Feature Idea for front page: Underrated Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynastyStar

I was thinking, what if anime-planet made a section on the front page(simular to "Popular anime this week") that gave some recommendations on underrated anime for that week? The basic idea of this is that it would recommend animes that are not watched as often as other anime that are rated as high. Looking at the top anime on anime-planet here: https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/top-anime
There are some shows that are extremely high up there, but barely get watched at all. Why they're underrated could vary from anime to anime, but I think it would be a good way to help people find good anime that nobody ever knows about. I haven't watched it yet(I'll get to it), but the original Mushishi is only almost at 2500 people who have watched it on anime-planet even though its rated #11 on anime-planet and season 2 is #5 on anime-planet(which even less has seen season 2 naturally) yet some animes on anime-planet around the same rating have about like 20,000 people who have seen them, or in the extremely popular anime's cases(like Code Geass) about 60,000. This may make some anime constantly pop up in the section, but I think it would be fine if there was a cooldown time set on the section to prevent the anime from being in the underrated anime every week.

Thoughts on the idea?

I haven't watched it yet(I'll get to it), but the original Mushishi is only almost at 2500 people who have watched it on anime-planet even though its rated #11 on anime-planet and season 2 is #5 on anime-planet(which even less has seen season 2 naturally)

The original Mushishi is #63 and 14,224 people have watched it. #11 and #5 are the two parts of season 2.

I think the majority of underrated anime (by your definition) would be sequels. Sequels are usually rated higher than they deserve relative to the first season, because people who like season 1 are more likely to watch season 2. Personally I don't think the Mushishi sequel is better than the original, and I think most people who have seen both would probably rate them about the same. Not counting sequels, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best example I can find (#52 and only 1,753 watches). If it was possible to filter or sort by number of watches, it would be easier to find more examples.

I think its kinda hard and not really nessecary.
You can see good top rated anime in the top anime list.And hard because when exactly is a show underrated? Shows above score x and below x views?
You cant have lousy shows pop up in that show either (cough Shitcom cough), those are rated low because of a reason.

I think its kinda hard and not really nessecary.
You can see good top rated anime in the top anime list.And hard because when exactly is a show underrated? Shows above score x and below x views?
You cant have lousy shows pop up in that show either (cough Shitcom cough), those are rated low because of a reason.

If I made such a list, my definition would be something along the lines of "highest rated non-sequels with <10,000 (watched + watching)". I did something similar to that on another website (not an anime site but a movie site), and it produced an interesting list (but it's not really important enough to put it on the front page, imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back