thetickdickler's avatar

• Joined Jan 29, 2019
  • 30

Training with Hinako

Aug 12, 2019

In "Training with Hinako", Hinako was once a person, but somehow, she gets sucked into the TV and gets turned into an anime character. After noticing you watching her, she is surprised since she hasn't seen an actual person in a while. So she decides to interact with you, by calling you pudgy and saying that doing some training could help the both of you.

Sitting through this, I didn't expect it to have some actual plot. I was expecting the anime to pretend that you were friends with the cute girl who would like someone to train with because she secretly has a crush on you as well as you having a crush on her, or it being a training video with the trainer being something to look at while you're using this as the laziest exercise video in existence. Instead, Training with Hinako has this weird meta story to explain it's existence. I guess it's something different, which is nice.

After the first few minutes of introducing the character and the exercises that she, and what your supposed to do along with her if you're not just being lazy, will be doing the rest of the OVA. It also features Hinako wearing different clothing throughout the OVA, but all of them are worn very briefly (bah-dum-tish), and it doesn't actually show her changing it and out any of the clothing presumably because that would have been time consuming and would have gone over the meager budget, it will just cut to her wearing something different in the same shot.

The fact that there is more than one set of clothing is a minor miracle, because I wasn't expecting her to appearing anything else to begin with. Also, in between the exercising, the OVA is broken up by joke credits, featuring scenes from a magical girl series featuring Hinako that doesn't exist. That's probably due to the fact that the DVD has some minor interactivity, allowing the viewer to rearrange scenes.

Would I recommend "Training with Hinako"? Yeah. It's cute, but not annoyingly cute. Sure, it's not wank material, but I expect it to appeal to someone. It might not have the variety or quality of something like (Makura no Danshi ENG: Pillow Boys), but it's remarkably well put together for what it is, and seems to be earnestly trying to be enjoyable. It's not going to be for everyone, but I imagine someone getting something out of it.