Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou

You know what puts me off this series is the MC's red nose. I really hate characters who have red noses, it just puts me off them so much.

I know it's irrational, but i'll push on through!
I know, he looks like a drunk.

Nose designs was one of the reasons I did not like One Piece or Akagi. I have come to love Akagi, and I have more respect for One Piece, although I doubt I will keep up with that past the 50+ eps I have now seen of it.

Episode 1:
This main character... is a real piece of work. Cheating on tests in middle school (when he's an adult...?), kicking dirt at a dog, throwing water at middle-aged women, taking candy from a baby (who is his sibling), eating someone else's food, high jacking a truck, almost running the baby over with said truck, kidnapping, attempted molestation of an unconscious woman, destroying a bath house... plus his mother does all the work and he basically leaves his siblings alone to starve. If they're going to attempt to make this guy likable at some point, I'd love to know how it's going to happen because I'm really not seeing it as a possibility.

However, I do enjoy the art style of the show. The OP was rather delightful too. Very classy. I really want to get to the sumo part of the series, but it seems like we're going at a slow pace here. Makes me wonder how long of a show this is going to turn out to be...

I have very conflicted feelings about this first episode.... there was absolutely no sumo..... I came here for sumo!! They should have ended the episode with a teaser about sumo at the very least...

The way the main character was introduced really reminded me of all the SUPER, and i mean all those REALLY SUPER silly parts of Ippo. So if the sport stuff is gonna attempt to be as good as that (I freaking hope so) I can forgive this pretty meh first ep.
I really hope the main character is going to be someone we grow to love as he grows... because... there isn't much to love about him right now... :\

OP was AMAZING thou!!

Chii, I am going to have to agree about the giant fucking asshole.

I will say, it is refreshing that the main lead is not just an amazing goodie-goodie, or an unbelievable person who has the morals of a Buddha. Normally Most shonen style males are way to amazing of being an al-together-great guy.
But you can make a delinquent that has elements of good. I was hoping for a glimmer of a great man, but he is just a abusive, thieving, cheating, drunkard, rapist at this moment.

Like you said if this is just the start of a long process by which this brute is made into a respectable person, maybe all will be forgiven.

CommanderKarasu, I enjoy the OP and animation as well. The OP goes well with the Showa period that this is set. (70's or 80's I am imagining) the song was a traditional sounding 70's crooning pop song.

Episode 2.
That giant Orang-Tan finally got his big mouth shut, courtesy of a Sumo. Can't say he wasn't long overdue for a decent thrashing.

Episode 3.
Millions of Yen? No thanks.
The street address of a chick he's got a crush on? Sign him up.

This dude is such a raving asshat that I can't help but like him.

I see what they're doing here. I have watched first 3 eps and can't really decide whether I love or hate this show yet, though it is one of those that tends to go one way or the other. There are no lukewarm feelings anywhere to be found. Just not sure which side of the fence I'm on yet.

I do love old-school style animation and it has that going for it.

Episode 4.
My God, I think he just experienced character development. Granted it's cause Teach is a Sumo Otaku, but it's a start. Maybe he'll stop being such a douchebag now.

It's absolutely one of the stranger shows I've watched. I keep hoping (like his teacher does) that the main character gets a much deserved ass whopping to knock some common sense into him, but the amount of fucks this guy gives are hilarious.

I agree on the opening being awesome, and now I'm mostly tuning in to see how the rest of this show shakes out. I keep wondering if the romance between him and the teacher will ever really be a thing and how strange it'll be if it happens.

Episode 5.
He's thinking now. That's a plus...granted it's cause Ino-Zeki kicked his ass and he just wants to beat him, but any step forward for him is a good thing.

Episode 15.
...Wow. I didn't expect genuine emotion out of this show. Matsutarou was actually a decent human being for a change.

Finally finished this "masterpiece" It actually had an odd ending that I liked.
I am not sure it redeemed the animation done by students with crippled fingers, or the fact the main protagonist is just a giant bastard, but it did not do what most shonen do
It ended with a shift in the way that Matsutarou thinks. Instead of a tidy 180 in how he grew as a character, he instead forges a new direction after a loss with his pal Tanaka in tow.

There was n perfect wrap up and the main lead did not necessarily "learn" anything The final fight reminded me a lot of the first Rocky, where his relationship meant more to him than anything, and that he Looses the fight in the end.
The show is still a giant waste of time, but it has just enough in that ending that made it worth polishing it off.

Back