Moderator positions available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hi everyone,

With some of the recent projects underway (like synopses and characters), we're looking to bulk up our moderators for a few other areas so that more projects can be completed faster.

Certain moderator roles require different levels of training, but the one thing they all share is that interested users should have ongoing free time to help on the project - being available for a week every few months won't be a good fit, as with most of these projects, we need a team of folks who can put a bit of daily (or close to daily) time into maintaining their sections.

This is the first of a batch of posts about moderator positions, with more to come later.

Import moderators

Anime-Planet doesn't have hentai content, but some other sites that we offer importing from do. This means that the manga import failures list is often cluttered with dozens and dozens of pages of hentai (or obscure and untranslated light novels) that we won't be able to add. The manga mod team is also very small at the moment, so we don't have the time to sift through all of these titles and 'hide' ones that we won't be able to add.

Import moderators are trained on the basics of what types of manga we do and do not add on the site. Afterwards, you're given access to browse the failure list, and would be responsible for hiding things we don't plan to add.

Mod requirements:

-Ongoing, frequent availability to check the failure list to keep it cleaned out. It doesn't take a lot of time to ensure it's taken care of, especially if there are a few folks checking it.

- Familiarity with manga (meaning you haven't just read 10 titles - you're familiar with the types of manga, what a one shot is, etc)

-Attention to detail/able to follow carefully crafted guidelines

Manga moderators

Manga moderators are trained on the same content as import moderators but a lot more as well, and go through a more thorough training process. We need about 5-7 active moderators to join the team so that we can spruce up the database much faster and reply to user requests faster as well.

Because our main trainer is in Europe, ideally we'd first get a few Europeans moderators onboard (as training could be easier) but worldwide mods are also good.

Mod requirements:

-Ongoing, frequent availability to moderate. There are always a wide variety of projects that need to get done in the manga section and frequent upkeep of certain threads is important (such as adding import failures that need to be added, dealing with user submissions, etc)

-Long-term commitment to the project (rather than sparse/infrequent availability) as training takes awhile and we need a core group of active folks in order to move forward

-Some other core requirements, such as daily (or close to it) checking of the moderator forum and replying to new posts, helping with mod projects, etc

-Familiarity with manga in general (types, etc)

Other types of manga modding

Ideally, we'd have a big enough manga mod team that the mods themselves would claim/take care of certain aspects, but until then, there are some things that others could help with to save us time while we build the team. For example:

-A few people to check legal sites like Mangabox and CR and look for any new series that are added, and then letting us know in the requests thread ASAP. We'd like to make sure we have 100% of titles from legal sources and this requires ongoing/daily checks.

-Chapter updaters to browse daily releases and increment our counts accordingly. We have a process that works relatively well for this, but requires daily checking (preferably by multiple people to make sure things aren't missed). This is the main miscellaneous 'position' that requires a bit of training, to know when we add chapters vs not.

People moderators

We're looking to get an active team of people moderators to handle the staff database. There are a few main tasks:

-Looking out for dub announcements and filling in voice actor information when missing. This is a common task that the character moderators do, but we'd like if a team of people mods could handle this instead, including the requests thread for missing VAs.

-Deal with ongoing projects to make the database better, such as adding missing images

Anime episode updaters

Most current season anime are updated automatically due to the partnerships the site has with Crunchyroll and Hulu. But some seasons, the coverage is less sparse due to who has licensed the content, so episodes need to be updated the old way: manually. Additionally, things like DVD specials (which aren't available on legal stream sites) have to be updated manually as well.

We need a team of 5-7 folks whose sole job is to check episode counts and update them (including replying to the anime requests thread when something is out of sync). There are some rules to learn about when to add episodes vs not, and when we should add new entries instead of increasing episode counts.

Mod requirements:

-Ongoing, frequent availability (preferably daily) to check the day's releases and update episode counts.

-Check and reply to the anime requests thread frequently for episode updates

If you're interested...

Please reply here with which positions you're interested in, and why you'd make a good mod in that section.

:drinking:

Position People Moderator

:nervous: I'm interested in the People moderators .
And as to why I could possibly be a good people moderator is because i'm usually on daily and like to help people. (does this role also includes adding the synopsis of anime? If so I think I could be fairly good at writing some as I see a lot of anime here with "Will be replaced by a unique synopsis written by Anime-Planet and updated tags." and/or "No synopsis yet - check back soon!"). I see that quite a lot of characters have missing VA and would like to fill them up. I am self-motivated and would like to help this website with everything it had done to me.

I am interested in potentially being a "People Moderator". At least I'm interested in learning more about the position. I watch mainly dubbed anime, and I have in the past gone and tried to look when a certain anime will be coming out dubbed. With the right links it would not be to much trouble for me to take a look each day and update new info that is added. In addition I love the site "behindthevoiceactors.com", I constantly finding myself looking up who voices what character and what else they have done. For these reasons I am interested in learning more about the position.

You can put me down for Anime episode updater

It drives me nuts when I can't update my list cause the episode count isn't updated. I'd enjoy being able to remedy the situation when I see it.

I can do the eps, too. Sothis knows first hand I know what hard refresh is and I had a tiny experience and ZK can teach me first hand. ZK sleeps when I am up and vice versa so perfectly compliment each other... also

I sleep with one of the staff so I know the rules. Like who is better for the position that one that sleeps her way up.

Joke. Sorta. I am willing to help, though.

:nervous: I'm interested in the People moderators .
And as to why I could possibly be a good people moderator is because i'm usually on daily and like to help people. (does this role also includes adding the synopsis of anime? If so I think I could be fairly good at writing some as I see a lot of anime here with "Will be replaced by a unique synopsis written by Anime-Planet and updated tags." and/or "No synopsis yet - check back soon!"). I see that quite a lot of characters have missing VA and would like to fill them up. I am self-motivated and would like to help this website with everything it had done to me.

Being a site synopsis writer and having the power to add (temporary) synopses - an Anime/Manga Full Moderator ability - are both separate from each other, and they don't seem to be positions that are currently being accepted. But if adding missing VAs appeals to you, then becoming a People Moderator would be a great fit!

I am interested in potentially being a "People Moderator". At least I'm interested in learning more about the position. I watch mainly dubbed anime, and I have in the past gone and tried to look when a certain anime will be coming out dubbed. With the right links it would not be to much trouble for me to take a look each day and update new info that is added. In addition I love the site "behindthevoiceactors.com", I constantly finding myself looking up who voices what character and what else they have done. For these reasons I am interested in learning more about the position.

That's awesome! We're especially behind in adding dubs. From what you've written, you sure sound like you'd love this job. What else did you want to learn about the position?

I am interested in the "adding dubbed voice actors". I absolutely love dubs and it's my most preferred anime viewing option. I also keep up with FUNimation, Sentai Filmworks, Aniplex of America and others when they release cast lists. :)

Import moderator is right up my alley. While I'm not online much during the day, my nights are open for this.

What is the big difference between Import and Manga moderators? What does the Manga mod do more as the import mod?

if everyone who's replied so far can come into chat, we can talk privately :) (including King, if you decide that's something that interests you)

as a note to what randomredneck said, i'm guessing it wasn't meant this way, but one thing to remember for anyone wanting to be a mod is that you'll be responsible for all updates for a section :) we've had this problem in the past where mods have volunteered but only touch the things they themselves are watching/reading/etc. as mods our job is to check all of one type of content (so all eps released that day, for ex.... or all chapters, or all VAs for a series) rather than just selective ones :)

What is the big difference between Import and Manga moderators? What does the Manga mod do more as the import mod?

way more. manga mods add totally missing manga, update existing manga if needed (wrong information, wrong chapter counts, etc). add missing/temporary synopses, update the images to be bigger ones (since a lot of them are old/small), etc.

you can think of manga moderators like the uber mods of the manga area :) import moderators or chapter updaters are two smaller sets of modding, all of which full manga mods can do. so even if you train to be one of the lower levels now, it means training to be a full mod later on is easier.

yep, if everyone can please come into chat we can talk :) there's a private chat option in there, if i see your name i'll initiate one

Last night I trained the following two new moderators:

-Bluntjoker (import failures. To be trained on full manga modding by Rfsancho)
-Tentoumushi (episode updates. To be trained on full anime modding by Damias)

Mimori planned to come into chat tonight for us to go over people moderating. I'll be available from about 7-10 PM PST. KingSpade and faizal, if you're able to come in tonight around that time, we can go over the information together as a group to save time. Let me know here if that's possible, as we can hold off until everyone is available.

randomredneck, I just missed you last night, will contact you via PM to see if we can go over things sooner.

This group so far puts is in much better shape for episode updates and for missing VAs, though we could still use a few more people in each group.

Would love to get more manga moderators in the wings, as that's the group where we're in most need right now. Or, some of the lesser manga roles to get trained in pieces (such as at least 2 more people to help Bluntjoker out with monitoring the failure list, and at least 3 people for chapter updating. If eventually all of those folks turn into full manga moderators, we'll be in a better place to conduct ongoing projects to make the manga database better)

I could help with updating the manga chapters. I already help with updating episodes and tagging, but I don't think helping out with manga chapter updates would be overload. With episode updating we've got new help coming in and with tagging I can keep up with the level of request we get pretty easily. Plus whatever tagging I do for what I read and watch on my own.

So unless you think it'd be too much work, I can do that. I'd just need to know the best place to check for updates each day. I've been reading more manga recently anyway trying to get tags on things where I can.

I could help with updating the manga chapters. I already help with updating episodes and tagging, but I don't think helping out with manga chapter updates would be overload. With episode updating we've got new help coming in and with tagging I can keep up with the level of request we get pretty easily. Plus whatever tagging I do for what I read and watch on my own.

So unless you think it'd be too much work, I can do that. I'd just need to know the best place to check for updates each day. I've been reading more manga recently anyway trying to get tags on things where I can.

There's a few differences between anime and manga in this regard, I'd say:

1. There's way, way more ongoing manga than there are anime (since ongoing manga lasts years and years) and sporadic releases all the time, so ideally we'd have a pretty big team that does nothing but checks chapters. It needs to be an order of magnitude higher than whatever we have for anime (but on the flipside, way more people watch anime, so while there's more manga than anime, it's not quite as mission critical that chapters are up to date the same day)

2. It requires a bit of extra training to know when we add chapters vs not (specifically things that do NOT increase chapter count, like specials/0.5 chapters, and what to do if something is finished and needs to be marked complete). Basically there's just a bit more complexity

If you've been reading a bunch of manga then going even partway to becoming a full manga mod is a good thing, as if eventually you turned into a full manga mod, you'd be able to fix up anything you touch with tags (such as replacing the big image, tweaking something else, etc)

So it's up to you - I'll contact Bamboocha and see about what he normally does to check chapter counts each day, so we can get a guide created. After that point it would just mean chatting with me (hangouts or chat) about chapters vs vols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back