Yu-Gi-Oh!

on

God, I tried to watch this when I was little and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was cool, all the fighting and the really cool animation. But honestly, the animation is mediocre, the story is subpar at best, and the supposed difficulty of the actual game is no where similar in real life. Honestly, the game was 150 times easier than the anime made it seem and that forced me to hate the characters. I wish this had been a better anime so that I could still enjoy it in my later years, but for this anime I think that is impossible.

on

Alright the story is unique and not complety bad. The animation is not that well done. But the music i love it! I Dropped this when i got to episode 20 when i heard their was a manga about this and went straight to the manga and finished the series through that! I recommend reading the manga instead i loved it!

9.4/10 overall
on

As someone who's been a lifelong fan of the card game it was interesting to see its origin like as a kid I had never known there was a series before the 2000 one that I grew up with.   This is more of a slice of life school type of thing  and to be honest looking at this is simlear to looking at the original pokemon concept art just in series form .                   Yugioh was originally planned to be like this for the series duration just a game a day type of show but the popularity of the "Magic and wizards " card game one day showcased became so popular it wound up becoming the focus and Im very happy it went in that direction I loved the animes up until zexal collected a ton of the cards and bought and played a ton of the games for around 12  years .     In fact I'd venture to say that if it wasn't for Yugioh I probably wouldn't have wound up being a big a fan of anime as I am .     This is a fun little experience for a long time fan but as for SOL school there are plenty of anime that do the genre much better than this at least in my opinion .

(72.85%) THE BETTER ANIME BASSED OFF A GAME:

I'm probably not the first to mention that anime shows based off of games are terrible. However, THE only exception to that statement is Yu-Gi-Oh! Shows like Pokemon, Sonic X, and Beyblade are all bull crap compared to this series. You'll find out why as we go on.

(32.40%) STORY: (7.2/10)

Just in case you were either born yesterday, you're old, or you were deprived of most of your childhood,  Yu-Gi-Oh!'s story goes like this: YUGI, the main character, and his friend JOEY get a letter from MAXAMILLION PEGASUS, a filthy rich evil mastermind who is the creator of Duel-Monsters (the card game we call Yu-Gi-Oh), inviting them to participate in a special dueling tournament called Duelist Kingdom, and the grand prize is three million dollars, well at least for JOEY. YUGI, on the other hand, just had his grandfather's soul taken to the shadow realm, a dark world where shadow duelists (holders of any of the seven millennium items) go to when dueling each other, usually. Naturally, YUGI won't stand for it and decides to accept PEGASUS's challenge, and thus the story begins. Unlike other anime based off games like Pokemon or Sonic X, Yu-Gi-Oh had nothing to base their story off of, so they had to improvise, and for them, it actually worked. There is actually a plot. PEGASUS is not beaten in every single episode like in Pokemon or Sonic X, and there are actual plot twists that leave cliff-hangers. The story's not perfect by any means though. If 5 card battles in every episode doesn't start to feel repetitive, then I don't know what will. Wait a minute, now that I think about it, 5 Pokemon Battles per episode... no, just no, that's a whole other review. With that out of the way, let's move on.

(33.30%) CHARACTERS: (7.4/10)

Unlike Pokemon, where all the characters stupid as all get out, Yu-Gi-Oh actually has good characters with redeeming qualities.Besides YUGI, there is JOEY who is THE comedy in the show.  TRISTEN is JOEY's partner in crime. TEYA is just another friend accompanying them. KAIBA is my favorite character in the whole series. He is YUGI's rival and another filthy rich character. Most of all, the villains in this anime are actually threatening and actually leave cliffhangers to next episodes. They don't get beaten in every single episode. All of the bad guys do get beaten, but it is never an illogical victory. The villains don't get sent blasting off because of a tackle attack. Being a card game based on luck, there are times when you don't always think the characters will win.

(7.15%) ATMOSPHERE: (7.15/10)

Animation is good considering it being made in 2001-2002. However, what force is making YUGI's last card draw five times slower than all the others. Never mind, I must be seeing things.The opening theme to this show is probably one of the most epic songs ever put in a show. Not only that, the only lyrics in it are "Yu-Gi-Oh" about twice and the famous "It's time to du-du-du-du-d-d-d-d-duel!" said by YUGI himself. The rest is just pure epic orchestra at its best. So what could possibly bring this down? The voice acting wasn't bad at all. Hmm... Oh yeah, there is no ending theme. It's just a short version of the already shortened version of the opening theme. None of the OST is memorable at all, either. The opening theme is so good enough that it still gets a 7 out of 10.

OVERALL: (7.285/10)

You should know the drill by now. Just do the math, Bla Bla Bla. Most people have probably seen at least a solid portion of this show so there's no need to recommend it. In my opinion, it's the best of the game-based genre.

7.2/10 story
7.5/10 animation
6.8/10 sound
7.4/10 characters
7.3/10 overall
on

Excellent Season to start of the yu-gi-oh anime loved it. Only thing i didnt like is some of the battles last a bit to long but the storys are really good