zala's avatar

zala

• Joined Oct 27, 2016
  • ?

Fans of Godzilla often have to endure pain because of the wide range of quality in the Godzilla franchise. From great to fun to boring to miserable, how does Godzilla: Kaijuu Wakusei compare?

Story: I enjoyed the idea of the movie: Godzilla is so powerful that he destroyed most of humanity. All survivors had to flee to space. Even with the help of aliens, Godzilla was too powerful. This sounds like a good idea because most Godzilla movies are too conservative about the destruction that Godzilla can bring to Earth. The problems with the story have to do with the characters and the plot. The characters are barely fleshed out, a common problem with Godzilla movies. The weak characters make the plot boring, as I did not care about character deaths. Godzilla has very little screen time, and the characters bring down a neat idea.

Animation: The movie is entirely CGI, and the CGI is disappointing. Most of the characters are fine, but many moments look strange. The directing is fine, and character perspectives are decent. The main problem is that Godzilla looks like he is made of plastic. Godzilla has looked silly in many movies, but he is not presented well here.

Summary: A neat story idea is wrecked by bland characters, ugly CGI and a boring pacing. Toho does not know how to make this movie interesting and fun, and the feeling I had was disappointment. I have no intention of watching the sequel, as this was a poor start to any new Godzilla anime.

7.5/10 animation