IMPORTANT: Upcoming server move (again :/)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
One month ago, I proudly proclaimed that we were moving to a server where downtime would cease to exist and speeds would be plentiful. Someone suggested FDC Servers to us, and we made the move.

...Then I painfully discovered over the last 4 weeks that FDC is a terrible, terrible company that NO ONE should ever purchase server space from.

I sincerely apologize for the poor connection speeds, page drops, and other problems over the last week (and month). No one has been more frustrated or angry as I, as this pushed us back a month on development of AP V3. However, hope is born...

I have just purchased a new server from the folks at ServerBeach, whose professionalism and reputation far outdo FDC. I am very hopeful and positive with this outcome. As soon as the server is up (the next 4-10 hours or sooner) we will begin the move. We will try to make this move as seamless as possible but there will be some overlap. Please keep this in mind if there is downtime - our goal is to get the site moved over as fast as possible, so you guys can go on with your browsing, we can go on with our developing, and FDC can go on being terrible without getting any of our money.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Evil evil server people makes me reload pages ad infinitum!
I am sad that you need to move the site again, but glad that I will get my A-P fix back

As a person that is in IT business for some years now, things like that make me furious. Companies that promise a service that they don't really provide, what a fraud!

i havent even gone into the details. let's just say this has been the WORST WEEK EVER and i plan on letting every hosting forum that i know of about why i think FDC should never be patronized again.

basically, i opened tickets for the last week saying "it's a network problem. please fix it" and they kept closing them as "sorry, not a n etwork problem, you must be getting DOSed". after we finally proved that they were capping the traffic, they THEN did something about it (which is why the pages at least mostly load now) - however, any user cant get more than about 30kbps consistently. HELLO THROTTLING! but of course they won't admit it.

had they looked into the problem a week ago that would have been great, but they kept closing the tickets like it wasnt their problem. and no offers to reimburse me, etc - pretty much a "sorry, the SLA doesnt promise anything" from management.

FUCK THAT.

As a person that is in IT business for some years now, things like that make me furious. Companies that promise a service that they don't really provide, what a fraud!

It pisses me off too, there are way too many hosts that lie and cheat, that's why I always tell my friends that need a website to go with a trusted name, not some new webhost that promises great speeds or some hosting service your friend set up.

FDC is definitely, definitely well known and one of th elarger hosts

good news - the new server is now online. we've started the steps to move it over, and hope to have it done by tonight!

This works so much better... I had to reload the page 5 or 6 times before... >_<

Glad you moved to another server again... And dont get to angry about it... Yes, they are frauds, and yes, it was terrible, but with getting angry about it, it wont fix itself... ^_^

we havent moved yet. FDC did a minor fix so now the pages load BETTER, but they are still very slow. the new server is online but the site has not moved to it yet. we hope to have this done tonight (for me, that's in the next10-12 hours) - it will in theory be WAY faster then

Yeah. Right now the pages load without needing to be refreshed, but they still take a long time.

Hey, I bet I know what FDC stands for:
(very offensive language, don't click)
Fucking Dumb Cunts

OK. I will be immensely and immeasurably glad when this transfer is complete. The site is still crashing on every single page load for me. I'm terribly terribly sorry that you've had to get another server, but I swear I will be celebrating when it is up.

FDC is definitely, definitely well known and one of th elarger hosts

I never heard of them until recently. :p Still, I'd always go with a company like Rackspace or Siteground rather than a fancy designed company like FDC. :drink:

personally, I prefer hosts like https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/
but I think they mostly work out for smaller sites without much traffic. In some instances, lack of a static IP might also be a downside. And of course it's not a dedicated host.

Still, whatever host is being used now seems really speedy.

slogger: i doubt that could handle 600-800 gb of traffic and 2.5 million pageviews a month ;)

Back