tollie01's avatar

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

Inari Kon Kon

Mar 12, 2017

Right, it's confession time for me. If you have been reading my reviews than you may have noticed that I tend to rip the anime a new one. There is a reason for this though and it has to do with the fact that I can't turn my brain off when watching anime. I can't ignore the stupid shown in the anime and this is a problem as most anime are very stupid indeed.

In this case I'm not talking about a 90 pound girl catching a multi-ton cruise missile and throwing it back. Yes, it is stupid but it is a stupid that I'll allow. It's anime. Things like this are normal here and I'm pretty much fine with it. It annoys me to be sure but I will not rant about it.

So, having explained this lets rip into this anime shall we? Just a heads up: There will most probably be spoilers. The more I hate an anime the more spoilers there will be.

ART: There is no problem with the art but this is pretty hard to mess up these days. The animation does what it is supposed to do and it looks good while doing it. There is quite a bit of CGI used here but it is used well in that it is not invasive.

SOUND: Again no complaints from me. I have watched the anime a few days ago but can no longer remember either the OP or the ED song. This is how I generally prefer it so I'm fine with it. Voice actors did a good job overall.

CHARACTERS: Main character is Inari. She is a young girl who makes friends easy and tries to do the right thing.

Touka is Inari's older brother and, unlike Inari, he has always been able to see Gods. He is very protective of Inari.

Tanbabashi is a classmate of Inari and she has a huge crush on him.

Uka is the local God of the shrine in the city and she becomes best friends with Inari.

STORY: Inari has always had a passion for the local shrine and whenever she can she walks the grounds. One day she saves a small fox and she is introduced to Uka, the God of the shrine. She gives Inari a wish for saving the fox but things go south fast and Inari ends up holding a piece of Uka's divine power. Unfortunately humans aren't meant to have Godlike powers and things have to resolved before calamity strikes.

RANT: I really liked this anime. There is almost no action and not much happens but I still liked it. This anime can best be described as a slice of life comedy/drame with some supernatural elements.

I tried to figure out why I liked it and it came down to characters. Each are likeble in their own way and things progress naturally. Things happen for a reason and that is something that I really appreciate. Too often things just happen because of plot with little reason given but not here.

A little thing that happened a few episodes ago suddenly comes back to throw things out of whack. It also gets fixed quicly but since these are minor problems to begin with I have no issue with this.

The only problem I had was the final episode as it is pointless. Everything gets resolved in the epsiode before that so I started watching the episode wondering what it was about. Some time later episode? Uka and Inari epsiode or maybe Uka and Touka? Well, no.

The final episode takes place sometime during the main series and is a Kon centered episode. Sort of Kon's day out and it doesn't fit. To be fair it wouldn't have fit anywhere in the series but it would have fit better halfway through.

tollie01 Sep 10, 2017

Ah, the episode being an OVA makes a lot of sense.

It really doesn't fit the rest of the story and placing it at the end of the main series is just confusing.

I would have had no problem if they had left it out completely or listed it in the extra's menu of the DVD.

gorzius Sep 10, 2017

Thank you for this review, it really helped me push towards watching the series!

But I'd like to point out that what you refer to as "last episode" is actually an OVA, which was released a half year after the end of the series. :)