tollie01's avatar

tollie01

• Netherlands
  • Joined Jan 16, 2011

Right, it's confession time for me. If you have been reading my reviews than you may have noticed that I tend to rip the anime a new one. There is a reason for this though and it has to do with the fact that I can't turn my brain off when watching anime. I can't ignore the stupid shown in the anime and this is a problem as most anime are very stupid indeed.

In this case I'm not talking about a 90 pound girl catching a multi-ton cruise missile and throwing it back. Yes, it is stupid but it is a stupid that I'll allow. It's anime. Things like this are normal here and I'm pretty much fine with it. It annoys me to be sure but I will not rant about it.

So, having explained this lets rip into this anime shall we? Just a heads up: There will most probably be spoilers. The more I hate an anime the more spoilers there will be.

ART: Although not as good as the movies the overall quality is still higher than most series made at the time. The CGI looks a bit dodgy at times but is still pretty good.

SOUND: Music by Yoko Kanno. When you see this than you know that you are in good hands. She has made the music for countless anime and is considered one of the greatest composers for anime music. Voice acting is excellent as well. I especially liked the voice of Motoko.

CHARACTERS: Main character is Motoko as the field commander of Section 9. With the series spanning 26 episodes there is however plenty of time to work out the other section 9 members. Episodes dealing with backstory about the other members could be considered filling but it never feels that way as you definitely want to know more about them.

STORY: After the events of the first series, Section 9, has been disbanded. With the rise of a new terrorist group called the Individual Eleven the government needs an offensive squad to fight them. Their answer is to reinstate Section 9 and they immediately go back into action. Taking down the Individual Eleven is proving harder than expected though and the team must discover just who it is that drives them before it is to late.

RANT:....I got nothing. I'm sure that there are plotholes and such but I didn't notice them nor did I care.

In terms of story this was by far the weakest yet. There were some interesting characters added to the roster but main focus is the original team. Some of them get their own backstory and I personally love these.

Same with Stand Alone Complex there is a Individual Eleven OVA series which I avoided like the plague for the same reasons as before.