Now launched: rest of character database, site search, etc

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I've just launched quite a big batch of new updates:

FIRST, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO A HARD-REFRESH AND/OR DELETE YOUR CACHE in your browser as otherwise you may have the wrong js/css cached

-Brand new characters homepage, which includes a snazzy new way to do a quick search (including popular tags, based on which characters are favorited). We will likely be updating the anime/manga homes to have a similar box in the future.

-Top characters list

-Brand new site search - select from a dropdown, switch between result sets easily

-New, slimmed down search bar on all browse pages (including previous ones that didn't have a bar, such as users/reviews)

-Adv search dropdown now closes by default on subsequent pages

-Bug fixes for adding chars (duplicated titles in autocompletes, typing fast in autocompletes made text disappear, etc)

Known issues:

-Forum seach dropdown is weird
-Only basic/exact searches work right now
-We'll soon be adding functionality so one result == forward to that result
-Heading image for alphabetical tables is now cut off
-Top line of tags in the char search adv search dropdown is weird

I hope you enjoy the rest of the character database, and step 1 of the new badass site search! ^_^

Last edited:
Cool, the char homepage is really nice. Now that school's over I should really stop being lazy and mark some favorites -.-'

Also glad to have specified search again, even better knowing single result functionality is on the way. The little browse buttons were greatly needed, a lot of people didn't seem to know where they could actually get to the advanced search or tags and such.

I'm liking this new character homepage and popular characters. :D The search is brilliant as well, although I had to refresh quite a few times before it came up properly. ^^"

Way to go!!! :D

More updates, I was especially waiting for the top characters, when I first registered in this website, I thought the only thing missing was a character database, now the website is close to perfect, now you guys should get a Top list for each tag so we could see who is the favorite "Epic Eyebrows" (just an example) character and so on xD!

Great website, great community! I'm thankful being a part of it :D

PS1: L is at first place! Hell Yeah!
PS2: I think this top character list will finally get more people to comment on the character's personal page, wich will be great.

Thanks soo much Sothis <3
In celebration, I think I'll add some characters today ^-^

why does the search not have an "all" category anymore?

This was a tough decision but one we felt we had to make.

For a long time people have been complaining about not being able to mark status on the search results page, so we decided to add the dropdown and have it point people to each section, where they can view and do the same things they're used to in that section. Adding the quick 'switch to' filter when searching by name, as well as simplifying the search bar on each browse page for easy name search, were additional steps to make the process as painless as possible.

But making an 'all' page with a table with status updates, a new design and code isn't something we are able to do right now, and imo it would also not be consistent with the new site search.

Looks like the submit a character form is messed up right now, so please don't use it for a little bit until we figure out what the issue is :)

Make Sure To Full Refresh (Ctrl + F5)

If you're having any issues with the site, please do a full refresh of your browser (Ctrl + F5). I've modified the JS libraries so that you should never have to perform a full refresh again to get updates and new features. Expires, last-modified, and if-modified-since headers for the win.

I just whipped up some firefox search plugins for the specific searches:
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/anime-planet_anime.xml
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/anime-planet_manga.xml
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/anime-planet_chars.xml
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/anime-planet_users.xml
http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/anime-planet_reviews.xml

To use these, download them & put them in your firefox/searchplugins folder. Then go to your profile folder (something like C:\Documents and Settings\someone\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cyrtudtfuy on windows) and delete the search.json file, then restart firefox. (FF will recreate the search.json file if it doesn't exist when it launches, using whatever search plugins you have in your folder. If search.json already exists, then FF just reads it & ignores all the files in the plugins folder.)

why are the number of episodes not shown in the search results
The # of eps has never been in the lists. Go to the alphabetical lists or your status lists, none of them list the total eps. The only eps any of them show is how many eps you've seen, and the new search shows that as well.

also it seams the error range for searches has decreased
Seriously, it helps a lot of you read the existing posts (especially the first post) before posting. It's stated in the known issues section of the first post that searches are currently much more specific than before:
sothis said:
Known issues:
-Only basic/exact searches work right now

Back