I wonder.....about the reliablity?

V

Vaikran

Is this Site even reliable? with the anime recommendation. For Example they have .hack//sign and .hack//gift . BUT were is .hack//ROOTS on the list? the
Series that comes AFTER .hack//sign and is pretty important. Thats just an example...which makes me wonder...if they dont even have that series on there....what other series are they missing? thats why i question weather or not this site is even reliable.

Hello,

It's true that the Anime Recommendation Database is missing series. This is because all information in the Anime Recommendation Database was hand submitted by a person. This means that we don't take information from other sites, no screenshots from other sites, etc. Any information that you see was written by someone who uses the site (often me), and all screenshots were hand taken.

This means that unless I personally have watched the series, I rely on people like you to submit information. If you are ever willing to do such a thing, I do give out "points" for submitting information. You can then exchange these points for DVDs or any other prize that I have. ^_^

So, thank you for posting this, but please keep in mind that this site is run by a single person (me), and we care more about quality than quantity. We certainly are missing series, but they are added as soon as possible, and I don't think that makes the site unreliable at all. I stand by the quality of the site, hands down.

If you are ever interested in helping out, please let me know :). Or, if there are series that aren't in the database that you'd like to see up, please let me know and I can do my best to find someone to help add the information, quickly.

I've been wanting to know for some time, how exactly does one go about compiling/submitting said information? Also, do you need some kind of special program or something to get screenshots? There are quite a few shows I've seens that are missing, but I'd like to see if I can add them myself rather than dumping the task on somebody else >.<

I've been wanting to know for some time, how exactly does one go about compiling/submitting said information? Also, do you need some kind of special program or something to get screenshots? There are quite a few shows I've seens that are missing, but I'd like to see if I can add them myself rather than dumping the task on somebody else >.<

The procedure I've been following is that I simply write up a description of the show with 590 characters including spaces as a general target length. Then I take screenshots of varying aspects from the series using whatever video player or other programme I prefer (which would be BSplayer for me, but some swear to VirtualDub or other programmes that can skip ahead frame by frame), usually including scenery shots, protagonist close-ups, action shots if applicable, etc. At least 6 generic screenshot and one for a "main image" for the entry, but I usually include a wider selection.

Then I e-mail both the text and a .zip archive with the screenshots to [email protected] and sothis works her magic on it. :)

Screenshots can be taken in many ways. I think sothis still uses virtualdub(mod?), whereas I used to do it with Zoom Player. I even had a lot of custom keyboard shortcuts added (for framestepping, etc) to make it simple... Well, I still use them but I take the actual screenshots using the method explained here http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#How_do_I_capture_screenshots.2Fgrab_frames.3F except for anamorphic video I would use VLC player's snapshot feature because I can't be bothered to manually fix the aspect ratio. Well, not like that's something you'd need to deal with that often if you're dealing with fansubs... You can use whatever you find the easiest.

As for the content of the images: no subtitles showing, have a scenery shot or few, have a few candidates for the main image for the series (named, for example, main1, main2, etc), take enough pictures so sothis has enough to choose from. Note that the main images in anirec are square shaped (and the rest are 4:3): scenes that look good in widescreen (ie, where characters are at the edges of the image) might not work at all in anirec because they need to be cropped. The main image should ideally have something happening in it that describes the series well (reference picture: https://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/337.html), not just simply as many of the main characters you can cram into one picture.

There are some requirements regarding the content and the quality of the synopsis part as well. See the previous link for some hideous typos and grammar that won't fly anymore (sothis: wasn't there any talk of fixing this one when I took the new screenshots?). You might be asked for full or partial rewrites, and/or your entry might be radically edited. Just so it won't come as a shock later :)

As an amusing anecdote, the entry for Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu took three complete rewrites by yours truly, and was THEN edited by sothis before making it into the anirec :/

As for the style and content, read existing entries. I often think of them as blurbs (the short bits of text at the backs of books) and pretend I'm writing one. The target length of the entries used to be quite strict (what Frost said), but apparently longer entries are possible under the new system. Sothis can tell more about that...

I know that was a lot of "rules" to follow. Don't fret about them too much, though: sothis (and occasionally others) can help make up for whatever you missed. I merely listed it all (or what I remember of it) in case you want to be really, really helpful :)

in cythraul's defense iriya was one of his first :p

yeah, i'm going to be updating some of the older entries once i have some time and the tool is up :) thanks for explaining the process, both of you.

i actually have a document i started writing up that explains the process, just haven't had time to finish it due to working on features ^_^;;

i just wanted to leave one final note about anime-planet: we have been and always will be a community supported site. i'd love for more of the community to get involved in helping it grow, from the series entries, to making recommendations (which are all community submitted). :)

Back