Legend of the Galactic Heroes

I will say though that for the 4th opening the vocalist does seem to struggle a little with her English pronunciation.

Agreed. That is by far the weakest of the openings, and admittedly they're a little same-y aside for that decidedly off-kilter op.

P.S. Is it just me or is the Empire the more exciting half of the story? I always felt elated when I 1st watched the series when it would be an Empire episode and a bit downcast when it switched to the FPA.

I've certainly read opinions that feel the same way... but I don't. I genuinely thoroughly enjoyed both threads of the story.

Heck I've even heard people say they just watched the Empire episodes, which seems to require quite a bit of research beforehand as to which-is-which and may make the Alliance scenes in battle episodes sort of confusing or something? I don't know maybe they'd read the novels and/or the manga adaption beforehand.

ahh - any chance of you watching the first few episodes just so we can get it up in the database?
There's ten episodes out so yes, and sure.

I think the reason for that feeling though is that both are basically in the same situation but Yang is always restraining himself while Reinhard doesn't.
Which is what I like about Yang, obviously, and more to the point watching the Free Planets Alliance collapse on itself was pretty compelling stuff.

What's your favourite ending though if season 3 opening is your favourite?

Much like the openings they're a little same-y (except for season three's, which though I liked I preferred the style used in the other three).

Generally I was less keen on the endings than openings though I liked them too. That said, put a gun to my head and I guess I'd say season one.

Episode 27:

Man that new opening is horrendous. But the story continues at its very decent pace. Also
why does that Empire Admiral guy continue to wear his Empire uniform when he's turned coat?

Haha! I just got my own pun. Nice.

Episode 27
Merkatz still considers himself loyal to the Emperor; just not the Lohengramm administration.

Episode 27
Merkatz still considers himself loyal to the Emperor; just not the Lohengramm administration.

Is it just me who thinks that's retarded?
You call yourself loyal to the Emperor, but then because you don't like his subordinates, you turn coat and fight for the enemy who's intention (as far as you're aware) is to destroy the empire. Not to mention that he was fine with fighting on the side of the nobles in a civil war that would tear the empire asunder, but he's against the one guy who plans to make the empire great. Now, I get that you might not like Reinhard, but if you are loyal to the Emperor, then you are loyal to whomever furthers his rule. I just don't like turncoats. Especially ones who then profess to subscribe to some kind of higher ideal.

Episode 28:

My new favourites: Mittermeyer and Reuental. But when will Oberstein die? Because I hate him. So. Much.

Is it just me who thinks that's retarded?
You call yourself loyal to the Emperor, but then because you don't like his subordinates, you turn coat and fight for the enemy who's intention (as far as you're aware) is to destroy the empire.

Eh, fair enough.

Plenty of people historically have rationalised they're not against the King, they're against his ministers - and when the Emperor is a child and the minister is seen as a de facto usurper of his authority they may have a point.

So I guess I'm saying is if Merkatz is stupid it's a stupidity well evidenced by history.

Episode 28:

My new favourites: Mittermeyer and Reuental. But when will Oberstein die? Because I hate him. So. Much.

I love all three. Oberstein may just be my favourite magnificent bastard in all of anime.

Episode 29:

I like where this show is going.
My interest was piqued by that Phezzan ruler's idea of making a military dictatorship go against a monarchy. That's fantastic! I hope that's how it turns out. Although I doubt it since there's no way Yang would ever take on the sin of doing that to a nation.

I'm also starting to like Yang generally. Before I was kinda indifferent to him bcause I was far more in love with the Kircheis-Reinhard duo (with Kircheis being very much the reason for it). Now Yang shines a bit more.

Lastly, I'm pleased with Whatsername woman who helps Reinhard out with all the latest nobility stuff. She seems very capable - hopefully her role will become more central. But Oberstein's still alive, I see...

Episode 30:

Heinrich Kunmel looks bloody creepy... @_@

But I'm so pleased to see more of Hildegard. ^_^ I love following any and all conversations she has with Reinhard. They've become my new favourite pairing - not in any romantic sense. Just that when they're together on screen, the conversation feels really interesting.

Honestly, the most shocking thing sbouat LOTGH is that there are so many characters and I remember them all for some reason or other! :o

Episode 31:

You know the greatest shame about this show? That Yang is surrounded by a bunch of idiots. His mind, his understanding, his personality is so amazing. The debates are classic ones (nation vs individual), and yet portrayed so naturally through conversation, through everyday events like 'court-martials' and so forth... I'm so impressed. But damn it's frustrating to watch Yang trying to lead a military ultimately under the command of vote-seeking, uneducated imbeciles.

Reminds me too much of real life.

EDIT: It was funny though when
He said 'I will quit

Episode 32:

DAMN!
I knew Yang wouldn't get to resign. I felt so gutted for him. And honestly, it'd be amaaaaaaaaaaazing if Yang took power. I would love to see that day! I'm an ardent proponent of benevolent dictatorships!

Episode 33:

Wow, Yang Wenli is so wise. I'm only now seeing it. I like him!

Last edited:
Ugh, I so want to watch this, and I keep seeming to stall watching it because of the length, even though I've seen plenty of long series'. Think I'm gonna watch the first episode and post my thoughts in 30 minutes :D

Watch the first 27 episodes and see waht you think. It runs in seasons, you see. Judging by what you've liked in the past, I think you should find this enjoyable. I'm not sure whetehr you'll fall in love with it though or anything.

As for me, I absolutely adore it so far. It doesn't feel like it's 110 episodes long at all.

Watch the first 27 episodes and see waht you think. It runs in seasons, you see.

Precisely. There's four seasons in total and I recommend you watch them in installments; while they build on each other they're fairly self-contained. I actually watched the whole thing in one go; for such a stately series it's surprisingly addictive IMHO.

And if you enjoyed this series even half as much as I did you'll love it to death. That is how much I love this series.

Many have noted that the first two episodes aren't the best opening (I'm fine with them personally but I understand their point), if not impressed with those two stick around as it gets pretty great pretty fast.

I enjoyed the first episode, I have a feeling that I'm going to struggle with remembering characters, but Reinhard was cool and I already hate the commanders of that free planets alliance fleet. (Also Yang was pretty chill)

I'm usually put off by older art styles, I find the hand drawn cell animation a bit difficult to look at normally, but I didn't mind this.

Liked the first episode, I think I'm going to give at least the first season a shot.

I enjoyed the first episode, I have a feeling that I'm going to struggle with remembering characters, but Reinhard was cool and I already hate the commanders of that free planets alliance fleet. (Also Yang was pretty chill

Hahaha! That's what I thought. The brilliance of this show is that almost everyone becomes memorable (even if their names aren't necessarily so). But that's cool, they always show the names on screen anyway.

Honestly, if you enjoyed the first two eps (I thought they were mediocre), then there's no way you'll stick to a schedule of 4-5 eps a week. You'll be marathoning the entire thing. Lol. I'm looking forward to discussions with you. Welcome! :drink:

Episode 3

Well at first I was expecting to like the Free Planets Alliance more, thinking it'd be more well, free. I find I'm liking it less and less though. I mean Yang's awesome, but the people in charge seem to be imbeciles.

Episode 3

Well at first I was expecting to like the Free Planets Alliance more, thinking it'd be more well, free. I find I'm liking it less and less though. I mean Yang's awesome, but the people in charge seem to be imbeciles.

Oh man, honestly, the Alliance is ridiculous. Only a couple of posts ago I was saying the exact same thing. They're imbeciles. The Empire is cool, but... an empire. Lol. Which is hilarious, because it makes you think that just being an empire is not necessarily an evil thing.

Which Yang actually acknowledges at some point. And I like that about him. He's such a reasonable thinker. I wish I were married to him. :D

Back