Gangsta.

Yeah, this one is a definite watch. Hopefully it'll be good and won't start crawling up its own butthole dispensing Gangsta wisdom.

I stalled the manga ages ago, cause the "One chapter every two months" release made it hard to remember what happened last chapter. Gonna be fun, though. I've missed that snarky deaf bastard.

The fact that you stalled it for being slow rather than being bored is a good sign that it probably won't get overly pretentious or philosophical.

The trailer for this was pretty nice and had some good action.

Well, I didn't say that. There is a recurring story element that can get a little preachy. Didn't bug me though.

I'm approaching this with the mindset that it's likely gonna suck in the end, but if it doesn't I'm in for a treat, as this is the kind of setting I enjoy. If it does, though, well, at least that's something to talk about even if it's in a bad way. It should still spark more conversation than the usual bad anime show.

This type of show always concerns me in the sense that i hope they don't go overboard with trying to make it super edgy just for the sake of it. I really want this one to not suck.
Basically my sentiment. I fear it getting all pretentious in how "mature" it is.

The fact that you stalled it for being slow rather than being bored is a good sign that it probably won't get overly pretentious or philosophical.
Yep, I like Black Lagoon a lot, but that's definitely one area that it went too far in, so I too don't to see that from Gangsta.

Episode 1

Also, the OP was pretty cool. Awful song, but kind of fit the show, and the visuals were great. The OST in general was nice as well.
I wasn't really sure about watching this show, but when I saw OP on reddit I liked it, so I think I will try this too :sweat:

Based on the first episode, it doesn't feel like it's breaking much new ground, but other than that, it was fine. There's a fair chance it'll be the only thing I'll bother keeping up with for this season.

I'm loving it so far. That intro slams you in the face. The MCs are presented great. I'm in love with the gritty feel of it. Reminds me of Black Lagoon.

Open the image in a new window. It's a lot bigger and makes a great background.
WRzTIPuM54NhsDsK-qBrGiukVRpojM5RG05ZTaKjFuU=w1266-h713-no

Episode 1:

I felt like the first episode was pretty paint by numbers and it left me feeling lukewarm. By no means did I find it bad, but the best part for me was the visuals in the OP even if the song was hot garbage. The Black Lagoon comparison is a pretty apt one because this is another series that has the feel and aesthetic of an 80s action movie, but unlike Black Lagoon this one hasn't grabbed me quite yet.

Seems me the main conflicts here are going to be the old world mobsters with their code clashing against younger more unruly young gangs. The Dog Tags fall somewhere in the middle between the two not quite fitting in with the old world sense of honor, but not completely wild like the younger generation. The duo certainly has their own sense of honor, but I think it's a code they've cooked up for themselves and it leaves them flexible to do things like save Alex.

The animation this episode was really cool and the characters designs are nice. The action scenes were well done and had energy. I like the color palette used in the episode as it made the world feel more vibrant and alive while retaining some of the gritty feel of the characters.

The reason I think I felt lukewarm on the episode is it felt very been there done that. Two badass handymen paid to take out a group of very obvious villains while saving the girl. The setting isn't anything special either with corrupt cops and everything run by the mob. The Dog Tags are the only thing to give the episode a little flavor and even they are just kinda relegated to pretty generic badasses so far. The most unique thing about them is one of them being deaf and it's not even like him being deaf matters because he always understands what everyone is saying. Beyond a few cool uses of his sign langue and his talking scene at the end there's not much point in him being deaf. I unfortunately did find the talking scene to be a bit silly. It was cool at first, but I think it went on for too long.

From this episode I see a few places where this could get kinda preachy with the protagonists providing gangsta wisdom in a lesson of the week type of format. I'm also hoping they will face more formidable foes. The enemy this episode was little more than fodder.

I know Nic is deaf but when the guy started shooting next to his ear all I could think of was Archer complaining about tinnitus.

So far it's okay. My wife enjoyed it more than I did.

Can we stop using Black Lagoon as the damn measuring stick already? Every time there's a gritty action show, people have to trot out the Black Lagoon comparisons. Black Lagoon didn't invent the violent action anime.

Can we stop using Black Lagoon as the damn measuring stick already? Every time there's a gritty action show, people have to trot out the Black Lagoon comparisons. Black Lagoon didn't invent the violent action anime.

They use Black Lagoon cause it's what comes to mind first. However, no anime should ever be compared to another unless it's a direct spinoff, held in the same universe, or a continuation (next season). It's just stupid.

I referenced Black Lagoon cause it feels like it. Except this time the badass female is made into a helpless one.

Back