yasmin09's avatar

• Joined Jun 1, 2010
  • ? / F

Kitchen Princess

Jun 3, 2010

Story: The plot seemed decent at first glance. However, everything about this manga boiled down to a typical, generic shoujo storyline.

Trait 1: Plain average girl who is fairly kind but lacks any other distinguishing trait garners the love and attention from the school's hot shots aka the guys all the girls love.

Trait 2: She gets the mean eye from the model in class who's jealous of her because the love of her life likes the main female instead of herself.

Trait 3: Everyone, and I mean everyone, has to love the girl because she's just so sweet.

Yeah, the main line was extremely predicatable and unoriginal like 95% of shoujo and there were lame fillers galore. Since the series was predictable, the manga on-whole was pretty boring. The only exception was that this series included cooking and baking which I absolutely love. It was pretty much the only reason I kept reading the story till the end and gave it such a high score. I just loved all the food references. If it was not for the food, I would give this manga a 2.5/3 and that would be pushing it.

Art: The art is extremely sub-par. There are a ridiculous amount of flowers and sparkles and polka dots that are just so distracting. The side profiles made the characters seem very unattractive. The boys are supposed to typical bishies but I found only Daichi to be cute. Najika was generic looking like many shoujo girls. I guess it's supposed to fit her completely bland personality? The expressions were incredibly over the top. Whenever a character was supposed to look shocked/upset, they just wound up looking like zombies. Not a fan.

Characters: Nothing remotely special about the characters. I can easily summarize every one of them in a about a sentence.

Najika/Main chick: Plain, dense, clueless, but nice and can cook and who swoons for the Prince in the school at first glance.

Sora: Knight in Shining Armor who is kind and lives solely to make the main girl happy.

Daichi: Nice but jokes around a lot with the main girl and lives soley to make the main girl happy.

etc....everyone falls under a stereotype. There's the mean jealous girl, misunderstood dad, misunderstood chef boy, cute kids, loving/supportive grandma, and the list goes on.

Overall: Okay if you're into all shoujo fluff entertainment that completely lacks in substance and consists of predictable plots and two-dimensional characters or you really love food or both. However if you want something with substance where you don't get sappy moment after moment, not to mention a sickenenly sweet, cliche, predictable ending that can make you gag, don't even bother with this. Now the reason for the high score was because of the recipes at the end. I highly recommend getting the manga just to try the recipes. Instead of wasting your time reading this manga, make the food. It's a lot more satisfying.

4.5/10 art
3.5/10 characters
4.5/10 overall

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

Chiiisa Oct 4, 2011

Just because you dont like it you dont have to like totally turn it down.!

WittyKatts Aug 25, 2010

I thought everything you hated was what made it adorable, but everyone has different opinions... ^^;