Kakumeiki Valvrave

Garyuu

[sadht="Kakumeiki Valvrave"]Valvrave the Liberator[/sadht][sadhl]kakumeiki-valvrave[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

I thought the first episode was pretty bad. This is Sunrise so no wonder it felt like they stole the first episode from Gundam Seed. I haven't seen many Gundam series, but most of them seem to start off the exact same way this show did.

Giant space colony gets attacked by mysterious enemy and a kid finds a mech.[/spoier]

The only interesting part was after the credits.

Re: Valvrave the Liberator

I haven't seen many Gundam series, but most of them seem to start off the exact same way this show did.

You're right, you haven't seen very many Gundams.

But seriously, you're correct that it is a very run-of-the-mill mecha beginning.

ep 1
i always wondered what the bright side to a loved one is, and this anime enlightened me, its friend requests
i found the first half worse than the second . the background animation and some scenes were done in a really lazy static fashion (the space cut throat scene for example) . It kinda went overboard with the classroom scene, where the Haruto and Shoko in the middle of the class and nobody registers anything but smile nicely and stare at the blackboard? Also felt scenes were cheese and predictable (unlikely pacifist hero gets traumatized and becomes Messiah figure) and when he got in the cockpit i kept jelling ''look at the damn screen already''
on the bright side the Mecha looks good and the battles as well.

Episode 1:

It's a bit stereotypical if you've seen a lot of mech, but I enjoyed it. Yeah, Code Geass, Guilty Crown, Gundam… I’ve seen it all here. Though, I still liked it for some reason. The animations were pretty to look at and the music was pleasant, the plot, on the other hand, moves in the same direction I’ve seen god knows how many time, but it’s still episode one, so I might even get surprised. For instance aftermath was very, very interesting. (and no, I was totally not screaming Geass)

I’m betting that harem girl 1. is not dead
, and from the ending I’m betting that harem girl 2. (that black haired girl that typed a lot) won’t be pleased with that. Also a stereotype? Yes, yes it is. I did like when he raged instead of crying, but that’s cliché as well.

I’ll risk it. I have some hopes for this, but I’m prepared for another Guilty Crown.

Suprisingly, this is looking better than I thought. While it runs along similar lines of some of it's predecessors in this genre, it's actually looking rather nice from the start, and giving hope for the next one to be even more interesting for anyone who's seen the end of the first episode, rather than that majestic prince crap which I've already given up on after episode one.

Episode 1:

It's a bit stereotypical if you've seen a lot of mech..

Cratch the ''lot''
I hardly have seen Mecha anime and still found it stereotypical. :smile:
( i.e. from all the gundam series I've only seen Gundam wing and small bits from others )

I wasn't thinking of picking this up but someone enticed me to check it out just to answer their question.
I'll keep watching this unless it gets too dumb/ generic.

Shame. I was thinking of checking this one out. But if it's not so good for people who've seen a lot of mecha (it's safe to say I've overdosed at this point) then I'll skip it. I'm starting to itch at episodes of Gargantia, to be honest, and that one is a lot more original than some others I've seen (thus far). Not in the mood for another Gundam rip-off.

Harakiri!! lololololol:frustrat:
This is a serious comedy anime.
I don't dislike this.

And the whole "let's give each other hickeys to swap bodies" thing is a little lame. I bet they overuse it as well.
Lame? Dude, this concept is amazing. Just think of all the possibilities and implication...
Gu-hehe. ~*Continues perverted laughter.

Episode 3:

same ol sunrise mecha crap... but it's not that bad. i would skip this one but my sister liked it, so i'm just helping her to get into mecha genre... and as it turnes out, this show is quite good intro for the newbies...

Checked this out while waiting for other series to update ...
ep1 was passable
Points for shock effect: the young invaders killing the administrators, the apparent death of Shoko (but since no body was shown, you know there are options open ...)
Fairly cliche for underpowered MC to become overpowered by finding the one ring ...oops, I meant to say an unattended mega-mech.
Kinda expected the MC to recover from the apparently fatal wounds from L-elf (why don't they remember to shoot for the head?)
OK, a bit heavy-handed and cliche, but not too bad.
but then ep2 fell off the cliff IMO due to poor plot choices and plot gaps:
Wait what, hero can switch bodies? will he be in blondie's body for the rest of the series? No, never mind, he's back. Wildly implausible, confusingly presented, and then they flush any dramatic potential down the toilet by undoing it.
Same with Shoko's re-appearance ... before we've even had a chance to miss her, or dwell on the hero's (mistaken) motivation, we see her crawling back. Waste of any potential. If they'd let it be unclear until at least ep5 once MC was getting good at the vengeance game, I could have forgiven the happy twist of fate. (Heavily bandaged girl in a coma could have been teased about ep3.)
OMG, they turn the reunion into comic misunderstanding - "your shirt is stupid?" From life and death to silly teen angst in 15 minutes. Waste.
Now for plot twists ...
Pretty lame that they left L-elf loosely secured... but then they apparently forgot about the fact that he's armed, threatening a hostage, and is able to at least temporarily incapacitate the MC (even if he would regenerate in a few minutes) ... and let MC scare the opposing mechs back to base anyway? Why on earth would L-elf not press his tactical advantage? Baffling and unexplained. And I suppose they meant to introduce at least a little bit of triangle with the hostage girl ("don't block my view" was slightly amusing, as was the understated girl-on-girl feel-copping in ep1), but completely forgot the follow up. They didn't even give her a chance to say "I admire you for taking on the invaders, and I want to be by your side."
So what I'm seeing is the kind of haphazard "all plotting is left up to the intern who dropped the storyboards on the way back to his cube" that spoiled Btooooooom! for me, but it's setting in even more quickly.
Oh well, if it goes this bad this fast at least I won't be tempted to watch any more ...

ugh... this is... so close to being watchable... and so far away.

this is like they thought gundam seed and code geass should have a baby..., and this is the result.

painful...

all the "edgy" they tried to insert to make it "tougher" then Gundam seed was a failure... and all the mysticism to make it like code geass is lame... worse I like the badguy better then any of the good guys... might be the VA... but then of course the badguy is a painful gary stu or something... so its pretty poor that he stands out as the most interesting character...

Then there was the aborted love triangle that they've hinted at... that we know won't go anywhere... of course the spare girl in the triangle is far more intriguing then the main girl (likely because she's said like 10 lines all show, they haven't developed her enough to ruin her like they've ruined all the other characters to this point)... ugh.

that said i'm enjoying this more then i enjoyed guilty crown at this point. So it's better then that trainwreck at least (even if its not as pretty).

4 eps in, probably will watch it a bit more. but i've sorta given up on it...

Last edited:

... I feel kind of tempted to watch this thing just to join the ongoing ERU ERUFU madness. It just looks hilarious!

My thoughts exactly! Just saw that linked on gg's website, and laughed my head off. On my third rewatch of this video. Eruerueruferueeslfjs;ljf;sdjf;f;ldsaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

The voice actors must have been like 'Fuck this, I give up on pronouncing this shit.'

... fourth rewatch. Still laughing.

ep5 -

man... i am left with the impression i just watched one of the "decompression from the drama, and hilarity with questionable sexual overtones ensues" episodes of code geass. However, there was no hilarity. only a growing dislike for the MC (he was already boarderline) a deepening loathing for Shoko (she went full retard this ep) and a general apathy for the plot (plot? what plot?)

almost made it to the dropped list... not quite there... but it's closing in fast.

Episode 5
And I lost all hope for this series...
Children thinking they could run a nation on their own is laughable...
A stuck up bitch thinks being independent was a mistake even though SHE got the people to go along with this plan from previous episode is a fucking hypocrite.
Stupid girl who thought she has the same powers as MC is just dumb but the slap to the suck up bitch was well deserved.
And to sing Jingle Bells to calm everyone down and to end the episode singing along with the reveal of more devil mechs which will lead to the irritating secondary getting to pilot them... :flip:
How did this get a second season, already?

Episode 5
And I lost all hope for this series...
How did this get a second season, already?

It's mecha. While it's plot is rather questionable it still follows a strange path for mecha series which sets it apart in terms of storytelling instead of being '' a gundam ripoff'' and while there are many many cringe worthy moments littered throughout the current five episodes it still retains at least some qualitative plot devices to lean on.

Also, if you haven't noticed the series has a huge female cast with luxurious bosoms and the token Loli actually groped a bosom, can you still be surprised? :drink:
The fact that the student council vice president is noted as being ''huge breasted'' despite the female teacher having a bosom with about twice as much volume makes it even more apparent. This show was made for mecha lovers and doused with a good amount of fan-service sauce.

That said, I didn't hate this latest episode despite how ''lame'' it was. It helped construct and explain the situation they are in despite of the god damn awful characterization moments littered throughout.

and yes, Shoko singing jinglebells was annoying as all #$%^ to the point that I skipped past it in the first phrase. In fact this episode basically ruined her character for me, I'll go root for the unlucky girl if this kind of characterization keeps being tagged onto Shoko.

I think the ''unlucky rival in love'' biting the rich oujo sama was supposed to be funny, but it wasn't at all funny... it was mostly just... stupid. Still she's more likeable than ''sure to win love interest'' shoko has been since her current status...

The protagonist was completely pointless this episode and the few scenes he was in made him more annoying... we get your current situation sucks, but please don't remind us twice an episode... that's overkill. We have a memory.

The secondary love interest kissing the male lead in the end was predictable as can be. Though considering the main girl and the lead aren't dating she isn't technically wrong in doing so... but for some reason I think the anime is trying to paint this as something very bad that she's doing...

Last edited:
Back