Now this anime, that I watched recently, has been under a lot of controversy due to some people believing that it supports child pornography or whatnot. Today, I am going to give my opinion on the anime Kodomo no Jikan which translates out as "A Child's Time."
- Now, the synopsis of the anime is this. A twenty-three-year-old graduate student named Aoki gets a job as a teacher in an elementary class. He works in the third grade class, Class 3-1. It is there, that he meets a nine-year-old girl named Rin Kokonone, and she develops a crush on him. She then calls herself his girlfriend, and often tries to have sex, or show off herself, to the teacher. Of course, Aoki doesn't try to take advantage of this, because he might lose his job. However, he does offer to protect her. Now, I gave the plot a 6 out of 10, mostly because the idea of a little girl trying to advance herself on a teacher is creepy in my opinion. However, it also shows how often a child's mind works, and how they handle their emotions. However, the overall plot of the story is creepy, so 6/10.
- Now for the animation. The animation, in my opinion, is standard. While it is nice to watch, it's not really something that eye catching, or dazzling. 8/10.
- The sound. To be honest, I really enjoyed the music for the show. What I often look for in an anime is a good opening theme. And by golly, the opening theme is addictive. It's one of those themes which get stuck in your head and reels you in to watch more of the show. It's that kind of theme that you try so hard to not think about, but you eventually do (often against your will). For sound I give it an 8/10.
- Now it is time for the important part of the show in my opinion: the characters. As I have already mentioned before, Aoki and Rin are decent characters. Aoki is that kind of butt monkey that you genuinely feel sorry for. You know what he's going through, and that he hardly gets his way. He someone that even Charlie Brown would call a loser. And then there's Rin. Even though she is perverted at some points, she is actually rather tragic. Her mother died of lung cancer and her guardian Rejiki takes care of her. He doesn't really treat her exactly right. He even threatened to beat up Aoki when he and Rin were locked in a closet (it's a long story). And I also forgot to mention that Rin's mother was his cousin, and that he married her. And it is implied that he was trying to do the same thing to Rin. Overall, Rin is adorable, and is also rather the woobie. As I probably already mentioned, Rejiki was an interesting character in his own right. He was abused by his father, and his mother simply did not care. He despised them so much, that he didn't even shed a tear when they died in a car accident. However, he is a teensy bit of a douche when he took Rin out of school, and punched Aoki. But he is a very complex character throughout. There's also Mimi, a girl with glasses that was previously hinted to have been assaulted by another teacher before Aoki came in. She also has a crush on Rejiki. Then there's Kuro, who I swear to God is my least favorite character in this show. She had a crush on Rin, and would get jealous of Aoki, to the point where she would abuse him, or kick him in the groin. And she often gets away with it too. Her only redeeming quality is that she's funny. Then there's Houin, who has a crush on Aoki and often tries to tell him how she feels, and at one point in the manga did finally tell him. Unfortunately for her, he thought she was drunk. And there's the other female teacher that eventually went through some character development, and (spoiler) is now the center of affection from Kagami. For the characters, I give them 8/10.
- Kodomo no Jikan, while yes, Rin liking Aoki can be creepy, it actually turned out to be a well-written and nice anime. Though I do understand, that it's the different morals of the show that clashes with peoples' opinions, in my honest opinion, I thought it was alright. There was a manga version of the anime that was going to be distributed by the Los-Angeles Seven Seas Entertainment company, however, it was renamed "Nymphet." However, due to the nature of the "questionable moments" of the anime, it was overall dropped. There are also OVAs on the anime that I recommend that you'll enjoy, if you're into this show. So overall, enjoy!