tollie01's avatar

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

Ayakashi

May 12, 2019

First some items I need to adress. I'm Dutch to expect some spelling errors, if they are to annoying just message me and I'll fix it.

My opinion may vary from others and this is fine. People are different so there is a good chance that I will not like what you love. Deal with it. I'm not telling you that you should hate it too, I'm telling you why I didn't like it.

I'll try to keep swearing to a minimum but fail utterly on occasion. In general it is the more the anime pisses me off the more I swear so watch out for the low scored ones.

Art: Art is pretty awful considering it was made in 2008 but it does what it needs to do and that is to show a visual story.

Sound: No real complaints actually, it's pretty ok. Voice actors are good and I don't remember any music either. This is how I generally prefer my anime.

Characters: The main character is Kusaka. A young highschool boy whos dream of becoming a champion of justice has never come true. While he does want to do the right thing he aften turns to look the other way. He makes some money on the side using some special power that he has but this often lands him into trouble.

Hime is one of his childhood friends and she obviously cares for him. Her mission in live is to keep him in line.

Izumi is his other childhood friend and she died 2 years before.

Rei is a transfer student who seems to follow Kusaka around and protects him.

Kare is a mysterious man who is desperately searching for the Ayakashi called Ryuu for reasons that only he knows. Even his closest associates are left in the dark.

Story. After watching snow come down during a hot summer night, things change for Kasuka and his friends. Unknown to them, they are now infected with an Ayakashi. This parasite infects the host and grands it amazing powers but at a price as the Ayakashi slowly consumes the host. Kusaka is infected by a particularly powerful Ayakashi and is trying hard to figure out what is going on and why so many people are hunting him down. Rei, a mysterious young girl, suddenly appears out of nowhere and starts to help him while a man known only as 'Him' stalks him from the shadows.

Rant. This anime sucked. In terms of visuals I was shocked that it was made in 2008 but I was happy to see no overt sign of CGI. It looks hand drawn and if it is....well done. It was done cheaply but hand drawn is still prefable over most CGI garbage that they put out these days.

Main issue I had is that I really didn't like the main character. He starts out as an asshole and doesn't really improve as the series goes on. Side characters are also annoying and as usual; most problems could easily be solved or avoided by simply talking to each other.

I was kind of disappointed near the end though. Monster design was overall pretty good and each Ayakashi is very unique and easily identifiable. The reason for the uniqueness is the fact that every Ayakashi is fairly unique as well as the host determines partly how it will manifest. So at the end many people are infected with an Ayakashi and you see it burst from its host to go on a rampage. Sadly these Ayakashi all look alike or have such minor variations that it doesn't really matter. I would have liked to see them go all out with this part.

If you can get past the main character then you may like it. I couldn't and didn't.