tollie01's avatar

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

Tokyo Ravens

Nov 19, 2019

First some items I need to adress. I'm Dutch to expect some spelling errors, if they are to annoying just message me and I'll fix it.

My opinion may vary from others and this is fine. People are different so there is a good chance that I will not like what you love. Deal with it. I'm not telling you that you should hate it too, I'm telling you why I didn't like it.

I'll try to keep swearing to a minimum but fail utterly on occasion. In general it is the more the anime pisses me off the more I swear so watch out for the low scored ones.

Art: It's a 2014 series so you can expect it to look at least decent and you can expect a certain amount of CGI. It is nothing special and the action looks pretty darn good at times.

Sound: Sound is fine. Voice actors do what they can with what they have been given, which isn't a lot. Music I can no longer remember.

Characters: The main character is Harutora. Although he is from a powerful mystic family he never showed any magical ability. As a child he made a promise to Natsume to become her familiar.

Natsume is a from the main branck of the family and a powerful psychic. Due to some family rules she has to pretend to be a male when going to school. It is pretty clear that she has feelings for Harutora.

Masato is very laid back and a womanizer who doesn't like military strickedness. He joined against the wishes of his father and is part of a very wealthy family.

Touji is Harutora's best friend and joins him when he leaves to the new school. A migical disaster from a few years ago has left him a changed man.

Yakou was the family head during WWII and there he tried a daring ritual. It failed and rocked the spritual world to its core. While he died in the attempt there is a legend that he would return by reincarnating into a new body.

Story. Although from a powerful magical family, Harutora was born with no powers and was discarted because of this. He made his with though and does his best to make something of his life. This changes when he is singled out by powerful psychics who believe him to be a possible candidate to reincarnate Yakou while others wish to know about the ritual. After a friend is brutally murdered he becomes Natsumes' familiar and vows to find her killer. However he quickly learns that in a magical world nothind is ever what it appears.

Rant. The story is pretty straight forward, despite what I wrote about the story. Your protaginist has no power, is attacked, sets out to get revenge and turns out he is not powerless after all. You've seen it all before and most likely much better. This is the biggest problem of the anime. I didn't hate it but you won't see me gushing about it either. Basically it boiled down to: Meh.

It did manage to pull one trigger though and one I hate with a fiery passion. At one point you see the main character being attacked by a powerful psychic. She captures him and has him at her mercy. It is then that she makes her move and forcebly kisses him on the mouth. Right then a female character walks up, sees this, and reacts like someone kicked her beloved puppy.

I trust that in a post #me too era I do not have to explain what sexual assault is. Harutora was helpless and was beset upon by a female character who showed interest where he VERY clearly had none. I hate it when this gets turned around as some kind of betrayel on his part. I do not care if it is played for comedic effect. This isn't funny and I will automatically start deducting points every time it is brought up.