trashcan007's avatar

trashcan007

• Sesame Street
  • Joined Oct 8, 2023

****Yes there will be spoilers in this review****

I'll start with the good and then share my gripes.

As always the action scenes are amazing. The animators are talented. Whatever they are paying them, they need to double it.

The mild humor in this particular section/arc was much better. Sometimes the boar and lightning guys go overboard with the yelling and wannabe-humor. This arc had a nice balance.

I also found the side characters' back stories much better in this arc. Not too long, not too short. They were also meaningful and added depth and relatability to the characters.

I loved Mitsuri's shape shifting sword. God d@mn, that sword is cool.

The ending was also good to see. I'm glad Tanjirou wasn't out cold and finally recieved a little recognition.

Now for my minor gripes:

• The plot is decent in this arc- though the overall anime doesn't seem to be moving too much. It feels like the demon slayers are always waiting for the demons to make their moves before doing anything.
  • Nezuko already had crazy strong powers before without consuming anyone, but now Nezuko is a "daywalker?" A few too many coincidences for me.
  • The sawed-off shotgun-looking gun felt out of place. It also has pretty much no recoil and can apparently take off a demon's head with one shot. In my opinion, if you're going to have guns in the anime, give everyone a gun. Hell, give the vulnerable citizens a gun to even the odds against the constant threat of demons.
  • The water barrier scene was also completely unrealistic. A blade can't get through the barrier, but air bubbles can? And the air bubbles go right into the demon slayer's mouth? Come on now… but I will swallow my logical berating on this one as well.

The main issue I had with this arc:

The growing complexity of the kill conditions. I get it, the fights have to be interesting and difficult. I also get that the demon slayer has to be at a certain strength level to be able to cut the necks of super strong demons, but let's face it the killing conditions have now become downright ridiculous. Hear me out:

• It all started in the train arc which, despite the sad ending, was my favorite arc. The train sleep-demon had about 3 cool and strong strong abilities. But then, after getting his neck sliced, he simply turned his body into the train and was able to regenerate his neck at an alarming rate. That was a little annoying, but it wasn't too bad.
  • Next, in the entertainment arc, after fighting the regenerating cloth below the earth, and defeating the whore demon above the earth, we find out that a whole other demon (who has his own set of even stronger abilities) was connected to the whore lady the whole time. Now his neck has to be sliced simultaneously with the whore demon?!?! Just slicing one was insanely difficult. This condition was beyond ridiculous in my opinion.

….On a side note, the whore demon and her crazed-protector guy mentioned how many high-level demon slayers they've managed to kill (over 20 combined), but everyone was somehow still surprised when one high-level demon slayer was killed in the train arc? Another Inconsistency. But Anyway….

• In this swordsmith arc, after slicing the neck of one high level demon, that demon divides into 4 different unique-fighting forms which all have regenerative healing. Then, after the good guys barely manage to slice all 4 "simultaneously," a 5th is revealed?!?! This is when it started to really get under my skin. Are you kidding me? This is becoming extremely annoying. This 5th demon simply runs away, giving the other 4 a chance to recover. But that's not all; now all 4 demon bodies merge to form 1 super strong demon body. Then, the 5th gets to run away while the strong demon wreaks havoc. Next, after slicing the head of  the 5th demon (the real body), he's still alive, running in what appears to be brighter sunlight than what hit Nezuko. Apparently this is because his head was where his heart should have been. I mean, when does it end?

At this point, I'm almost expecting the next "kill condition" to be: 1 high level demon, after getting its neck sliced off, splits into 6 separate super strong demons, all with unique powers. Then, all 6 have to get their hearts cut out, their heads sliced off and all their toenails ripped out all at the same time. If not, they're back to full health. Hahaha, I mean WHEN DOES IT END? Seriously. And keep in mind, our friendly neighborhood demon slayers have no regenerative powers. One good hit or cut could spell disaster for them.

In conclusion, this arc from Demon Slayer was above average. It manages to squeeze out a 7/10 due to the improvements to the humor, characters, and backstories. It's just getting a little TOO far out there for me with the kill conditions and the other minor details I mentioned above.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

trashcan007 Nov 26, 2023

Hahaha. Yeah, someone needs to slip him some sleeping pills or something.

Frommidgard Nov 26, 2023

The boar and lightning guy - I laughed at it more than I should had XD. Same, man I wish Zeintsu (Ah! yes the lightning guy) were asleep the whole day..