an idea about anireq

r2kordmaa

I think that recommendations could be made automatically based on peoples watched lists, so when an anime is in someones watched list every other anime in the same list is recommended for it. With few thousand users such statistics would give pretty useful results.
I understand that it couldnt repleace the current recommendation system but maybe these two systems could somehow co-exist.
Maybe it would be good idea to calculate percents of comability on two animes recommended for each other (by current system) that would represent amount of people having one anime in their list divided by amount of people having both animes in their list. Such feature would give some idea how good the reccommendation is.
An example:
lets take two animes, bleach and naruto. they are reccommended for each other. now when we look at peoples watched lists lets say we get following results:
50 people have naruto but not bleach in their list
50 people have bleach but not naruto in their list
100 people have both naruto and bleach in their list

the result is that there are 100 people who have watched only one of them and 100 who have watched both, so compability percent would be 50%

based on watched lists animes popularity could also be calculated stateing how many people have seen it

on another subject - users watched list link could be added to users profile, would be convinient

I think it's a grand idea... because current recommendations wont give you a proper overview about their similarities...

because current recommendations wont give you a proper overview about their similarities...

err, they actually do... you just have to click the "click here to read why!" link for each one. different people have different reasons for recommending, and the reasons are always required (and we have rules in place as far as what you can or can't recommend). this way, people can selectively follow whichever recommendations seem to work well for them.

r2, this is an interesting idea and i'll look into it. i just have always been very cautious about putting any sort of algorithm in place for the recs, as i want them to be very personal. in my opinion, just because an anime is heavily watched, does not mean it makes the best recommendation. some of the best recommendations i've read have been for obscure and rare series that no one has seen. the recommendation might fit far more than a generic popular recommendation, yet it still shows up at the bottom of the list (as it won't have as many users recommending it). does this mean it's not a very good recommendation? in my opinion, no.

that's also why i've never liked an average rating for an anime. it will always be skewed by popularity, yanno?

but, i'll look into this idea.

soon i'll have the ability up to add favorites as well, ,so you'll be able to easily see your favorite users' recommendations.

for the watched link in the profile, that's definitely in the works :) we are actually designing a new look for each of the home pages (https://www.anime-planet.com was just launched, and we are redoing a similar look for the users, reviews, and anirec pages, as well as each user page), so soon the profile page will look a lot different. expect links to a bunch of things such as watched, saved, recs, etc.

thanks for the comments! please post more when you think of them.

I don't think this is a good idea.
Simply put- I don't think people who like Ebichu would necessarily like...say...Elfin Lied.
Both are in my Watched. Would I recommend them? Not on a 'if you liked this you might like _____' bases, hell no.

Back