Gintama

I love to see how much you're enjoying it, Geko. :laugh:

It was ep 34 the one where they chatted online? That had me rolling veeeeeeery hard.

Yeah 34 was the samurai internet cafe that was hilarious as well! ANd the end of 35 with the Shinsengumi chief's daughter was hilarious as well :laugh:

Geko is going to suffer a heart attack. I mean, he's loving it this much, yet he's not even come to the part of the show where I'd say it really starts getting funny.
Once he gets past the Benizakura Arc, I suspect he is going to end up suffering from fractured ribs!
:laugh:

Guess I need to get one of those life-alert necklaces, if it gets any funnier I'm going to have to stop drinking while I'm watching this or I'll need a new keyboard after every episode....

sorry to bust in here but, I have been away from anime for probably 10 years and this was the first thing I came across in my return that I wanted to see. The movies anyway.

Could I just watch the 2 movies and then maybe think about seeing the show if I like it, just wondering if it would make sense to only see the movies with no other information about the universe?

It's not a good idea to watch the movies without seeing the series first. You'll be able to follow the plots, but a huge chunk of the humor will be lost both from references to things in the series and not knowing the characters. I think it'd still be possible to enjoy the movies without watching the show, but your experience will be so much better if you're familiar with the characters before watching them.

It's not a good idea to watch the movies without seeing the series first. You'll be able to follow the plots, but a huge chunk of the humor will be lost both from references to things in the series and not knowing the characters. I think it'd still be possible to enjoy the movies without watching the show, but your experience will be so much better if you're familiar with the characters before watching them.

alright, I see your point. its just a lot of episodes :P
but if I loose out from the story and have no idea what is going on I guess watching the series first is the best idea.
thanks

Yoshiwara Arc (140)
Fucking A. I don't think I've ever been hyped about a Gintama arc since, ever.
I was already hyped when I knew this was the arc that introduced Tsukuyo. Thank-you CR for the mail about the Tsukuyo figure. :love:
But damn,
I didn't expect this to also introduce Kagura's brother.

I also loved the kunai scene. I may have broken a rib or so.
Its interesting how this scene and the toilet scene have introduced 2 of my most favorite characters. Tsukuyo and Kyuubei. Coincidence? :love:

The Yoshiwara arc is pretty amazing. Tsukuyo is a great character, and one of my three favorite characters in the show, the other two being Gintoki and Hasegawa.

Glad to see you're enjoying the anime Damias, and hope you continue to. Shouldn't be a problem though. Gintama IS Gintama after all.

Episode 7
It was kind of hilarious how they kept making analogies about dating and teens and adolescence and stuff!

Just watched episodes 86 and 87. I've been watching Gintama for over a month now and like almost everyone else, I've liked it a lot. But why did I come here just now? Because I discovered just how strong this show is emotionally. Among all the humour and action, this show has a habit of giving you some not so happy dramatic episodes. And each and every one of these are excellent.
However
The story of Okita's sister Mitsuba hit me the hardest. The way they gave Toshiro and Sogo's comedic fights such a meaningful context was magnificent to say the least. Mitsuba's death hit me like a truck and sent my heart into Isekai like nothing else. You'd expect such a happy and fun show to not have sad endings. And Gintama did itself a favour by not giving us what we would've liked.

These two episodes alone have made me love this anime even more than I already did.

I'm a dumbass for not watching this anime sooner. I got really lazy bc it has a lot of episodes already and boi- do i regret not watching this sooner. I'm at episode 162 and I love every episode and arc.

This is now my favourite anime of all time.

AuG9.gif

This show taught me most of my worst habits, definitely one of my favorite shows, 5 stars, and don't let the number of episodes discourage you, you will definitely regret it later bro

Okay, I'm very late to this, but I just started it. At the time being, I'm on episode 4. Tbh, I do enjoy it but, I'm not really clicking with it. I really want to give it a chance so ill continue watching and report back. :hamster:

Just dropped Gintama after episode 52.
It's not bad, not by a long shot. But i need to face reality that episodic and comedy are not my biggest likings. And both combined in a show is not for me. Sadge.

Thinking about watching Gintama? Here are some heads ups (Gintama is my favorite anime, so I'm sorry if it's a little bias):
1. Skip the first and second episodes if you haven't read the manga. They are fillers and are celebratory episodes for manga readers. Go back later and watch them if you like.
2. The anime is basically episodic with comedy. There are some serious episodes/arcs, but that won't happen later down the line. If you want something serious from the get-go, Gintama isn't right for you.
3. I mentioned before that Gintama is a comedy. So, it might not be bingeable during the comedic parts. After a long day, sit down and watch an episode to get some laughs.
4. They have a lot of references to pop culture, anime, songs, people, TV, movies, you name it. I don't recommend Gintama being your first anime because of all the references. Although, most episodes will have subtitles explaining the jokes and references when they pop up.
5. The first 50 episodes or so might seem slow, but they are introducing you to the cast, and you probably shouldn't skip them.
6. If you don't feel like Gintama is mixing with you, drop it or come back later.
7. Enjoy this journey!

Back