The Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

Waka

So yeah, I made a thread for hip-hop. I honestly don't know how popular it is among anime fans since the two don't exactly go together. So feel free to discuss your favorite artists, albums, songs, and whatever else I forgot to list. Don't like hip-hop? It's okay, not everyone like the same thing! Still discuss it anyway, just don't be a total jerkface about, mmkay?

These are some of my favorite songs.

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. 1
Odd Future - Rella
Dr. Dre - Keep Their Heads Ringing
Lupe Fiasco - SLR 2
The Game - Dreams
A$AP Ferg - Work Remix
Nas - Affirmative Action

I love Jay-Z and some of Kanye's works (primarily his work on Watch the Throne and his new album Yeezus)

Saul Williams early work is awesome. Also, J. Cole. And, Rittz.

I absolutely hate the genre nowadays. It was alright back in the 90s but now all of the newer shit for years now has just grated on my ears. I refuse to get in any car that's playing it, it just bothers me that much.

I agree with Pidj, I can't really stand the genre these days. It definitely hit its high point in the late 80s-90s and has been on a pretty steady decline in creativity and quality since the 2000s started or at least that's what I think about it.

But as for stuff I like:

I did enjoy the Samurai Champloo soundtrack. It's got a very hip hop feel to all the tracks and it makes an interesting juxtaposition with the setting which really fits with the themes of the series.

To a less extent the same is true for the Afro Samurai sound track and felt it suited the anachronistic setting. It's not something I'd listen to outside of the show, but I felt it worked with the anime.

And then it's not anime, but I did like the sound track for Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai. The sound track was done by RZA, the same guy that did the Afro Samurai soundtrack. Ghost Dog is a pretty cool genre mash up and a pretty fun movie all the way around.

I absolutely hate the genre nowadays. It was alright back in the 90s but now all of the newer shit for years now has just grated on my ears. I refuse to get in any car that's playing it, it just bothers me that much.

:drinking:

I'm with you, man.

That sit nowadays is all about weed, money, coke, bitchez, pussy or just them jerking off to their egos. I don't listed to it at all anymore so I have no idea if there are artists who don't follow the trend, so please don't take offense because that's all I ever heard from top charts.

Loved me 90's rap. And don't tell anyone, but I even liked Kid'n Play. :pokerface:

That sit nowadays is all about weed, money, coke, bitchez, pussy or just them jerking off to their egos.

The same can be said for any genre (outside of maybe country) if we're going to just generalize the mainstream as the whole.

Oh boy, discussion! Well, I can't say I surprised most people don't like stuff nowadays, as that is what I excepted. I guess I'm one of the few people here that actually enjoys modern and some older stuff.

That sit nowadays is all about weed, money, coke, bitchez, pussy or just them jerking off to their egos. I don't listed to it at all anymore so I have no idea if there are artists who don't follow the trend, so please don't take offense because that's all I ever heard from top charts.

Loved me 90's rap. And don't tell anyone, but I even liked Kid'n Play. :pokerface:

Ah, a common stereotype about rap. Not all rap is about that stuff, kinda like how not all metal is about killing shit and worshiping the devil, or how not all anime is about under-aged school girls and monsters. Much like any other genre, there are a wide arrange of topics discussed. And there are modern artists that don't necessarily talk about those things and are mainstream. For example, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, and Lupe Fiasco. Even though these are just a couple of rappers, to say all modern hip-hop is about money, drugs, and big booty hoes is ridiculous. It's also not like stuff in the 90's was all totally conscious social rap.

Mmkay, pretty much the only 90's rappers I listen to are Mobb Deep, Nas, and as of lately, Method Man and Redman. So who do you like?

Also... you are joking about not getting into a car playing rap right? Because honestly, that seems kinda petty...

I like Kanye. Not neccisarily one of my favorite rappers, but he's pretty good. I wasn't a big fan of Yeezus though, the beats were too weird for me, but I did like Black Skinhead.

That other guy though, I've never heard of him. I listened to a few of his songs, but I just don't really like the way it sounds personally.

I agree with Pidj, I can't really stand the genre these days. It definitely hit its high point in the late 80s-90s and has been on a pretty steady decline in creativity and quality since the 2000s started or at least that's what I think about it.

But as for stuff I like:

I did enjoy the Samurai Champloo soundtrack. It's got a very hip hop feel to all the tracks and it makes an interesting juxtaposition with the setting which really fits with the themes of the series.

To a less extent the same is true for the Afro Samurai sound track and felt it suited the anachronistic setting. It's not something I'd listen to outside of the show, but I felt it worked with the anime.

And then it's not anime, but I did like the sound track for Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai. The sound track was done by RZA, the same guy that did the Afro Samurai soundtrack. Ghost Dog is a pretty cool genre mash up and a pretty fun movie all the way around.

Oh, I guess there is some hip-hop in anime. :laugh:
Wait a minute, RZA did some stuff with anime? I should go check that out.

Last edited:
Mmkay, pretty much the only 90's rappers I listen to are Mobb Deep, Nas, and as of lately, Method Man and Redman. So who do you like?

Also... you are joking about not getting into a car playing rap right? Because honestly, that seems kinda petty...

I'm not joking at all, the music is just so bad to me that it's seriously torture. I cringe when I walk by bars and clubs playing it. I leave bars the moment someone knocks a jukebox into it, it literally grates on my ears like someone scratching a chalkboard. I really really really dislike the genre nowadays.

The only problem with your question of what did I like is that I've never really been one to care who did a song, the only thing I typically know is I just liked a song. I never go out of my way to find out the artist or the name of the song, I'm just weird like that. With that being said I really can't name too many artists and I can never name any songs. This is even true today. I find myself listening to a lot more rock than anything as the lyrics just feel way more thought out and typically have much better messages than the majority of the current HipHop and rap genres. Do note I'm not comparing ENTIRE genres here, just majorities.

Now that that's out of the way I recently came across Eminem again and I feel like he's kind of an exception to my rule. He still raps like he used to and hasn't changed with the genre. It's kinda refreshing. Snoop dog has changed, his music sucks now. Black Eyed Peas have changed for the worse as well. I can't really think of any other names, but I know many music examples but again, I don't know song titles or artists so it's impossible for me to find them, nor will I subject myself to the torture of trudging through modern crap just to figure it out. :drinking:

Edit: On a side note I have to agree Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai are also exceptions to the rule. The music in them is very fitting and kinda just flows with the series, but by no means will I listen to the tracks without watching the anime.

Damn, not many fans in here xD I have to throw my lot in with those though, I absolutely loathe all forms of rap/hip-hop music. I just don't see any artistic merit in the genres at all, with the few exceptions Pidj mentioned, like Eminem, who actually put some thought into their lyrics.

I'm not joking at all, the music is just so bad to me that it's seriously torture. I cringe when I walk by bars and clubs playing it. I leave bars the moment someone knocks a jukebox into it, it literally grates on my ears like someone scratching a chalkboard. I really really really dislike the genre nowadays.

The only problem with your question of what did I like is that I've never really been one to care who did a song, the only thing I typically know is I just liked a song. I never go out of my way to find out the artist or the name of the song, I'm just weird like that. With that being said I really can't name too many artists and I can never name any songs. This is even true today. I find myself listening to a lot more rock than anything as the lyrics just feel way more thought out and typically have much better messages than the majority of the current HipHop and rap genres. Do note I'm not comparing ENTIRE genres here, just majorities.

Now that that's out of the way I recently came across Eminem again and I feel like he's kind of an exception to my rule. He still raps like he used to and hasn't changed with the genre. It's kinda refreshing. Snoop dog has changed, his music sucks now. Black Eyed Peas have changed for the worse as well. I can't really think of any other names, but I know many music examples but again, I don't know song titles or artists so it's impossible for me to find them, nor will I subject myself to the torture of trudging through modern crap just to figure it out. :drinking:

Edit: On a side note I have to agree Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai are also exceptions to the rule. The music in them is very fitting and kinda just flows with the series, but by no means will I listen to the tracks without watching the anime.

Oh okay. It still seems a bit petty to me, but hey, not everyone likes the same thing. Ehh, I'm not big on rock myself, but I do like a bit of metal. It's more so the guitars and stuff than the vocals, as I don't really care for metal/rock vocals.

Damn, not many fans in here xD I have to throw my lot in with those though, I absolutely loathe all forms of rap/hip-hop music. I just don't see any artistic merit in the genres at all, with the few exceptions Pidj mentioned, like Eminem, who actually put some thought into their lyrics.

Ah yes, Eminem. Who could forget artistic classics such as Ass Like That, Kill You, or Just Lose It? :P
All jokes aside, Eminem is pretty good. I'd say Cleaning Out My Closet is my favorite song by him. And, if you don't mind answering, what do you mean by artistic merit?

I listen to hip-hop now and then, though I am very lazy and not really looking up new artists or digging through discographies like I used to when I was a teenager, so it's mostly late 80's to the late 90's for me. I have little patience for a lot of the more modern mainstream stuff that I hear since it sounds way too overproduced and slick to me. For me, a big part of the charm is how they used to go about sampling and making beats, and most of the newer stuff don't have that, I dunno, analog charm. The rampant misogyny spewed by some artists is also incredibly tiresome and severely off-putting, though that's not in any way unique to hip-hop, and there's plenty of material without that shit if you care to dig around.

My favourites would be Public Enemy, Rakim and Nas. I have soft spots for some NWA and Wu-Tang Clan stuff as well. I'm trying to get into KRS-One, MC Lyte and Immortal Technique, but it's on the backburner.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one of my favourite rappers is actually Zach de la Rocha from Rage Against the Machine, but most of his musical output isn't hip-hop. I don't even know if he's done any new material since that single together with DJ Shadow.

I just heard Nicki Minaj on the TV... aw gad why....

----

This is real rap (waka probably knows).

This also. Real gangsta shiet.

What? You think that's that gangsta shit? You ain't about that life! Naw man, this that real shit right here! Listen to this shit man!! And this too.

MF DOOM eh? Well, I just found another artist that I like! That Dr. Doom mask is kinda silly though...

@Hasse
Yeah, the beats are a big part of hip-hop for me too. Shook Ones Pt. 2 is probably one of the best hip-hop beats ever.

Okay, y'all seriosuly need to listen to some Lil' B. He has the most deep and complex lyrics that put Eminem and Nas to shame and make them say, "Damn, I wish he'd fuck my bitch!"

I Own Swag
Wonton Soup
Charlie Sheen

Best rapper of all fucking time am I right guys? You're all welcome.

Oh okay. It still seems a bit petty to me, but hey, not everyone likes the same thing. Ehh, I'm not big on rock myself, but I do like a bit of metal. It's more so the guitars and stuff than the vocals, as I don't really care for metal/rock vocals.

Ah yes, Eminem. Who could forget artistic classics such as Ass Like That, Kill You, or Just Lose It? :P
All jokes aside, Eminem is pretty good. I'd say Cleaning Out My Closet is my favorite song by him. And, if you don't mind answering, what do you mean by artistic merit?

Eminem's lyrics in his more serious songs are quite poetic. Toy Soldiers is a good example, and his funnier songs are entertaining enough to be considerably fun to listen to.

By artistic merit, I mean the ensemble of a musical track and an artist's consistency for producing quality material. If you want an example just look to X Japan and their song Art of Life. By and far one of the most beautifully constructed songs ever.

It's the same reason I love Avenged Sevenfold; they've consistently produced songs with strong lyrics and instrumentals. They're a good example of the hard rock genre that have a unique sound, atypical of the mainstream, and they know how to blend complex rhythms together without sounding repetitive (it's easy to identify songs almost instantly).

I just don't think rap/hip-hop can reach those limits. It lacks the quality that is produced from the melody of other genres that utilize actual musicians, limited by homogenousity in sound. Rap in particular is a personal gripe of mine for being mostly speed-talking to a beat.

To compare rap/hip-hop to other genres is the difference between a Monet painting and Modern "Art," to me. Albeit I can give hip-hop more credit than that laughably ridiculous excuse of donkey shite we're expected to call "art." At least hip-hop actually tries and isn't just gluing fucking tic-tacs to a dildo and calling it a representation of sexual frustration.

And what are these vocals you speak of? Roy Kahn's? Ville Valo's? Hans Jürgen Kürsch's? Bruce Dickinson's? Simone Simmons'?

There's a HUGE diversity of sound among the rock/metal genres.

Your examples of rap make me wonder if you're just trolling :P

@Hasse
Yeah, the beats are a big part of hip-hop for me too. Shook Ones Pt. 2 is probably one of the best hip-hop beats ever.

That's one nice beat.

Okay, y'all seriosuly need to listen to some Lil' B. He has the most deep and complex lyrics that put Eminem and Nas to shame and make them say, "Damn, I wish he'd fuck my bitch!"

I Own Swag
Wonton Soup
Charlie Sheen

Best rapper of all fucking time am I right guys? You're all welcome.

Goddamnit, that's almost genius in its rampant awfulness.

Back