whitelionV's avatar

whitelionV

• Joined May 17, 2008

Green Legend Ran

Jan 16, 2012

This 3 chapter OVA can be seen as a movie. A movie trying really hard to emulate Miyazaki. Although it's not a total waste and at no moment did I felt like dropping the serie... it's not good.

Animation:

Lets start by the worst. The animation is bad. Like, really bad... like it was made in the early 80's... by bad animators. Its so bad, that when the 2 decently drawn scenes appear in screen you are like "Woah!", yet when you review said scenes for your anime-planet review you realize that it was a mere contrast effect.

BUT!... but. It's not so bad you don't get what you are seing, and there are a few original and interesting stuff scatered around. (Note "a few", cause they are literally 4 or 5).

Humans destroy the Earth's flora and fauna and have to live in a barren desert for centuries until a profecy comes true and the Earth returns to its green and blue colors. A special girl, a hyperactive boy, and an 'old' accomplished man helping in the back. Yep, as original as it sounds.

Bearable but unimpresive.

Not simple, yet not complex either. The ending wasn't all that clear for me, but since they were details and the overall didn't managed to hook me, I didn't went out of my way to figure 'em out

Unremarkable. At least I don't remember anything that would require comment

The usual. Their development on the borderline of: meh. Nothing to hate, nothing to love.

Overall

I repeat: Don't be fooled by the screenshot of the girl in the anime description, it doesn't represent the animation.
I did watch the whole thing with little regret, but I'm sure I'm not watching it again. Few interesting concepts are presented but nothing that put this anime in a TOP 10.

Notice: Be careful, it seems there's a sensored version of this, I didn't saw it but I read they took away one or two of those "few original and interesting stuff scatered around" I metioned before.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

Sarcataclysmal Dec 28, 2018

The animation is actually pretty solid. It isn't bad at all; just because it's 80s/90s animation doesnt mean it's bad. You can't rate anime animation from over 20 years ago using a base high quality works produced from anime industry today. In fact, a lot of the OVA is animated better than the average anime today; we can see a lot of detailed movements in the OVA around the 40 minute mark of the first episode where Aira is about to fall off of the "cliff". Here, the hair sways majestically, and her body sways around as Ran holds on (and eventually) lifts her over. And the actual movement of him lifting her back to him is spectacularly done.

Again, rating the animation based on the best stuff that comes out today (from studios like Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress), Ufotable (Fate/Zero, The Garden of Sinners), or CoMix Wave Inc (Makoto Shinkai's works)) isn't really fair. Superdimensional Fortress Macross, the 1982 series by Artland and Tatsunoko Production, features a lot of brilliant mecha animation- animation that far surpasses, say, stuff like Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (a mecha series by Actas) or even KyoAni's Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Hell, some of the best animation ever to be seen in anime comes from the 80s- Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira from 1988, animated by TMS Entertainment.

I get that no every scene in the OVA looks relatively majestic as I described it to be, but that's true for all series. A retarded scene where the guy in Your Name is running totally killed my animation boner; if you pause a good Naruto fight you might find something funny; Attack on Titan isn't always solid, sometimes you'll notice a gun or two with erectile dysfunction (meaning it looks wonky and not like a gun). Point is: the animation is good.