tollie01's avatar

tollie01

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

First some items I need to adress. I'm Dutch to expect some spelling errors, if they are to annoying just message me and I'll fix it.

My opinion may vary from others and this is fine. People are different so there is a good chance that I will not like what you love. Deal with it. I'm not telling you that you should hate it too, I'm telling you why I didn't like it.

I'll try to keep swearing to a minimum but fail utterly on occasion. In general it is the more the anime pisses me off the more I swear so watch out for the low scored ones.

Art: It's fine. It's so very hard these days to screw this part up with the use of CGI in sp many shows. Not outstanding but certainly not bad either. It does what it needs to do.

Sound: I very rarely pay any attention to the music. It should be there but not overshadow what is on screen and in that regard it succeeded. Voice acting is fine.

Characters: The main character is Ushio. He is a very kind-hearted and values all life. He will go through great lengths to keep his friends save. Wielding the beast spear he is a match for the powerful monsters plagueing the land but the is a price to pay for wielding its powers.

Tora. He is a very powerful Yokai who was imprisoned at Ushio's shrine for 500 years. Upon release he is very curious about the world today and vows to one day eat Ushio. His hatred for Hakumen no Mono holds him back as its destruction comes first.

Hakumen no Mono is an extremely powerful Yokai that almsot destroyed Japan centuries before. Only the combined effort of the other Yokai fighting with the humans drove it back. Since then it has been hibernating, biding its time, but now it is once again stirring.

Story. For 500 years Ushio and his ancesters have watched over the shrine that they life in. One day he discovers a sealed room that houses a massive monster. After freeing it he learns that this monster is named Tora and that Ushios' ancester defeated him here 500 years ago. Now that he is free he plans to go out for a little rampage. Fortunately Ushio proves to be possessing his ancesters spirit as he proceeds to beat Tora into submission. Now, somewhat docile, Tora starts to help out Ushio in fighting the monsters. He claims it is so that no other monster will feast on Ushio's flesh before him but a strange partnership starts to develop between them. Then they learn that Hakumen no Mono is once again stirring and they must find a way to stop this monster once and for all or it will destroy all they hold dear.

Rant. I really liked the start of this anime. It takes it time with setting up the characters with simple monsters of the week stories that are only there to set up the rules of the world and the characters while in the background the main arc of Hakumen no Mono slowly becomes more and more visible.

Tora starts out as a simple monster but slowly eveolves into a well rounded character and upon learning his origin you really start to understand him. Which is why I absolutely hated what they did with him near the end of the series. This is where you learn one truth that completely, utterly destroys his entire character arc with one sentence.

If you would take this out then I would easily give this anime a 8/10 as this anime really ticks some of my boxes. The story is character driven so you know why things happen as they do and why people do as they do...with the exception of Tora. This is what I like about stories. The best stories is where you create some characters, flesh them out and put them into situations where you can essentially sit back and watch as there is nothing for you to do as a writer. The characters have been set up properly so they'll react as you expect them to and do what they'll need to do and not be forced through some hoops because the writer put himself into a corner.