Genji Monogatari Sennenki

alexander

Genji Monogatari Sennenki

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

ep1
I like Puffy, but not the op.

I like the story, but not this boring presentation. The designs are horrible, and starting with nekkid people seems vulgar.

That they chose Sugita for Tou no Chuujou means a Gintama fan like me can't watch this with a straight face XD

How could they leave out Kokiden?!

So, not recommended unless you're into kitsch.

Last edited by a moderator:
This works chooses a person.
It may confirm if you like Shoujo manga.
I guess the tale of Genji is origin of all of Shoujo mangas.
sure. this looks and expressions are peculiar.

I don't like this genre very much. But I felt this is no bad.

I read a slightly abridged Genji in an English translation and really liked it. The first episode then felt like a completely different story! They left out all the politics.

Okay I just saw the first episode. Rather liked it, actually.

I must agree with alexander that the choice of opening song is hilariously inappropriate. Maybe if this series was some kind of hip re-imagining of Genji; but it's more ornately beautiful moment followed by ornately beautiful moment, which is certainly a respectable if limited way to go about adapting it. The approach seems to be taking it as a really classy romantic melodrama, all sakura petals and flowing kimonos - again, a rather sensible idea.

Oh I thought the nudity worked - Genji is entirely about a very elegant, courtly sort of eroticism. It was staged rather nicely. So too did the rather bishonen character design, as Genji's arguably the original bishonen.

All that said there's certainly a danger for this to descend into kitsch - I just don't think it has yet and I'll leave the jury out. If ornate beauty is really all they've got then they have their work cut out for them turning this into an effective whole, but there's promise for a fairly good series.

I read a slightly abridged Genji in an English translation and really liked it. The first episode then felt like a completely different story! They left out all the politics.

I read Royall Tyler's excellent and comprehensive translation - though that was some years back so I'm rather rusty on the specifics. However, this episode pretty faithfully followed the story of Genji's first love, Fujitsubo. Genji's various loves may not be the only aspect of the novel, but they're a huge aspect - and since we're only getting eleven episodes I'll be fine if this is all the series does.

Last edited:
Lol. Is it me or will you defend anything with nudity in it, valondar? Hahaha.

It has to be pretentious enough.

This isn't anything really explicit though - nothing that would merit stronger than a PG rating, really. More naked back and so on.

Okay. Next time I find an anime about naked interpretive dance, I'll give a shout.

Back on topic, I was interested in this series just because of the screens I'd seen of it. It looks like one of those slow-moving bizarre fable types. But I'm not getting a clearer picture from the discussions here either. Frankly, I don't have the time right now, but I might get back to it later. Especially if, by then, it's already reviewed by valondar - then I can enjoy it without overthinking it in my head.

^
Well much of the buzz around this series is that it's by the people who did Rose of Versailles, take that for what you will.

I'm definitely going to give a shot at reviewing this though.

Back