tollie01's avatar

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

Trinity Seven

Jun 3, 2017

Right, it's confession time for me. If you have been reading my reviews than you may have noticed that I tend to rip the anime a new one. There is a reason for this though and it has to do with the fact that I can't turn my brain off when watching anime. I can't ignore the stupid shown in the anime and this is a problem as most anime are very stupid indeed.

In this case I'm not talking about a 90 pound girl catching a multi-ton cruise missile and throwing it back. Yes, it is stupid but it is a stupid that I'll allow. It's anime. Things like this are normal here and I'm pretty much fine with it. It annoys me to be sure but I will not rant about it.

So, having explained this lets rip into this anime shall we? Just a heads up: There will most probably be spoilers. The more I hate an anime the more spoilers there will be.

ART: No complaints from me, the anime looks pretty amazing. Of course with todays' techniques this is very hard to screw up.

SOUND: Again no complaints from me. I can no longer remember any of the music used but this is how I prefer it. Voice acting were decent even if they get to do the same thing over and over.

CHARACTERS: Main character is the Arata. He wants to find his niece and to do that he must become a powerful mage. He is also a big pervert who likes to see girls naked.

STORY:  Arata's life gets turned upside down when a black sun appears in the sky that swallows up everyone in town, including his niece Hijiri. Before he can comprehend what happened he is accosted by Lilith, a powerful mage, who was send to investigate the event. Upon learning from her what happened he decides to enroll into the Royal Biblia Academy ro becomes a powerful mage and save his niece. Once there it is revealed that he is a Demon Lord candidate and once his training is completed he will be extremely powerful. To do this he needs the help of the seven most powerful students in school: the Trinity Seven.

RANT: This anime was better then I expected. Maybe it is because I went in with zero expectations but to be fair there are some good things here.

I actually liked the main character, Arata, and this surprised me. Yes, he is a pervert but this was done very well. It was part of his character but didn't dominate it. He also didn't seek out situations with the girls but these just happened along the way.

What also helped a lot was that the fan service was not over used. It was there but not every 5 seconds as is the norm these days.

There was also an actual story. Again not a given with anime like this these days. Some anime feel that over 90% of tits and ass is the ground rule for making a good story. It is not.

Not all things are good though. I loved the fact that they glossed over the fact that Arata is a mass murderer. It is explained early on that the Breakdown Phenomenon that he can unleash kills ordinairy humans. During the show he has several of such episodes. So to summerise he basically kills everyone in his city and a number of students at the academy. At no time will any attention be given to this fact.

Then there is Iscariot; the organisation that exsists to destroy Arata before he ends the world. Yeah, there is this story about Arata about how he keeps destroying and rebuilding the world again and again. Their mission is to prevent this from happening and break the cycle.

This is fine and adds some drama. I just had some problems with this. The leader is Master Liber, head of the Liber Academy. Now this school was destroyed by Iscariot and....Wait, what?!

Uhm, yeah. The people trying to save the world basically destroyed an entire magic school and killed everyone inside. In fact the head of the school destroyed her own school and at no point is it explained why.

Arata wasn't planning on going there and didn't even know the school even existed untill it was destroyed. If it was a ploy to get him there then then I wonder why because at the time he was an ordinary student and wouldn't have been part of the group that would be send.

The action was also laughable. I loved the fight against Selina, an evil mage. She can take power from people by physical contact so it is very important to not let her close enough to..... Oh, he let her get close. Oh, well. As long as he watches out that for letting her touch him he should still be fi....Oh, he let her touch him and now he lost his powers to her *head desk*