tollie01's avatar

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

Seraph of the End

Dec 12, 2020

First some items I need to adress. I'm Dutch to expect some spelling errors, if they are to annoying just message me and I'll fix it.

My opinion may vary from others and this is fine. People are different so there is a good chance that I will not like what you love. Deal with it. I'm not telling you that you should hate it too, I'm telling you why I didn't like it.

I'll try to keep swearing to a minimum but fail utterly on occasion. In general it is the more the anime pisses me off the more I swear so watch out for the low scored ones.

Art: It's fine. It's so very hard these days to screw this part up with the use of CGI in sp many shows. Not outstanding but certainly not bad either. It does what it needs to do.

Sound: I very rarely pay any attention to the music. It should be there but not overshadow what is on screen and in that regard it succeeded. Voice acting is fine.

Characters: The main character is Yu. After escaping the vampires he wants nothing more than to have revenge on the vampires that killed his adoptive family.

Mika is the only remaining member of his family that survived the slaughter by being turned into a vampire. He lives on so that one day he can save Yu.

Story. One day a virus ravages the Earth, killing everyone over the age of 13. In the wake of this disaster, vampires rise up out of the shadows and blame the humans for causing this. They then round up a large number of surviving children before retreating back underground. Years later Yu dreams of overthrowing the vampires and returning to the surface. Together with his friend Mika and everyone from the orphanage try to escape but only Yu survives the slaughter that follows by escaping to the surface. There he learns that Humanity not only survived but thrived under the protection of the Demon army. These highly skilled soldiers are able to fight back against the vampires and beat them back. Yu wants nothing more than to join them so that he can take revenge on the vampires that killed his family.

Rant. I didn't really know what to expect from this anime but I've been hearing nothing to bad about it. It has vampires, which I like. It has action, which I like also. So I sat down to watch it and after the first episode I realised that I was in trouble as I hated the main character Yu.

Yu is one of those archtype characters that you see a lot. He knows best, has a huge chip on his shoulder and will repeatedly disregard orders because he feels differently. He also keeps going on about family and on how important that it for him. This is kind of hilarious considering the lengths he goes through to put his current family in one lethal danger after the other.

Let me be clear about this anime, it has just one theme throughout it and that is FAMILY!!!!! FAMILY IS ALL!!! FAMILY MUST BE PROTECTED!!!!

During most of the run time this gets hammered in repeatedly for multiple characters. Yu wants to protect his new family and take revenge for what happened to his old family. Yoichi wants to revenge his sister who was killed by vampires as she protected him. Shiho is in the army because his sister is sick and by joining she gets better care. Mika wants revenge for his lost family and wants nothing more than to protect his remaining family, Yu.

The problem is that the anime isn't consistent with this. During the show the vampires raid one of the settlements and at one point you learn that it is the one that his sister lives in. He doesn't even bat an eye and looks like he can't be bothered to go and save her. In fact she isn't mentioned again during the rest of the fight.

Yu goes balistic when his family is cencerned or when fighting to protect someone. This is done so that he is put in a heroic light but makes him out to be an idiot. He goes against the grain more often than not putting those around him in mortal danger more than once. This culminates in a fight against a massively overpowered vampire who easily beats them in multiple encounters. Yu keeps going back to fight him, against orders, and gets his ass handed to him every time. The only reason he survives all these encounters is either the vampire letting him go or his team bailing him out.

Then there is the drama....if you read some of my reviews you may think that I hate drama but this is not the case. What I hate is BAD drama. Conflicts that can, and should be, resolved by a 2 centence conversation are NOT drama. The same can be said for lossed opportunities for drama. We are shown at the end of episode 3 that Mika is alive and a vampire and my first reaction was: Why? Why are we shown this now and in this way?

What I mean is that the impact of the reveal that Mika is alive is a dramatic event. You, the viewer, must feel the same shock as the main character when it is revealed. We are shown many episodes before Yu discovers this fact so we feel nothing when it finally happens. It is a twist that is utterly wasted.

A good twist is from Star Wars: the Empire strikes back. Here the villain reveals to the main character who he really is and it destroys him. Meanwhile the audience in the theater were likewise floored because untill then the guy was nothing more than a powerful mini boss.

World building is minimal. We start with the virus just dropping everyone over the age of 13 instantly all over the world at the same time. Hving lived with an actual pandemic for over a year now we know that a virus doesn't work like that but who cares. We are then shown that vampires are real...alright. Next we get 2 time jumps in short order to age up our main characters.

We skip a few years to Yu, Mika and their family living in captivity where Yu's demonstrates in inability to stop doing things that will get himself killed. He is saved from dying by Mika who also demonstrates by being smart by showing that you can get a lot further by swimming with the flow. They get caught, everyone is killed and Yu escapes.

Next we get another jump and we are suddenly in a highschool drama. The world may be destroyed with all the adults killed but the first thing we MUST start up is the school system because that is vital for the survivsl of the human race...uh...sure?

Well, one thing this anime shows is just how resiliant pre-scholers are. Everyone above 13 years old dies but not only do they manage to survive but they also thrive in this post apocalyptic world where literal monsters roam the streats..

Magic is also a thing. No explenation given but suddenly we have magic, demons and demon bound weapons.

I watched the complete first season of 24 episodes and it ends in a ort of cliff hanger. Thinking about it I have no intention of watching any following seasons.

ReviewBonfire Dec 12, 2020

I agree in most of the points. I didnt read the Novel/Manga what ever so i dont know if they explain anything of this stuff later on. But i wouldnt rate this Anime with 3/10 for my part, after everything what i already saw. There are really lot worse anime, compared to them, this one is only medicore