Tag discussion needed: how to define certain tags (check frequently!)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
As the character database trudges forward, it's becoming necessary to add descriptions for the character tags so people know when and why to tag with them.

I'm going to post here whenever I need a community discussion regarding a tag - while I COULD unilaterally make decisions on my own, I'd love feedback from you guys instead to help guide how these tags will be used.

first up:

Alien
This has always been a weird one, even for tagging anime/manga. How and when should it be used?

For a series like Niea Under 7, the girl would pretty clearly deserve an Alien tag, since she touts herself as such. Also, it takes place in normal Earth time, so the concept of an alien (just as far as how we use it to refer to aliens), would make sense.

But what about a series like Dragon Ball or DBZ? Some people could argue that every single character who isn't from Earth, would be considered an alien. even though they look more like demons or animals - in that case, we're only taking into account the fact that they aren't from Earth.

That seems maybe too broad though, at least for me. What about series like LotGH or Vandread? Would every non Earth character period get an Alien tag? Would, instead, there need to be chars from Earth in the series, and then everyone else has to get the Alien tag?

I dunno, it just seems too broad - i'd like to get a guideline in place to help people know how and when to tag Alien (or if I should remove the tag, even).

Next up, age tags

I hadn't announced this yet because the mods are backlogged and can't do a huge wave of submissions (so please hold off if you aren't a mod), but we added a few new tags to bridge the age gap. eventually these tags will change into an age field, so please don't suggest we should do that (since we willl!)

Here's the age tag breakdown:

Baby: 0-2
Child: 3-12
Teenager: 13-19
Adult: 20-60/65ish
Elderly: 60/65ish+
Ageless: chars like Horo in which they are super old and might look a certain age, but they aren't that age

There can occasionally be edge cases - for example, the chars in Naruto are 12, but become 15 in Shippuuden. Since 12 is really close to being a teenager and they are teenagers in Shippuuden, we chose to tag the chars as teenagers.

Chars who change ages dramatically, we are choosing to not tag yet with these tags (just like we avoid student type tags if they change throughout the series). We also aren't tagging chars with an age tag unless we know the age.

The above is easy to determine for humans, but I've seen these tags being suggested for monsters too. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this, but in my opinion it seems like we should only use these tags for humans (or human-like) characters. An exception could be a baby or child monster where it's really obvious they are a baby or child.

But beyond that, it seems too unclear to tag. For example what if a monster lives for 700 years, and looks old, but is only 300 and technically an 'adult' - do we tag based on the age range of the person/creature, or based on our human definition? Or based solely on appearance? For example if a monster has an old man beard and a hunched back, do they get the elderly tag regardless?

Hmm, the age one is a toughie. Disregarding humans - because they're relatively easy - I'd say tag any aliens/monsters with/take on a humanoid appearance throughout the series - the likes of the aliens in UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie *shudder*, or Sebastian etc from Kuroshitsuji. If, however, it's a bit on the ambiguous side like I came across a character from Dragon Ball who was in his forties but has some illness that makes him LOOK like a teenager (wtf?!) then just leave the age tag off.

As for the alien tag... I'd suggest using it in two circumastances. 1. for every non earth character in a series that is primarily set on earth. 2. for characters that blatantly look like aliens. It's kind of like the idea of a foreigner tag. Would you tag anyone non japanese, in which case tagging the entire cast of Emma - which is set in england - as foreigner would just be weird.

I agree with cassiesheepgirl 100% on the aliens subject. Though I think for ages, anything above "baby" should be strictly for humans/humanoids...MAYBE child for a monster if it's a pinacle point of it's character. But definatly not teenager or adult...though possibly elderly if it's maybe like the elder of it's tribe/clan/pack/ect. or something, like Ayame's grandpa (he's a wolf) in InuYasha, he has the traits of an old man and they all referr to him as being the elder of their tribe. Or again, if it's a pinacle point of their character such as Darwin from Tegami Bachi who's only real role in the show is to be old(he's a dog). Where as for something like the 300yr old Garara Gator of Toriko, yes it's lived well past its life expectancy but it being old isn't the center of its character, the center of its character is its agressiveness and size so that wouldn't get an elderly tag. Hmmm...hope that makes sense. Teenager/Adult really dont matter for monsters though.

Last edited:
does that mean then that all characters who arent earth-related in DB/DBZ get the alien tag?

another one that needs dsicussion, Warrior. ambiguous and i'm not sure how to quantify it. Only people like Gatts? What about someone who is just a determined fighter? etc

I think part of the problem is that we are somehow focusing on tagging the characters in the series rather than the series itself. Obviously, tags which identify main types of characters such as 'vampires' or 'knights' make sense, as those not only define who is featured in the series, but also provide information on the atmosphere of the work in question.

People will disagree with the following suggestion as it is a subjective qualifier in and of itself, but how about using tags such as alien and age in the sense of the atmosphere rather than purely on an defined scale. In cases such as the aforementioned Naruto, using atmosphere as the qualifier would place the series as purely teenager. Set some rules and then apply them in regards to the use of the characters in the series.

This is a bit simpler than the wierd situations we have to work with but for example: if the monster in question is in fact an infant monster then baby would be an appropriate tag; however, if the monster is created suddenly and starts killing people right away then the actual technical age of the monster is irrelevant to the series and tagging it is a waste of time. If aliens are trying to take over earth then aliens would make sense as a tag, if the aliens are just in the series doing things, then the tag is unnecessary.

It depends on the intent behind the use of the tags. Even if you define your tags clearly, you are still going to have issues with interpetation. This is a situation where using fewer tags accurately will be much more helpful to users than trying to come up with lots of highly defined terms and using them everywhere they could conceviably be applied.

I say tag everybody who isn't from earth in DBZ an alien, if they have visited earth. Many random "aliens" visit planet Namek, but outside of earth I don't think the tag should be considered. The talking animals if I remember correctly are earthlings, despite appearances. The Namekians who come to earth should also be tagged as aliens. The characters in hell and above should not be tagged with alien. The demon one would probably work.

Cyborg
Part of me really wants to tag Ed Elric and that dog and a couple other characters as cyborgs, because they technically are, even though it's not really the first example people would think of.

Tsundere
Most of the "untraditional"/non-romantic tsunderes aren't tagged. Or rather, the ones that I would classify as such. If a character is listed as a tsundere on tvtropes or something, is it safe to say that they are?

These tags would be good.

Moe
Sister
Main Character
Samurai
Martial Artist

First of all, the Moe tag has been discussed heavily here and the general consensus was that it would be too subjective.

Secondly, Samurai and Martial Artist tags are alreay up and running.

Third: There is no need for a main character tag as whether a character is main, secondary or minor is already listed in bracket by the side of each anime in which they star. Also there isn't too much of a need for a sister tag. That sort of thing goes in the description.

Finally: This thread is about discussing the definitions of existing tags that may need to be further clarified for ease of use. If you would like to suggest tags, then please see this thread:

https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...86-character-tag-list-feedback-requested.html

:balloon:

Those characters on DBZ, Sayians and all the other are clearly tagged as Aliens imo and I think sometimes the tag Elderly and Baby can be easily attributed to some of the aliens, because some characters are designed with that in mind

Like for example:
Babidi | Anime-Planet and Kami | Anime-Planet

They are clearly designed as Elderly characters, in this case, Alien characters, therefore they both use a Walking stick to help showing that off.

As for Warriors, it should only be attributed to characters that are experienced combat fighters and if the tag Samurai, Ninja etc, it's not more appropriate.

I have a question though:

What should we tag the characters from Saint Seiya?
In my opinion it should be a mix of Warrior and Magic User (Meaning, using both), anyone with me? what do you guys think

Yea, they are definitely Warriors, or at least they refer to themselves as such. Magic-User/Warrior? It works, if I don't hung up on the technicalities, so I agree.

This also got me thinking about the Ronin Warriors. Tag them as Samurai, Warrior, Magic-User?

magic is a weird one - at the moment we're asking that people only tag magic user if it's flat out magic (they say magic, or its traditional magic spells, or they are a witch/wizard, etc).

it gets murky when factoring in other ambiguous (and non existent yet) tags such as psychic powers, superpowers, etc.

so what do you guys think, then, about elderly and baby being used for monsters, selectively, based on appearance? ie if they have a walking stick/beard/etc, they could be marked as elderly based on appearance?

I think part of the problem is that we are somehow focusing on tagging the characters in the series rather than the series itself. Obviously, tags which identify main types of characters such as 'vampires' or 'knights' make sense, as those not only define who is featured in the series, but also provide information on the atmosphere of the work in question.

People will disagree with the following suggestion as it is a subjective qualifier in and of itself, but how about using tags such as alien and age in the sense of the atmosphere rather than purely on an defined scale. In cases such as the aforementioned Naruto, using atmosphere as the qualifier would place the series as purely teenager. Set some rules and then apply them in regards to the use of the characters in the series.

This is a bit simpler than the wierd situations we have to work with but for example: if the monster in question is in fact an infant monster then baby would be an appropriate tag; however, if the monster is created suddenly and starts killing people right away then the actual technical age of the monster is irrelevant to the series and tagging it is a waste of time. If aliens are trying to take over earth then aliens would make sense as a tag, if the aliens are just in the series doing things, then the tag is unnecessary.

It depends on the intent behind the use of the tags. Even if you define your tags clearly, you are still going to have issues with interpetation. This is a situation where using fewer tags accurately will be much more helpful to users than trying to come up with lots of highly defined terms and using them everywhere they could conceviably be applied.

a fair point - bear in mind the tags do have multiple uses. for example, once the 'full' char db launches, one of the main uses we're targeting is a way to help replace or at least complement the 'identify the anime' type topic that shows up everywhere, in every anime community. let's say you remember a teenaged catgirl in a shoujo series - youll be able to search for that.

in this case, having teenager marked is important, to help find characters or identify them.

so what do you guys think, then, about elderly and baby being used for monsters, selectively, based on appearance? ie if they have a walking stick/beard/etc, they could be marked as elderly based on appearance?

Yeah, I've been doing this already.

Yes, I give my thumbs up for elderly aliens and baby aliens, now.. adult and teenager can be quite subjective so it shouldn't be tagged.

As for Saint Seiya, they should definitely be warriors, now if they can't have magic users (altough I think it would be adequate because it is some sort of magic), they should get some kind of new tag, SuperPowers would be my choice.

Also, what should we tag Soccer, Basket, American Football Players. They all get the Athlete tag?

at the moment yes, that's what sports players get. unless people think we should do individual tags for each sports type? would someone ptentially want to look up all baseball players, for example?

another tag question:

Student Council
atm it's tagged for all proper student councils (think marimite). but what about a class rep? they are sort of a part of the student council?

I always assumed the class rep was part of the student council with the meetings and such they have to participate in. They also have the same duties as a student council, but just for their particular class, no?

What should we do with characters like SON GOKU from dragon ball that grow older over the series, we saw him progressing from a baby to the older age, leave it alone with no age tag?

Small suggestion: Tag - Tattoos?

Back