theywalkamongus's avatar

• Portland, OR
  • Joined Apr 18, 2014

Fire Force

Jan 21, 2020

I wanted to hate it, but I just kept coming back. Every time this anime did something to turn me off and it would counter with a new amazing character, personality or power. This anime is by no means a masterpiece but it is an amazing b-movie style animation that doesn't let up.  The animation is great, the characters undeveloped and somethings are never explained.  I also think this anime does not deserve and ECCHI tag. Compared to other titles it is barely scratching the service.  If you are a fan of dumb heroic good heroism, light ecchi and FIRE then this is a great anime to keep you... See full review

Vinland Saga

Jan 12, 2020

A true masterpiece of story, animation and character development. I cannot wait for more episodes.

Megalo Box

Jan 12, 2020

With great animation, an interesting premise and easter eggs to some of the anime greats MEGALO BOX just couldn't keep me hooked. Beautiful to watch but the story is so derivative it becomes a turn off. That being said, that is the point of MEGALO BOX. To me, this anime is a reminder of the power of artistic animation and character design for a younger audience that isn't familiar with the glory days of hand drawn cell animation of the late 1980s-90s.

Lupin III: Jigen's Gravestone

Jan 3, 2020

A great entry into the series with some AMAZING animation. The story was a little lacking in areas but made up for it with a visual feast for the eyeballs. I hope to see more from this great team. If you are a LUPIN fan, this is going to get you HYPED.

Lupin III: Goemon's Blood Spray

Dec 31, 2019

Wow. Just wow. IMO this is what anime should be. Great animation, wonderful stylish character designs with a pulp story to tie it all together.  A great entry into the Lupin saga for old fans and new watchers alike.

8 Man After

Dec 15, 2019

Come for the 90's animation and violence, stay for the pop culture foundation and iconic characters. Robocop would not exist without this franchise.  Who doesn't love a good football stadium fight? COME ON.

7 Seeds

Dec 15, 2019

Waste of time. The story starts interesting but then just fades into tropes and poor storytelling. A trap for new anime fans on Netflix.

Inuyashiki: Last Hero

Sep 9, 2019

If you are a fan of GANTZ creator Hiroya Oku then this a must for you. I really enjoyed this anime, its themes, and its many ups and downs. If you are familiar with Hiroya Oku this anime has his strange, tangental storytelling style. I feel like Hiroya Oku just throw darts at a wall. The biggest downside of this series is the SHIT CGI and very strange ending.

If you dig hyper-violence, robot action, and some existential themes about humanity I say go for it.

Parasyte -the maxim-

Sep 7, 2019

This anime is a breath of fresh air for anyone that is looking for an original, interesting, take on anime and body horror.

Dororo (2019)

Sep 7, 2019

A must watch of 2019. Interesting character design, a great story, and wonderful world-building. Its a little slow at points, but then gives you a breath of fresh air with some monster-of-the-week episodes. Honestly, my favorite part is the animation of the fight scenes.  Lets put it this way, this anime is so good, it gets your invested in a character that can't speak.

Maquia - When the Promised Flower Blooms

Jun 29, 2019

I've never cried this hard to an anime. I watched it on a plane and the women next to me probably thought I was insane.  Great animation, great characters, great music, and amazing character development. There were a few flaws ( weird CGI, useless characters, and strange motivations) but a masterpiece always has its flaws and that's what makes it special. If you are interested in an artful, serious and adult anime that will get you excited about the future of the medium. This is it.

Dallos

May 19, 2019

Nothing much to say here that other reviewers haven't touched on. If you love older anime, particular 70's and 80's anime, this is a must watch. It is a pivotal part of anime history and also two creators careers. The combination of Mamoru Oshii and Hisayuki Toriumi is pretty interesting here.

What I loved most about this series was actually the music and sound effects. Some classic space, vehicle noises, and rock'n 80's jams.

Mezzo

Apr 24, 2019

Nowhere near the original movie. Watch Kite instead. :(

Attack on Titan 3rd Season

Dec 3, 2018

Loved the continuation of the story, all the questions that were answered and Levi's backstory but COME ON. Seems like they are just rushing along. For me, it did not have the dread, distress and edge of the previous two seasons. I was on the edge of my seat.  That being said, the fights scenes between the scout regiment and their hunters is amazing. This anime still is unmatched in certain areas, I just wish they would get the writing and characters back on point.

See full review

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Oct 27, 2018

I entered this series thinking it was going to be an ecchi or harem nightmare but was pleasantly surprised. The world and its surrounding characters are fairly interesting and make up for some of the shows lacking for elements. On the ecchi front, this show is not lacking. I always appreciate a series that peppers in ecchi elements and does not sacrifice story for jiggling boobs.  That being said, the main female character can become very annoying.  In short, a great series to crush on a flight or a short train ride if you're looking from light-hearted ecchi fantasy fun. Great animation, decent... See full review

Iria: Zeiram The Animation

Oct 27, 2018

Interesting character designs, vehicles designs, and unique settings can't save this anime. I started this series thrilled at Iria's character design but bad writing, worse english dub, predictable characters ruined it for me. Worth a watch for some 90's nostalgia but I would save your viewing time with something richer.

Mary and the Witch's Flower

Oct 1, 2018

An amazing looking animation with a lack-luster and derivative story arch. This film is so beautiful its craft makes up for its poor writing. Great for a lazy Sunday or a watching with friends.

Devilman: Crybaby

Jul 7, 2018

This series is a feast for the senses. If your looking for a confusing FLCL like experience this is the anime for you.  This series is more of a champion of innovative style and conceptual animation then amazing story.

The Boy and the Beast

Jul 7, 2018

Great animation, great soundtrack, great voice acting. Predictable story. Really wish it would have ended differently. That being said, would own and watch again.

My First Girlfriend is a Gal

Dec 29, 2017

Great animation, character design but a terrible story and AWFUL characters. The first episode pulls you in but after that, there is nothing to keep you. No character development, lame story and really dumb ecchi moments.  A stain on the ecchi genre.

Galaxy Express 999 Movie

Oct 2, 2017

Great story, amazing animation, and some very well developed and compelling characters. I watched the dubbed (I know, I know. It was late) and felt the English original song was pretty terrible. My only struggle was the length. Went on forever! But, can't complain too much. Held my attention the whole time.

Ajin: Demi-Human

Apr 15, 2017

Great premise, awesome art direction, and interesting characters but something about the animation kept me from committing all the way. The first season is much better than the first.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Oct 11, 2016

I found this series fairly predictable, but the character design, animation and world building was pretty top notch. Its only a 12 episodes long, so just blast through it an enjoy some great creatures and gore. Good b-movie fun.

Lupin III: Green vs Red

Sep 29, 2014

An interesting anime with an interesting premise, but falls a little flat on the delivery. I got lost in all of the "imposters" many times and had to read the wiki page to get back on track. Besides the plot pitfalls, Green vs Red is a greating looking anime with great animation and sound If you are a big Lupin the Third fan, definately give this a watch. If not, I would hunt for the more pivotal Lupin films.

6.5/10 story