Mind Game

H

hurlesk

[sadht]Mind Game[/sadht][sadhl=1205]mind-game[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

So I just finished watching this movie called for the first time, and I’m curious how many out there have seen it, and what they think. Still trying to decide myself what my thoughts on it are, haha, it’s a might surreal at times. Definitely not a traditional anime in any sense, it was one of the first I’ve seen in a while that is really pushing the boundaries of the medium in both story and art. Been a long time since I sat and stared at a screen in awe for two hours, it was quite a treat.

Anway, thoughts anyone?

hurlesk

Edit: fixed link /kazeumi

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: MindGame

Uaah...not a single comment on Mind Game? This cannot be!

I suppose I'll share a couple of personal thoughts. Mind Game has several extremely long scenes that are like surreal music videos. I have to say, somehow, they fit well. I really did not like the multitude of dialogs on how one should live their life though, nor did I find any of the characters particularly magnetic.

Major Spoiler:
Oh but how I loved the sex scene! I love how emotions and desires are expressed through animation in the trippy scenes. There was one part where Nishi (or maybe it was the girl) grew an additional 3 or 4 pairs of hands just so he could touch the girl more.

Re: MindGame

It's been like a year since I saw Mind Game but I didn't really like it. I'm a fan of trippy things, but I'm also a fan of things that are good. I liked the strangeness that persisted through Mind Game but I didn't like the presentation of it. I think there was a very 'we can do whatever we want' mentality involved, which I respect, and doubt the creator really care what anyone thinks. I'll say that the scene leaving the whale was incredible though.

Wow. Know how you see the amazing animation in some short films and think that'd never work full length? And no one would finance it? Wrong!

And the lines were just as cool.

But I'm sure I've seen a story like this before... Maybe some live action movie?

the part where one of the girls was doing a weird dance with paint and water balloons was my favourite.

Wow. Know how you see the amazing animation in some short films and think that'd never work full length? And no one would finance it? Wrong!

In a succinct nutshell that is exactly what I love about Mind Game.

My favourite moment in the movie is when we see one of the yakuza see a little bird on his finger and we flashback to his life as a child when the bird died - and then he sees the halo on it. SMASH! God that is razor-sharp black humour. I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed at that joke for a more sustained length of time I think than any other anime title.

As a whole I found Mind Game anarchically uneven; throwing just about everything at you from the fever dream genius of Masaaki Yuasa's mind; a mixture of things great and not-so-great in equal measure. It's an indulgent thing, the work of a master animator relishing the joy of animating and inventing frequently at the expense of all else, trying this thing (wow) then that (eh), but not slowing down his creative imagination for the fraction of an instant. As uneven as it is it makes a lasting impression quite like no other; as Yuasa's work always does.

This is just a film I have far more admiration and respect for (quite a bit to be sure) than I actually like it, though make no mistake I do still like it quite a bit.

Last edited:
just saw this for the first time due to vivis's rec, and i gotta say, she was right this is such a great movie. it did feel really long, but it was soo good. the humor was spot on, the art was nice. and even tho it was way way out there, it maniged to not be redicules.
fav part:
valondar's sceen tied with when the yacuza tryd to run 120 along side of the car, and to everyonse amazment as well as his own he was succeding, untill the wall impeaded his progress.
had to take a pause break for both to collect myself.

thx vivis :)

Back