Gilgamesh

Episode 1:

Man, after 6 episodes straight of WHR this sure was great.

The setting looks great already. We're in a futuristic world in which computers and all other technology has been rendered useless by a terrorist attack using some mysterious power of sorts from those ancient ruins which enveloped the planet in some kind of insulator from the outside. It's a comeback to mankind's earlier stages and the consequent decay. The state the cities were in is quite the shocker.

I love the dark mood on it. While the animation could use some improvements in shading/lines/movement I think it's done reasonably well and those flaws don't effect the atmosphere negatively. The important thing is that I know we're in for a gooood dark ride. =D

The show is quite cryptical so far in that it gives little information to go by and shows many things unknown to the viewer in not long, so for now it's kind of hard to tell who some of the characters are or where they are and why. I'm sure this will all come along in due time. Since I'm already enjoying the show I'll stay focused while watching, so it shouldn't be hard to follow.

I wonder if all three ''brothers'' are members from the exploration group back then. A lot of time has passed so that would seem improbable, but the characters who appeared near the end really resembled those who were at the ruins in the beginning, so I don't know. Anyways our two little siblings are going to have it tough to keep on living in this world.

such a love hate show for me. i still can't pick which side i'm on for it but i know it's more on the like side of things since i want to re-watch it sometime

Episode 1:
So we start with a scientist turned terrorist setting off some kind of world ending destruction. A lot of confusing dialogue and then we switch to the story of a pair of siblings running from gangsters looking to collect on a loan. Things aren't looking good when when I think one of the kids uses some kind of psychic power to and then they take refuge with a group of psychic who kill the guys chasing the kids.

Not sure what to make of this so far. At least it wasn't boring like Witch Hunter Robin.

Episode 2:

Ok, it's crystal clear now that the animation isn't this show's strength. :laugh:

That being said some interesting things happened this time. We learned that the two siblings are the offspring of the proffessor who was in the ruins of Delphys and set off the ''thing'' which changed the planet's structure. So that's why the two are being chased, but I wonder what's the point of keeping the children. Is there something special about them?

Episode 2:
Wow could the animation during that fight scene been any choppier. Other than that it was an interesting episode. The mysteries just keep growing. So group a calls group b devils and yet they turn into demonic looking creatures.

It is now obvious that the kids didn't run into the first group by accident and it is my guess that the kids have some kind of power of their maybe because of their relation to Madoka. Either way both groups want them and we are probably going to see plenty of poorly animated fights, but the show has the kind of atmosphere that WHR was lacking and I'm actually intrigued by all of the mysteries.

Episode 3:

An interesting episode with many revelations, I like how things are now beginning to come together. We now know that those three guys are something like Madoka/Enkidu's minions and their group is called Gilgamesh. The Countess and the other three guys are the opposing faction whose origins are not so clear, but as a first guess I'd say the Countess is that scientist who was talking to Enkidu in the room with the loudspeakers back in the first episode.

Also it seems the siblings do have latent abilities and that's why they're being chased.

So far the aspect I'm enjoying the most is how you can't really tell which group is the good or the evil, or if such denominations really have a meaning in this case because from a certain point of view they might all be ''evil'' for all we know. The siblings here are like some currency that the two groups are both trying to use first. Interesting situation they're in.

Episode 3:
So the countess was willing to buy Kiyoko and Tatsuya to keep them from leaving. I wonder if either group is really good or if it's going to be more of a grey area. Of course right now it looks like Gilgamesh is bad with them destroying the world and looking demonic when they transform but I'm sure things aren't that simple. It also looks like Madoka is still alive.

Tatsuya has some kind of power and it probably has something to do with why he was peeing blood. I'm interested in the mystery and the conflict between the two group as well as the reason the world was destroyed but I really wish they would cut back on the groan inducing fights.

Episode 4:

So the Countess was that scientist after all. Kind of obvious, but it's good to know these things for sure.

This episode wasn't as dynamic as the previous one but there were still some interesting points besides the development on the Countess, such as the composition of Gilgamesh's bodies or the myth of Gilgamesh, as well as Tatsuya releasing his power for the first time.

The story is progressing nicely so far, but I'm hoping for more characters and groups to be presented so that this can grow into a pretty comprehensive plot.

Episode 4:
Hmmm was it just me or was there a hint of some incest right there at the end?

Anyway interesting episode it looks to me like the countess' group is pretty well out gunned by Gligamesh. I'm not sure how they've survived this long with the brother's power. The countess was a kind of bitch when she insulted the girls piano playing although I think it's becuase it was a song the girl might have learned from her father. All the information about the legend of Gilgamesh was interesting even if I'm not sure how it fits into the plot yet.

Other than some issues with the animation this show is everything WHR is not.

Episode 5:

This was a more slow-paced episode. The show is better at making its characters enjoyable than I would have expected at first. You can see how they care for each other and for themselves, the doubts they have about why they're doing what they do... Their personalities are made in shades of grey and that's nice.

So the Gilgamesh guys have kidnapped Kiyoko, huh? I wonder how the story will turn out now. Also the tuning fork is appearing a lot as a symbolism for something, but I can't figure out what it is for now. Perhaps a symbol for the past life that won't come back (since Kiyoko played the piano before all of this happened).

Do you mind if we leave it here for today? It's getting kind of late and I'm sleepy (only slept ~4 hours yesterday).

Yeah that's fine. :)

Episode 5:
Gilgamesh kidnaps Kyoko after a weird dream sequence. It seems like they have a wide variety of powers to be able to distort reality and make them think they were back in the mansion from the beginning.

This episode was more about the relationships between the characters and we learn more about the other kids in the countess' group. This show is doing a decent job of developing it's characters and their relationships. I was a little supprised the usually cold countess was willing to let the boy sleep with her to comfort him.

I'm a little confused about why the countess wanted music to be played around the hotel. I think it was supposed to provide some kind of defense against the Gilgamesh. I wonder if that is going to turn out to be Kyoko's power, there is a reason she carries the tuning fork around. Of course it could also represent something like balance or harmony that was lost when the world was destroyed.

Anyway I'm supprised the show has such a low rating on here. Unless it really messes up later on this is going to be a fun show. It's only weakness right now is the animation.

Yeah that's fine. :)

Episode 5:
I'm a little confused about why the countess wanted music to be played around the hotel. I think it was supposed to provide some kind of defense against the Gilgamesh

Anyway I'm supprised the show has such a low rating on here. Unless it really messes up later on this is going to be a fun show. It's only weakness right now is the animation.

About the Countess and the music.
They discovered that the Gilgamesh are frequency sensitive. They are vulnerable to certain frequencies and they react with all frequencies. The music created a sound field that the Gilgamesh would react too. Essentially it would act like radar or sonar for detecting the Gilgamesh and thus give Tohru a break from having to use his powers all the time for detection purposes.

The low rating of the show has to do with many things. Most people can't get past the character designs and the animation. The rest who rate Gilgamesh poorly do it because of the ending. I really enjoyed Gilgamesh until the middle portion but the ending killed it for me, which is weird because the build up to the end was pretty good. While the show is designed to make more sense on a second viewing, after watching the way the show ended rewatching it became a real chore for me and after several failed attempts I was only able to succeed because I was filling out character info. I hope you enjoy it though. This show should get more love.

PS. remember to watch after the credits of the last episode for a final scene.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind the character design, although there is no doubt the animation is assy.

I do like the character designs. They are kinda emo-ish but I enjoy the way the style, the way they're drawn. In fact there are some still shots where they look very nice. The main problem is with movement imo.

The rest who rate Gilgamesh poorly do it because of the ending. I really enjoyed Gilgamesh until the middle portion but the ending killed it for me, which is weird because the build up to the end was pretty good. While the show is designed to make more sense on a second viewing, after watching the way the show ended rewatching it became a real chore for me and after several failed attempts I was only able to succeed because I was filling out character info. I hope you enjoy it though. This show should get more love.

PS. remember to watch after the credits of the last episode for a final scene.

Since you let it out of the bag, it was also the ending that ruined the show for me somewhat, I was actually really angry after the last episode. :frustrat:
About the last scene after the credits, I am eager to hear from you all what you think it was about, since I didn't get it.

Episode 6:

If someone asked me to picture the Gilgamesh guys as the bad people here I'd have a hard time. In the end there are just two different groups with different ideologies about what is the best for the world and what must be done, and I suppose it's up to the viewer to determine for themselves who, if any, is right (I like this kind of dicotomy and how the show doesn't try to force a particular opinion on me). However for me to make my pick I first need to know much more about both factions, especially about Gilgamesh and Enkidu since their means to reach their goals are very unknown at the moment. Anyways, as a result of this blurriness in the good/evil line I can easily sympathise with everyone in their own respects. I did feel sorry when the Gilgamesh guy died.

It seems something is starting to change inside Kiyoko. I can't wait for more developments on their powers.

Episode 6:
That was the most pointless kindnapping ever.

"We grabbed you so you would see your father."
"I'd rather not."
"Oh okay. You can go."

I figured they were going to use Kyoko to get to her brother. So according to the Gilgamesh group they are trying to restore balance to the world or something like that. The destruction was just a side effect of whatever it was they were trying to do. I liked that this episode started to show a more human side to Gilgamesh, until now they've seemed pretty emotionless in inhuman. I wasn't expecting them to actually be able to kill one of the Gilgamesh guys so soon.

I don't know how I feel about all of the psudoscience about antimatter. Part of me finds it interesting, but part of me thinks it sounds really ridiculous. Either way it would seem Gilgamesh can actually warp space and the kidnapping scene wasn't a dream.

More talk about music and specifically tuning this hold some important metaphorical meaning for the overall plot of the show. I'm not a sure exactly what that is yet though.

Episode 7:
Psychic snowball fight looks fun. Interesting watching Tatsuya develop his power and learning to control it. He was clearly bonding with the group much to his sister's dismay.

There is a distance growing between Tatsuya and his sister. She has always been cold toward the Countess, but now she is jealous of Tatsuya's growing relationship with the group as well as his growing confidence. Kyioko has been a bit colder toward her brother every since the kidnapping and she was being a bitch during their arguement at the end of the episode. I think she's right not to trust the Countess too much, but it is a good thing that Tatsuya is gaining some confidence. He was a huge pussy before.

What was the test that the countess had performed on Kyioko? From the context of the conversation I would say she was testing to see if she was a virgin or something.

Episode 7:

So, the Countess was implying Kiyoko had to prostitute herself to make a living since her mother was a hopeless drunkard? That's harsh.

I find it funny how the part where Isamu started to throw snowballs at Tatsuya seemed better animated than the serious fights. =P Anyways the snowball fight was kind of fun and a good pretext to have Tatsuya learn how to use his power.

As for the current scenario, I was expecting it. Tatsuya gets used to his new environment and in the process he naturally accepts to face his father, whereas Kiyoko feels left out and is opposed to all these new impositions. While I think she has a point in denying they have a reason to fight Gilgamesh or whoever, I also find she's being selfish. Their lives may have been bought, but their conditions at the moment are much better than how they'd be otherwise (she would be a whore and her brother would be probably be dissected and all his organs taken). The Countess does consider them part of her family, even if it's just a made up one.

Kiyoko apparently has run away. I wonder if she'll go with the Gilgamesh guys or they'll find her or what. Allegedly they need her to voluntarily collaborate so now that she's at her weakest emotionally I guess it's the moment to have her change sides.

Enjoying the character development on the Countess.

Back