Using Firefox 11 with an open anime list tab may screw up your list

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
You can read about the first report of this here. It looks like Firefox 11 is behaving badly, and when you have a tab open to your list, your counts get messed with when you restart them.

I can investigate if there's something we can do on our end, but most likely this is a browser issue - articles out there seem to agree that it's a buggy, subpar version of the browser.

The best solution is to not have a tab auto-open or auto refresh directly to your list (perhaps bookmark your profile instead). There's also the option of using a different browser or reverting to FF 10.

So yeah - I'll see if there's something we can patch on our end to fix FF's bad behavior, in the meantime I wanted you to be aware of the issue, since I've been getting several reports about it. If you find this happens to you, check your personal activity feed and you'll have a clear picture of what happened, so you know what to revert the list items to.

Small notice: in aurora stage 11 was working properly
current aurora 13 is also ok for me
just enables "smooth scrolling", option making scrolling more choppy xD(few clicks and everything is back to normal)

Constant updates seem to do more harm than good with Firefox (but not with Chrome, possibly because it was designed from the ground up to be updated rapidly).

It's sad seeing this, i have always been very pro firefox in my life time sinse the day i first used it but it seems problem after problem is appearing everywhere (heck they got so many issues with how it works with google... mine wont even let me view more than 10pages of images with instant image loading ><).
I fortunatly have it open in my profile page and the home page (seeming anime planets my number 1 tab and all) so hopefully i wont get any problems but i will keep a eye out.

Google Chrome's the way to go =D Used to use Firefox but for many reasons, I decided to abandon it.

This behaviour confirmed even in Firefox 14 (aka: Nightly, compiled from source today) and I even use the SessionManager add-on to restore tabs, not the built-in Firefox functionality to restore sessions. Nonetheless, bug is still present.

Annoying...

i admittedly am not a FF guru and i dont know how session restore works in the browser's sense, so for all i know there's something coded poorly on our end that's suddenly appeaing with a change FF made... i just have no idea how i'd figure out if that's even happening. on our end we make a change and it doesnt affect people's lists - if a series is marked completed, the option for 'watched' shows up, but it doesnt actually update anyone's list and all... i can only assume for that reason that it's a browser flaw

Firefox has just been getting worse. It's gotten to the point where I see articles everywhere about how it's becoming more and more obsolete. It's time for even me to convert over to chrome.

Hmmm, still using Firefox... call me a die-hard fanboy if you will lol.

Haven't experienced any problems that have been reported here though,
and yes I've updated to the latest version (in case you were wondering).

Definetly its can't be the FF issue, but the problem exists. I have this problem only in one title "Yu-gi-oh". I marked it "watched", but after about a week it turns back to unmarked by itself. And it happens again and again. Last time I noticed (using "My feed" page) that "Yu-gi-oh" turned unmarked again while I did some marking on other titles. So its does not connected with browser..

Yes, I using FF. But the conditions under which the problem showed itself in the last time, prove that there is not the FF. Also strange is that the problem appears with an interval of about a week, although I visit my page almost every day.

Even if the problem is related to FF, it's a compatibility issue with the FF site, so this is your problem, not the browser, IMHO

id love to patch the site if i knew what the problem was - i dont, all i know is that this started happening with FF11 and nothing on the site code has changed, so unfortunately the 'its a browser issue' might be the only thing i can say here.

if i get a solid set of repro steps it will be easier to troubleshoot why FF is behaving badly. so far i dont have a set that i can reproduce

FF11 and nothing on the site code has changed, so unfortunately the 'its a browser issue' might be the only thing i can say here.
okay, so Mozilla must fix it and we'll wait for this..

New observations. Recently my list were screwed again and I noticed that pairs of titles exchanged their marks. It should be noted that my internet chanel was filled, page loaded slowly and when browser displayed it (continuing load), there are circle process indicators right to some titles, not all. When loading was finished there no changes on the page, but sometime later, when i go to my feed page, i saw that changes.

UPD. Also must be noted that list may be screwed only when loading pages with your own list. So there is a sence to focus on that site code, which is responsible for loading list. As an option, you can contact to firefox development community in order to find out what changes have occurred in FF11+

Last edited by a moderator:
Back