New feature: personal anime "suggestions" for you!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Anime-Planet was created in 2001 as the first anime recommendation database on the web, and many people use it to date to figure out what to watch next (based on looking up a specific anime and seeing what other users recommend).

Now that V4 is out the door, our goal is to make Anime-Planet an even better resource for figuring out what to watch or read next, including other types of recommendations and suggestions. We'd like to still prioritize the user-contributed recs, but also plan to offer other types of suggestions you might personally enjoy.

Today we've launch a V1 of one type of suggestion, and will launch some other types of suggestions very soon to join them.

Now, on the anime homepage, your profile (under the ratings area), and a new personal suggestions page, you can see a set of anime that you might like. This content is based on what you've marked and all of the user recommendations in the recommendation database (so keep adding recommendations on the site, since users will see them via the personal suggestions page too!). V1 is very rudimentary and only filters out recs for titles you've rated a 2 or below. We'd like to launch a set of user preferences sometime soon so you can filter all suggestions further - for example, 'only show suggestions that are rated higher than [x]'.

5Wzvs8z.png

We also plan to implement weighting on the suggestions based on the tags you've marked loved or hated - for example, we'd prioritize showing you series that have tags you've marked loved, and deprioritize ones with tags you've marked hated.

With any suggestion, the tooltip provides an option to 'want to watch' (like on the watch online page, the season page, etc), or 'not interested'. Not interested means we won't show you this title again in any of the suggestions sections - you will continue to see these in the user recommendations for certain anime or manga. Clicking either option will remove the suggestion dynamically and show you a new one.

You can also opt-in if you'd like us to add 'not interested' titles to your 'won't watch' list. To do that, go to your edit profile page and choose the second option from the Personal Suggestions dropdown:

Bd3FqnU.png

Anime automatically marked 'won't watch' using this opt-in feature will show up in your feed and will be auto-shared if you've opted in, just like you had marked it yourself.

Upcoming updates (asap timeframe)

• Random loved tag anime (ie, "Horror anime you might like") - a random list of anime tagged with one of your loved tags
  • Related anime you haven't marked - a list of anime related to stuff you've marked, that you haven't marked yet
  • A new 'Recommendations' landing page from the main nav to showcase this type of content, instead of just linking to 'recent recs'
  • A similar set of suggestions for manga

We have lots of other ideas, but just wanted to get this V1 version of one type of suggestions out the door first. Hopefully this initial feature will help make the user recommendations more discoverable, and look forward to many new updates for this in the future!

Last edited:
Sometimes I think you don't actually read any of the site announcement text and just reply with a rant instead

This really looks cool!
I'm excited to see the favorite genres play a part as well!

The further development of this feature sound just osom, especially these:
We'd like to launch a set of user preferences sometime soon so you can filter all suggestions further - for example, 'only show suggestions that are rated higher than [x]'.

We also plan to implement weighting on the suggestions based on the tags you've marked loved or hated - for example, we'd prioritize showing you series that have tags you've marked loved, and deprioritize ones with tags you've marked hated.
:love:

This is really cool. The upcoming stuff sounds just as awesome too. Great job, and thanks a lot sothis! :love:

I would suggest adding a 3rd option; "want 2 watch, not interested, won't watch"
Just because we don't find a particular anime interesting enough to want to watch it doesn't necessarily mean we refuse to watch it. For the time being we can just stay opted out to avoid having not interested stuff getting marked as won't watch, but then when something pops up that we truly refuse to watch we have to go mark it manually, it'd be nice to be able to choose any of the 3 options right from the suggestions.

I see this seems to only be anime so far, do you plan to do it for manga next, or refine the anime one more first, or....?

This is a good idea & should satisfy many of the requests for a personal recs feature that keep popping up periodically.

I saw this on my profile page and said, WOAH, WAIT A MINUTE HERE! and had to come to the forum to find this topic to find out more about this cool new feature.

I love it, and will probably love it even more as it gets more refined in future. Looking forward also to the manga recommendation suggestions as well!

Upcoming updates (asap timeframe)

• Random loved tag anime (ie, "Horror anime you might like") - a random list of anime tagged with one of your loved tags
  • Related anime you haven't marked - a list of anime related to stuff you've marked, that you haven't marked yet
  • A new 'Recommendations' landing page from the main nav to showcase this type of content, instead of just linking to 'recent recs'
  • A similar set of suggestions for manga

We have lots of other ideas, but just wanted to get this V1 version of one type of suggestions out the door first. Hopefully this initial feature will help make the user recommendations more discoverable, and look forward to many new updates for this in the future!

Awesome! So happy that the site is evolving and I see you already have even more awesome features in the pipeline.
------
One suggestion: Is it possible to keep the *tags* in the pop-ups on this new recs page? The space seems to already be there and it would go a long way to painting a more complete picture.

It also was exactly what I looked at right before making a decision whether or not to add a show on my "want to watch" list.
---------------

:drinking:

Very nice! This will really be quite the excellent feature once all the filters are implemented.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Definitely a great addition for A-P! I'm just skimming through the list and I'm already finding quite a few interesting new series. Curse you, sothis, for adding even more anime to my WTW list. :@_@:

Interesting feature, this has huge potential. Just thinking about being recommended manga I actually would want to read, I like the sound of this.

Looking forward I would recommend implementing a way to mark shows we watched as not interested other then the current way. Because I may have marked something like Digimon as watched but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to watch anime I watched as kid now. Less variables in my opinion represents more accurate data.

This is just AWESOME! It's really helpful and I'm definitely looking forward for some further improvements. A small question though: Is there a way to reset things if you accidentally clicked the 'not interested'-button?

Maybe it's also a great idea if it could be additionally weighted based on the rating you gave your anime. With other words, recs from 5* are more common than 4*, ect... Just my two cents. ;)

Back