flaze

Strike Witches Movie

28 OCT
2012

The movie trailer had me totally convinced that the main setting was Romagna. Then I watched the movie. It's not. lol

From the perspective of a Strike Witches fan, this movie was great. It introduced land Neuroi, normal troops fighting Neuroi, introduced other witches, and did other things to expand the Strike Witches universe for people who don't have access to the semi-canon doujinshi, LN's, and manga. It had the usual amount of panty-shots. The beginning starts off with a couple of nicel animated fights and it was nice to see the 501st again. Also, I don't think I've ever liked Perrine in season 1 or 2 as much as I did in the movie. In S1 she was a b****, in S2 she was still kind of cold but better, and now she is quite likeable. I'm sure her fans would completely disagree with me but that is my opinion. The one thing that really, and I mean REALLY, disappointed me was the ending animation. It was more like a slide show of random backdrops than an animation.

From an objective perspective, some fight scenes looked a little too easily won. Certain scenes seemed like excuses just to give characters other than Yoshika screen time. There is one portion that is definitely a plot device (I am referring to what Sakamoto has in her possession during a battle). The ending was a little abrupt. Most strike witches fans, however, will overlook these problems (as I did), just as how K-On fans did for the K-On movie or the Haruhi fans did for the Haruhi movie. (btw I didn't like the K-On movie that much even though I am a fan of the series) And if you're not a strike witches fan, why watch this, much less read this review in the first place?

The only exception to my statement would be that Yoshika haters may not like this movie because she gets about 75% of the screen time. I will never understand why some people hate her so much.

So anyway, to everyone who reads this, my overall score is biased because I'm a huge fan of the show.

BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL YEAR: The very end of the movie said TO BE CONTINUED!!! :D I literally jumped for joy when I saw that.

One note to fanfic writers: It is absolutely necessary that you watch this movie if you want to write a fanfic according to the canon universe. There was one detail that has resulted in many fanfics becoming non-canon.

Other Anime Reviews by flaze

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun user review by flaze

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

K-On! Movie user review by flaze

K-On! Movie

Sword Art Online user review by flaze

Sword Art Online

overall score: 3.5/10

• Story N/A
  • Animation N/A
  • Sound N/A
  • Characters N/A

comments

flaze avatar flaze
Nov 24, 2012

lol I agree that there was significantly less service but I'm watch it more for the plot so I didn't mind. I can understand the disappointment though. Regarding the LN's I can understand Japanese.

LoliTsundere avatar LoliTsundere
Nov 18, 2012

I enjoyed the movie but rated a bit lower because there wasn't enough service. Really!, service-wise this was a let down. Are the LN geting translated or do you speak japanese? I would be interested in reading some.