[SUGGESTION] Change "stalled" to "on hold"

Drahken

Cross-eyed Cyclops
Non-native english speakers frequently come into the chatroom & ask what "stalled" means. Most of these people seem to understand easily what "on hold" means though. With this in mind, I think it'd be a good idea to change "stalled" to "on hold".

part of me wonders if they're only familiar with 'on hold' because that's MAL's terminology

(i say that because this would be a very costly change to make - timewise/complexity-wise, so the bar would be high for changing it / it would need to be for a very strong reason)

*shrug* I had done some looking around & of the other anime/manga list sites which include such a status, about half use "stalled" and about half use "on hold".
Meanwhile, the people in chat who are confused about "stalled" don't appear to be familiar with/have used MAL (though I didn't specifically ask).

If it's not easy to change the label on the site, I would suggest putting up a poll somewhere (probably facebook would get the most results) & get a better idea what most people think.

Let me give my 0.02€: the word “stalled” is not obvious for non-native-speakers, and if we've heard it at all, we'll associate it with “can't get X to move” (stalled car, stalled download) rather than intentionally stopped. On the other hand, “on hold” is obvious, MAL or not.

But "stalled" seems PERFECT terminology to me, ESPECIALLY with “can't get X to move” definition!!!!! *wink*

This might be something better left to poll foreign people about. Or maybe a cute little Anime-Planet tutorial could be made that includes explaining the status markers?

Back