Movie Review and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've watched quite a few movies in the last week or so.

22261827-870b-4258-853f-9d0389d35bd5
t83qMrW.jpg

A lot of amazing ones but 12 Angry men was absolutely glorious and entered my top movies list.

Green Room had amazing qt neo-Nazi skinhead waifu.

And I'm probably underrating Das Boot, it gets better the more you think about it.

Glad to see you enjoyed Black Dynamite. It's a great parody, but even if you don't know anything about blacksploitation it's hilarious. Michael Jai White should be a bigger star.

Now to find an excuse to call someone a jive turkey.

Glad to see you enjoyed Black Dynamite. It's a great parody, but even if you don't know anything about blacksploitation it's hilarious. Michael Jai White should be a bigger star.

Now to find an excuse to call someone a jive turkey.

Black Dynamite was glorious. Makes me want to watch Samurai Cop and similar work that may or may not be so conscious of how ridiculous it is.

Green Room had amazing qt neo-Nazi skinhead waifu.

Saw Green Room actually not too long ago, and totally agreed my man, personally for me it was a shit fuck ton of fun seeing Patrick Stewart playing as a Neo-Nazi when you consider what types of roles he usually plays. :laugh:

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a pretty entertaining flick. :drinking:

Green Room was amazing as a thriller, and Patrick did an amazing job playing calculated Neo-Nazi bossman. I did not expect it or was I aware he'd have a role in the movie, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

I'll probably watch Combat Girls and similar movies because Green Room woke a fetish I was not aware of.

>tfw no neo-Nazi waifu to make /pol/ jokes with while you're sobering her from almost ODing on heroin :'C

I "waste" too much time watching stuff I think, but recently gotten my paws on some interesting stuff, some older stuff, netflix is fun, but they are night wolf, not all that bad to be honest, a werewolf pre twilight I'm going to say. when the werewolf was creepy and scary looking and not some handsome stranger in the woods. also remotely scary, they did a great job with the cgi and the gore and violence was well played. another was Gabriel, yup about the angel, that is sent to purgatory to redeem the souls that evil has control over, well there's the plot. it wasn't all that bad, dark and reminded me a lot like the crow with brandon lee. fight scenes were a bit fail, they might have almost tried a bit too hard with this one, over all it had an interesting concept to it. gave dragon blade a go as well, found it to be remotely horrible, jackie chan is alright actor, but I'm not a fan of his acting style in some cases. he should stick with modern things and leave the older things to the other actors like donnie yen or something, just saying opinions and such.

Still debating on whether or not I want to see that Light's Out movie. The trailer looked pretty uninspiring though, and I hate the absolute crap out of jump scares. Those do absolutely nothing for me at this point.

Still debating on whether or not I want to see that Light's Out movie. The trailer looked pretty uninspiring though, and I hate the absolute crap out of jump scares. Those do absolutely nothing for me at this point.

I haven't seen the movie but you might want to watch the short film that the concept is based on.

If you find that obnoxious then it's probably best to stay away from the movie. For my two cents I think that the short is an example of jump scares done right with proper build up and tension. However, I think it's a concept best left as a short and I'm not sure it is worth building an entire movie around.

This one seems like a wait for it to come to home video for me.

The Killing Joke was pretty bad and just as edgy as it was in comic form. Only this time it has mediocre animation to contend with. It looks more like some TV episodes strung together as opppsed to an actual film. They even made the iconic ending scene come off as totally flat through its limp direction.

The Joker did NOT need this kind of character analysis. It just sort of misses the appeal of his character to begin with.

so I watched a more recent film lately, Crimson Peak, it wasn't totally bad, it was a Gothic horror, drama, romance set in older times aka a period piece. I probably wouldn't waste my time on watching this again, but I was impressed with the cgi ghosties they put in and the plot was remotely uncommon, as is I haven't seen it overly done, however the setup was a lot like house on haunted hill, a creepy old mansion haunted sort of deal. but if you got nothing better to watch, then it's better than watching paint dry and probably a lot of syfy shark movies...

I would have enjoyed Crimson Peak much more if the main character wasn't made out to be this strong female that breaks all the social conventions at the start of the movie only to turn into a bowl of jello as soon as a handsome man started paying attention to her. Also it took me about ten minutes to work out the whole plot for the movie including the twist so it mostly felt like I was killing time watching the gorgeous visuals waiting for the ending to confirm what I'd already figured out.

Hiddleston and Chastain were both great though.

yeah same here, the visuals and shots were great, the plot was dragging by the middle. and I totally agree, she was so strong comparing herself to Mary Shelly, then, poof, love and bam there she goes. sometimes writers do things differently, but doing a strong female role isn't main stream?

so, recently been watching syfy (american scifi channel for those not really familiar with it) it's shark week, so I have been wasting time with that. once past the commercials it doesn't take too long, but found Zombie Shark to be super funny, they don't even try to make a serious zombie flick anymore, you will be missed Resident Evil. then there was this:

Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf! dude I laughed more than I did anything else, found that watching these cheesy movies somewhat buzzed actually takes on a whole new light, warning video may contain sensitive material including mature settings and violence. have others to watch, but something tells me they are just going to be just as corny, passing the time until the final adventure of Sharknado 4 later tonight.

Speaking of campy, silly movies, ended up seeing Jack Frost again, and it's honestly still the pure definition of a so bad it's good movie to me. All the really dumb puns just give me the dopiest grin on my face and I mean.....I can't really lie, it's got the most creative use of a carrot I've seen that's got to be seen to be believed guys.

Ryan's still a little shit though that annoys the fuck out of me. Fucking dumbass kid.

Whelp, there's been an influx of a ton of incredibly negative reviews coming in for Suicide Squad from every corner basically, that pretty much just kills about any shred of enthusiasm I had. This feels like it's going to be another Batman Vs. Superman fiasco.

Whelp, there's been an influx of a ton of incredibly negative reviews coming in for Suicide Squad from every corner basically, that pretty much just kills about any shred of enthusiasm I had. This feels like it's going to be another Batman Vs. Superman fiasco.

From one of the reviews on RT:
Who stole the soul of Suicide Squad? I'd say it's Ayer's willingness to go all limp-dick and compromise his hardcore action bona fides for a PG-13 crowdpleaser that would rather ingratiate than cut deep, or even cut at all.

Ouch!

DC should have scrapped the movie and started over after they saw Deadpool. Suicide Squad is another thing that would benefit from a hard R rating, but until Deadpool made all of the money Studios didn't think a R Super Hero movie would sell. Instead DC took the half assed route and did extensive re-shoots to try to fix the film and from the look of the reviews it didn't work out.

What strikes me is how the marketing for the movie evolved. That first trailer was completely different in tone from all the rest. Then Batman v Superdudebro failed and all the Suicide Squad trailers after that were much less serious. In fact I even enjoyed the last couple of trailers, but a good trailer doesn't make for a good movie.

Ah well, I'm still curious to see it to see if Leto's Joker sucks as much as all the marketing material tells me it does.

Yeah, and I'm just going to say, I didn't really hold too much salt in David Ayer in the first place as director. Considering he also praised Superman Vs. Batman, bleah.....

But anyway, fuck Leto, they should have gotten Willem Dafoe to be the joker.

I mean, just look at the steaming sexiness of that smile! It makes my heart swoon pretty hard.

Yeah DC seems to hire the most incompetent people. I didn't watch BvS because everyone I know who has seen it told me that it's garbage. And apparently director's cut fixes some parts but I'm very skeptical to watch a longer version of something I'd most likely find to be shit. Suacide Squad, in comparison, seemed like it was in the bag, but seeing the reception I'm just baffled how incompetent these people are.

I just hope this is a beginning of an end to capeshit movies. We really could use a better formula for action movies.

I just hope this is a beginning of an end to capeshit movies. We really could use a better formula for action movies.

I'm not sure where actions movies have left to go. The Bourne Identity was a great action movie, but the sequels kind of got a little worse as it went on, and they spawned all these movies which took the completely wrong things from the films and exaggerated the stupidest parts, films like Taken, Survivor, that one with Neeson and the wolves...

At least Marvel can still make fun popcorn flicks out of their superhero movies, even if most of them don't stand up to much in depth scrutiny, they tend to be good films to switch your brain off and enjoy the visuals, unlike DC in recent years.

Honestly, I feel like action films have been done to death at this point, and many recent films aren't as good as the cheesefests of the 80's, sci-fi action seems to be solely reliant on Star Wars and Star Trek with no one taking a gamble on anything original, and this run of "escape the corrupt government" and revenge films have been shit.

I'm not sure where actions movies have left to go. The Bourne Identity was a great action movie, but the sequels kind of got a little worse as it went on, and they spawned all these movies which took the completely wrong things from the films and exaggerated the stupidest parts, films like Taken, Survivor, that one with Neeson and the wolves...

At least Marvel can still make fun popcorn flicks out of their superhero movies, even if most of them don't stand up to much in depth scrutiny, they tend to be good films to switch your brain off and enjoy the visuals, unlike DC in recent years.

Honestly, I feel like action films have been done to death at this point, and many recent films aren't as good as the cheesefests of the 80's, sci-fi action seems to be solely reliant on Star Wars and Star Trek with no one taking a gamble on anything original, and this run of "escape the corrupt government" and revenge films have been shit.

I can agree with a lot of this other than this part:

that one with Neeson and the wolves...

This movie was certainly advertised like a big dumb action flick, but it turned out to be a slow burn man vs nature movie that was about breaking down the typical action movie male machismo. When confronted with the harsh fury of nature each of the character broke their rough, hard bitten manly image and showed their weaknesses and securities. Neeson's character is pretty depressed throughout the film and his central struggle grappling with the question of what it means to be a man in the modern world. Things have changed so much in the recent past and all the old definitions of what it means to be manly have become a sort of outdated. Neeson's character is an older idea of masculinity and he's starting to feeling like he's been outdated. It's only in the last few minutes of the movie that it becomes the Liam Neeson fist fights wolves movie that the trailer promised and even then it's not quite as exaggerated as it sounds and it doesn't end the way most action movies would have it end. The wolves were in an antagonistic role, but the primary antagonist was nature itself, which posed just as much of a threat as the wolf pack and while the wolf pack was a fearsome opponent nature is pretty much an insurmountable threat.

The movie also had a pretty eerie atmosphere and great sound design that took advantage of the sounds of nature being a threat with the sounds of the wolves howling being a chilling sound that warns of the impending doom each of the characters face.

The movies does have its flaws. Both the wolves and Neeson's group are dumb. The wolves are made dumb so the movie isn't five minutes of wolves savaging Neeson's group and then another hour and twenty minutes of the wolves picking humans out of their teeth. Neeson's group being dumb can kinda be excused by people acting dumb in a crisis situation, but Neeson is supposed to be a survivalist and should know better.

However I can suspend my disbelief for both of these because I found the exploration of the characters and the various themes to be interesting. I found the movie to be a cut above anything else Neeson has done since he was reinvented as a tough guy action star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back