Kyousougiga

Deathly

Kyousougiga
Alt title:

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here

Premiere: 3 October 2013, 01:30 AM JST
Extended PV (Unfortunately only SD)

I didn't understand a thing after watching the PV, but this could be somehow an interesting one.
I'll definitely check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this up. It normally airs today.
Any other people who check this one out? I can't be the only one... :P

Episode 1:

I have no idea what they were thinking, but they managed to take all the appeal Kyosogiga had on me and throw it away...

I'm quite disappointed. There's no ultra fast pace Kyousogiga was known for, and there's no perplexing storytelling that made it interesting. Instead of that, the show decided to slow down a lot, and explain everything step by step... beauty of Kyousogiga's world for me was that it was mysterious and demanded some thinking and obervation... and they ruined that magic by explaining it as clearly as possible. Other half of the charm is still there, but without that pace the bizarre doesn't feel quite right. Granted, there's still that captivating energy in both world and characters that stands out... but that's the only thing that got me so far. I have no idea what they want to do with it, and as of now I'm quite concerned...

Episode 1:

I have no idea what they were thinking, but they managed to take all the appeal Kyosogiga had on me and throw it away...

I'm quite disappointed. There's no ultra fast pace Kyousogiga was known for, and there's no perplexing storytelling that made it interesting. Instead of that, the show decided to slow down a lot, and explain everything step by step... beauty of Kyousogiga's world for me was that it was mysterious and demanded some thinking and obervation... and they ruined that magic by explaining it as clearly as possible. Other half of the charm is still there, but without that pace the bizarre doesn't feel quite right. Granted, there's still that captivating energy in both world and characters that stands out... but that's the only thing that got me so far. I have no idea what they want to do with it, and as of now I'm quite concerned...

I have to disagree massively. The reason it was so fast paced and had such perplexing storytelling was because it was only an half hour long OVA and five 6 minute long ONAs. This first episode was beautifully done because it finally set up how the entire Mirror Capital came to be and why the three siblings rule it. The quick pacing was only brought about by Koto who didn't show up in this episode until the end.

I have to disagree massively. The reason it was so fast paced and had such perplexing storytelling was because it was only an half hour long OVA and five 6 minute long ONAs. This first episode was beautifully done because it finally set up how the entire Mirror Capital came to be and why the three siblings rule it. The quick pacing was only brought about by Koto who didn't show up in this episode until the end.

Uh uh. Everything that happened in this episode was done in first OVA... and everything they explained in this episode was also presented there in much madder and subtler way. Heck, first episode did the same shit first OVA did worldbuilding/story-vise... but you can see the difference in how they decided to present it... first OVA could literally be the first episode...

This first episode was beautifully done because it finally set up how...

See, that's the problem right there. They shouldn't be explaining what's going on. The originals were excellent because they required the viewer to sit patiently and sort out what was going on. The chaotic delivery (due to rapid scene changes, not due to Koto) fit in perfectly with the dream-land style storyline.

For them to be telling the same story over again, in spoon-feed mode is insulting, and devalues the show.

Episode 2:

It's here, but it's slow.

While there may not be the same dream-like atmosphere first 2 OVAs achieved due to their explosive nature and fast scene changes, there's still something that's embodying the heart and energy of the original Kyousogiga, making it a whole lot better than the first one.

This time around, the old tone was quite apparent, mainly because it didn't decide to explain absolutely everything as the first one did, as ordinary as it may be. I still don't feel like there's anything going on. It just seems like we're still in the process of world building. We get to see Koto's backstory, which was quite interesting tbh, and I love when anime shows the backstory instead of just telling about it or summing it up briefly like many other shows do. It's just better this way, because you get a better insight in the character and a better feeling of progression. Not to mentioned that the character's arc feels rounded up better.

But anyway, no plot. Well, now we do know that it's about Koto finding the "city in the painting", which she did, so I have no idea where this is going... and plot is nowhere in sight right now. To me, it seems like she'll most likely rain havoc around until Shrine decides to do about it, or that's at least what the PV at the end told me. If anything, we'll get to see some other side characters I really enjoyed in the OVAs (especially that scientist purplehead), and would like to see here in more longer version. I hope they do much more with them this time. It would be kind of disappointing if they devote all their time to building world like the first 2 episodes did.

I'll have to give it to them; this was one of the sweetest daughter/father relationships I've seen in whole anime. Yeah, Usagi Drop is still on the throne, but this was very nice to see none the less. I'm still not sure of the deal between Priest (father) that started all this, and the Fox/Sensei (also father) who is present right now. They are the same person I'd say, but there's a catch in that. I mean, he is younger for some unknown reason... there obviously has to be something more to that.

Even though I'm complaining by the amount of worldbuilding, I still thinks it's quite good. Even the little things like Koto's rival who is a noble give a small detail to the world, and ask a new question. The operating system/government is basically explained at the end of this episode, but we still didn't get to see the details of it - maybe the hierarchy, government's branches which we saw in this episode, some departments maybe, and that funky science department. I'd prefer if they got to in along the way, instead of devoting a whole episode to it... but I'm not sure from these two.

Animation is as lovely as ever. It's funky, stylish, full of color and energy, and the design is not generic... it's everything I'd like to see. Animation alone is mesmerizing enough, and damn me for being entertained just by observing the display.

I could see myself skipping the OP because it really sounds like any other, but the ED was just my cup of tea. Good stuff.

Episode 3:

I see what they're doing here.

It's basically this; they take the first OVA as the background story, then added the second OVA's episodes and mixed them in to fill the gaps. This episode was 2nd or 3rd episode from the second OVA, added into the context with a lot more additional content. I actually do like it, because this episode did a great job with the side characters; they got a really good exposition and we got a really good insight in their character. I think this show will have a very good looking cast in overall.

We got to see the science department episode, which features my dear purplehead otaku who's one of the most entertaining characters, imho. I like the fact that they even explained why she's allowed to do as much damage as she's doing - because of the leaders motive to get out. As long as she's working on his goal, she can do whatever she wants to this imaginary world, which does makes sense, and makes this really entertaining to watch. More of her madness would be much appreciated, because this episode just flew by because of it. I didn't feel that grip in the first two episodes, but now it's here.

My fears came to life partially. They did devote a whole episode to explaining the science department, but we got a lot more from it so it never became a problem. After this episode, I know where this will go, and I already know the end because of the first OVA, which is kind of sad. I will probably enjoy it as much as I did before, and this time around it will probably end up way better. This, as a full series, is actually doing a lot more than OVAs. Some of the magic is gone, but there's a lot of stuff making up for it. I just hope it continues to do so.

This one was also beautifully animated. It's really doing its job to make this quite enjoyable experience.

I'm branding this with my underrated title. This show could use some attention.

Episode 10 [FINAL]

The show felt honest, it was very convenient in places but it just felt like it was written with love and not forced to appeal to a certain demographic. While it might not be mindblowing or as interesting as the initial OVA's made it out to be. It still deserves to be watched over many other anime simply because this anime was strangely enough seemingly filled with love.

3.75/5

Back