wecreatemore's avatar

• Joined May 29, 2015
  • ?

Utakoi

May 30, 2015

Great josei series! It's also great to watch if you're into historical anime (particulary the Heian era). Or poetry. Personally I'm not into poetry, but now I want to read poems from the Heian time period. They're beautiful. I'd also place this series in the same category as Miyazaki films; rewatchable classics. That's how marvelous I found Uta Koi.

Favorite aspects (in no particular order):

1. The art style. It looks like the creators incorporated elements from paintings during the Heian era. It makes for a very unique style and highly artistic eyegasm.
  2. Mature romance. I'm not talking explicit sex scenes but depictions of more realistic relationships, expecially in context of the Heian time period. Warning: You will have bittersweet feelings. Oh, the feels!
  3. Heian era info. While the stories are fictional, the poems and characters are not. You also get to learn a little bit about Heian period culture. However, if you're looking for the history lesson and a way to give deeper meaning to the anime, you might find it helpful to read a quick overview of the time period. I'm talking wikipedia brief. I'd focus on literature and romance/relationships in your search. BUT, background reading isn't essential to enjoy Uta Koi.

Drawback: I have serious withdrawal now and looking for a new anime to watch is frustrating. Nothing is as good as Uta Koi!