really like explosions but hey that is fine. no real issue with any characters, or at least the main girls seems fine and i quite liked them 2 police, i imagine they will be great.
so yeah, not too bad, it has action and it's a fairly unique theme it has going on, i will look forward to what will hopefully be a good series.

You guys like this?

All I got out of it was that it was yet another show where the general public resents and tries to oppress a group with special powers. I didn't like the art, and the characters all seemed annoying and/or uninteresting to me.

i enjoyed ep 1 a lot - getting a planetes vibe from the law office so far (and the overly excited/bubbly new employee)

Episode 2.
Justice prevails...with a little help from fraud and giant robot fights, but still. I know these guys are trying to do the right thing here, but I see their methods as coming back to bite them. Article 10 is gonna fail them at some point. Also, that fight was frigging awesome. I love the battle animation in this show.
Good episode.

On a secondary note.
Pause at the start of the episode. Lacey black goodness. :love:

You guys like this?

All I got out of it was that it was yet another show where the general public resents and tries to oppress a group with special powers. I didn't like the art, and the characters all seemed annoying and/or uninteresting to me.

Did I enjoy episode 1?
Indeed, I thought the animation was pretty damn good overall, obvious CGI aside (although there were some hiccups with the regular animation). And after getting over my initial disappointment over the lack of wizard baristas a story about the law office of a group of mages that represent mages in a fairly realistic (magic stuff aside) representation of modern day Japan seems like it could work out beautifully.

Sure the "persecution of magic-users for being different" thing is overdone, but from the point of the legal aid that represents the defendants of magical crimes? That seems to be a relatively unique idea.

And it has Norio fucking Wakamoto voicing a frog familiar. A perverted frog familiar, Wakamoto's voice works so damn well as that frog :love:

The main girl is a tad overly bubbly and I'm not a fan of the lavender hair that seems to be natural despite the relatively realistic hair colors of the show (I guess that applies to non-mages only... blue appendage hair man breaks the boundaries of what hair can be). And that line when she summoned that metal golem... "turn yourselves in, I'll represent you!" almost seemed like it was a taunt out of Street Fighter with the way it was presented. A little out of place... and why would she willingly represent the people that tried to rob her and that paralegal, and even cutting the paralegal in the process?

I'm hoping that she will grow-up from her belief that she can save everybody and turn it into a more pragmatic and realistic view rather than having a legally blonde type "cutesy-ing up" of the legal profession.

As long as the action remains as great as the train sequence and this doesn't devolve into a save everyone friendship happy acceptance and tolerance time with flowers and scented candles I'll most likely enjoy this.

Also, Wakamoto as a frog... sheer genius! Bon!

Episode 2

Didn't finish. I can't stand the art style, and the ridiculous nature of criminal justice being shown here (guilty until proven innocent, police refusing to provide information to attorneys, etc.) is just goofy.

I'mma let myself out and leave you guys to handle this one.

This is easily the worst part of the show. That frog might be my most hated character from the entire season so far. Not even exaggerating, i hate it so damn much, why do shows feels the need to put some cutecritter into every damn show? It didn't work for BroCon, why the hell would it work here, just because Norio Wakamoto is the voice? Please, the character is so obviously shitty and only there for the kawaii factor.

A talking animal made 0 sense for Brocon because of the setting, not only was the rat thing unnecessary it didn't fit into the universe. Everything except that one talking animal suggested Brocon was set in universe whose rules mirrored reality.

This series is about wizards, and familiars are a common thing in stories about wizards. I didn't question for a second that a familiar belongs in this story. That really is a terrible comparison Brad... regardless of the quality of the actual stories.

Norio Wakamoto only seals the deal for me.

i dislike the frog thing... it's really ugly (sorry... that is supposed to be cute? o.o) and yeah i rarely care for these familiar talking critters anyway, only one in every 5 is tolerable (or better) and thus far i feel it is kind of pointless. But it's a minor aspect so i don't really make a fuss. I do hate that blue haired freak though... what the hell is it and why is it on my monitor... go away blue haired guy x.x

Episode 2
Another good episode for me, the guilty till proven innocent thing... well im between the lines, i have no real issue with this as this is going to be the big factor in our case developments (people shouldn't forget fiction doesn't have to be real), though to me they seem... lets say, hasty in bringing about that death sentence don't they? It seems to be the only punishment (which ok i have no issue with life for life) but c'mon, when you have a case you don't give them a week or two otherwise the guy gets it, but that's just minor stuff so really i quite like it. I am a big fan of justice when it is being seen through things like this so it's a good striker for me.
Not sure the issue with the art that was mentioned by someone above, i like it.
Anyway, i quite like the series thus far, hope it keeps me this entertained.

Back