Disclaimer: I only use this account to keep track of my Anime List now. I'm hardly on here now because I've moved to my own dedicated blog, and generally people don't really chat to me on here nowadays. Therefore, it's unlikely I'll get back to you any time soon. Sorry!
That being said, I'm leaving my bio, reviews and all other content on here as they were, solely to keep as an archive of my previous work and what not. So feel free to give them a read or whatever for your own amusement.
Currently watching: Lostorage Incited WIXOSS, Mob Psycho 100
Currently missing: Hunter x Hunter, World Trigger
Currently reading (Manga): Berserk, Tsubasa Chronicle (Collecting the volumes very slowly), Attack on Titan
Best show that is currently airing: Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
General Statistics About Myself:
Name: TheCrimsonClaw, Crimson
Birthday: 14th August
Hair Colour: Blonde
Eye Colour: Blue
Location: Glasgow, in the most amazing little house someone could ask for :D
Relationship Status: Taken by the most amazing girl in the world <3 Love her to bits <3
Nen Type: Transmuter, because Killua.
Chakra Element: Lightning because it's funky and looks the coolest.
Dying Will Flame: Cloud because I'm a drifter.
Devil Fruit: Op-Op Fruit because it's weird and quirky and I think it's awesome.
World Trigger Weapon: Primary Trigger: Kogetsu, Optional Trigger: Grasshopper.
Jojo Stand: The World because stopping time and screaming 'THE WORRRRRLD!' at the top of your lungs is epic.
Pokemon: Cyndaquil because its so awesome!
Digimon: Skull Greymon because... I like how he wrecks everything and can't be controlled.
Duel Monsters Deck: Zombie/Vampire Deck because constant resurrection tactics are awesome!
All about me:
I'm just your average guy who loves anime and video games.
My favourite Mangaka is Yoshiro Togashi, he's a genius. My other favourites are CLAMP, Kentaro Miura, Akira Amano, Hirohiko Araki, Daisuke Ashihara and Katsura Hoshino. As you can tell, I have a thing for Mangaka's who go on constant hiatus' or cancel their series.
My favourite animation studios are Production I.G, Gainax and Madhouse.
My Favourite Anime:
My favourite written/drawn Japanese works are:
1. Utsuro No Hako (Light Novel) [One of the smartest and most compelling works I've ever read. Looking forward to the eventual epilogue]
2. Gekkou (Light Novel) [Also very smart and compelling, with a fantastic protagonist I could strongly relate to]
3. Tsubasa (Manga) [The best Manga I've read, and miles ahead of the Anime. Plus, it's complete]
4. Hunter x Hunter (Manga) [It has the greatest story amongst all Manga I've read, however, the lazy art and hiatus' prevent it from being number 1 here. Also, the Anime is far superior in every single way. Still the best Shounen of all time]
5. Parasyte (Manga) [One of the first Manga's I ever read way back when I was young. My first Seinen series, filled with amazing writing, character development and gory as hell stuff. A true masterpiece of a Manga]
My top 5 Male Anime characters:
1. Killua Zoldyck (Hunter x Hunter)
2. Fai D. Flourite (Tsubasa)
3. Tsunayoushi Sawada (Hitman Reborn)
4. Jin Yuichi (World Trigger)
5. Yang Wenli (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)
My top 5 Female Anime Characters:
1. Asuna Yuuki (Sword Art Online)
2. Lucy Heartfillia (Fairy Tail)
3. Akira Aoi (WIXOSS)
4. Rei (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
5. Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki)
My top 5 Anime Villains:
1. Meruem (Hunter x Hunter)
2. Seishirou Sakurazuka (Tokyo Babylon/X/Tsubasa)
3. Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter)
4. Griffith/Femto (Berserk)
5. Byakuran (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)
My top 5 Anime Soundtracks:
1. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (Beautiful stuff)
2. Hunter x Hunter (2011) (Epic stuff)
3. Sword Art Online (Epic stuff done by the same artist who did Tsubasa's OST)
4. Dragon Ball Z (The english soundtrack, not the shitty Japanese one)
5. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Beautiful epic space opera stuff)
1st Anime: Dragon Ball Z
5th Anime: Death Note
10th Anime: Tsubasa Chronicle
50th Anime: Monster
100th Anime: Eden of the East
150th Anime: Deadman Wonderland
200th Anime: Berserk Movie III: Descent
250th Anime: Selector Spread WIXOSS
300th Anime: Erased
My Top 5 Japanese Role Playing Games/Series:
1. Tales of Series (Mostly Symphonia)
2. Earthbound Series (Mother Series)
3. Shin Megami Tensei Series
4. Dark Chronicle
5. Kingdom Hearts Series
My Top 5 Non-Japanese Role Playing Games/Series:
1. The Legend of Zelda Series
2. Super Mario Series (Specifically Super Mario World)
3. Mega Man Series (Preferably the Classic Series, but X and Zero are still great)
4. Legacy of Kain Series
5. Banjo Kazooie
More things about me:
I used to write reviews on here often, but I've now moved to a Wordpress blog. Feel free to ask me for the link. I'm not posting it here because I don't want flamers I've attracted on here going to my blog and giving me shit.
As a result of moving to Wordpress, my style of writing and approach to critical thinking has changed an awful lot from my content on here. I now approach things with a less amateurish mindset and no longer focus on just basic reviewing. I prefer to write analysis posts and other Anime related content, although reviews are still something I'm keen on doing. Due to my writing style changing, I also tend to avoid excessive cursing (such as that in my Erased review) because it's just not professional and makes me look like a moron. I'v changed my ways and I'm less of an asshole than I was before.
My first Anime was "Dragon Ball Z", which I often watched on Cartoon Network as a kid. Afterwards, I discovered "Naruto" several years later, and I began to truly dive into the Anime world. My first proper Anime that wasn't one of the big fighting Shounen series was "Tsubasa", which I completely fell in love with and remained my top Anime for many years.
I have a girlfriend who I've been in a relationship with for 7 years. I love her to bits <3 She's my entire world and I wouldn't be the person I am today if she wasn't here <3 I don't know what I'd do without her in my life <3
We have a cat named Belle. We call her Babybell. She's adorable <3
For a long time I was a dub purist, who would only watch dubbed Anime. However, I now watch subtitled shows. Despite this, I still prefer to watch a dub if one exists, unless it's shitty.
I have a strong dislike towards "elitist" anime fans who feel the need to bash everyone who doesn't fit with their "superior" taste. At the end of the day, we're all watching Japanese Animation that is made for entertainment and for monetary gain. It's silly to insult people and have heated arguments and flame wars over what is essentially nothing more than a consumer product made to make mountains of cash. It's Anime and people can enjoy what they want. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
I do not like the phrase "Otaku" as I feel it is an unnecessary and misguided label. We are not "special", we are not "outcasts", we are just normal people like ervyone else who just happen to like Anime. We are not a subculture or anything of the sort, and I find it silly that a lot of the community feel otherwise.
I also cannot stand Weeaboos. I get that people like Japan a lot, but seriously, you shouldn't love and worship an entire country solely because you like Anime.
I am willing to accept the tastes of others. I do not belittle people for liking a show I didn't like or hating a show I thought was the greatest thing ever. However, I do like to discuss opinions, and I am willing to engage in healthy and clean discussion with those who reject my taste.
I believe everyone is entitled to enjoy what they enjoy and no one else should have the right to tell them otherwise. While my reviews do come across as preachy at times (my "Free!" review especially), I do not believe in swaying people or forcing people to dislike or like something. I simply like to share my opinion with others and enjoy writing reviews. People should enjoy what they enjoy, even if I, or anyone else, finds it bad. One persons shit is another persons masterpiece, and that's fine.
I will never emotionally get over the fact that the "Hunter x Hunter" Anime has ended. That Anime single-handedly changed me and my outlook on a lot of things in my life and I miss it terribly.
I play video games a lot, I like JRPG's the most. Outside of that, I also really enjoy games by Nintendo. I am a firm believer that they still make some of the best games of our time.
I don't read Manga very often, and I always prefer Anime over it. Something about stuff moving just makes it more engaging to watch. However, if a title interests me enough and the Anime ends prematurely, then I will often go read the Manga.
I read Light Novels. Outside of those, I read Horror and Fantasy novels. Darren Shan remains my favourite author to this day. I also really like David Eddings and other Fantasy writers, such as Robert Jordan.
I used to make AMV's long ago. Nowadays I don't have time, but I'd love to go back to it sometime.
I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and have been since I was 3 years old, but I love all of the systems, and play them all. Except PC, because I find little appeal in spending 10 times the money for a machine that still doesn't get all the console exclusive games I consider to be the best games out there. Nothing on PC can measure up to the best Nintendo games. The "PC Master Race" can kindly go and fuck itself.
I work as a Functionality Tester for video games. Before that, I studied Games Design at University for four years. My lifelong dream is to become a Games Designer. Yes, a grown man can still dream! :P
I also enjoy ROM Hacking, and have hacked several retro games, although I've never finished a hack.
I collect figures, I have about 20 or so at the moment. My favourite would have to be my Killua Zoldyck and Asuna Yuuki figures <3 They're so pretty! Perhaps I'll upload my collection sometime!
I actually buy my anime, as opposed to downloading it illegally. I only download shows that aren't released here on DVD, mostly subtitled shows. Once they are released here however, I buy them.
I am a big fan of Metal music with my favourite band being Coheed and Cambria.
I often play Anime Opening and Ending themes as I drive or when taking the bus to work.
I suffer from high levels of lethargy. As a result I'm sleepy far more often than I should be despite always getting plenty of sleep. *yawn*
I hate when things aren't kept neat. I wouldn't call it OCD, but it's close.
I enjoy cursing. Far more than a grown man should.
Want to know more? Comment here or add me on the following:
PSN: TheCrimsonClaw [Play J Stars Victory Vs on PS4 with me. You'll get rekt though.]
Nintendo Network: TheCrimsonClaw [Play Smash Bros and Splatoon with me. I'll probably lose.]
Steam: TheCrimsonClaw [I barely use this because PC gaming sucks, but if you're up for a game of Brawlhalla hit me up!]
Xbox Live: TheChronosCat [Never use this. Ever. I don't even pay for it any more.]
Skype: TheChronosCat [Rarely use this. Only on special occasions or for podcasts (which I don't really do because my voice is awful)]
Runescape Kirito-Kun [Yes, I managed to get that name on a popular MMO. No, I don't play any more, I've quit permanently. But if you want to check out my insanely sad playtime and stats, you're welcome to do so!]
YouTube: TheChronosCat [I used to do Lets Plays on here, but due to negative feedback and a lack of motivation, I stopped. Still, if you want to see a fine example of how not to do a Lets Play or want to watch me fail at some retro games, be my guest!]
Wordpress: Ask me for it.
About my watching:
- I rarely watch more than three shows at a time. This is because I dislike piling up multiple stories and having to take in all their separate information at once, as I tend to get a rather muddled up head when trying to take in multiple things from multiple shows. I usually try to keep it to three shows at once, although under specific circumstances, I will go over this.
- I hardly ever watch ongoing shows, and if I do, I wait until they are nearly finished. The exceptions to this are very long shows or shows with multiple seasons where I have seen the previous seasons (like Jojo).
- I never drop shows because dropping shows is for the weak. It's torturous sometimes, but I feel everything deserves a chance, even if I need to sit through 12 episodes of complete garbage. No drop master race!
- I stall Anime quite often, normally long shows because I prefer to take them in slowly an arc at a time. I also tend to stall comedy, sports and series from big franchises as I usually need to be in a specific mood to watch them.
About my approach to critical thinking and analysis:
- I do not believe in objectivity when it comes to the quality of media or art. It's not a thing. There is no such thing as an "objectively good" series, movie or anime because everyone has their own perspective on what is "good". Everything is subjective. My reviews are based heavily on my own opinions and do not approach things objectively as a result. You cannot review objectively.
- As a result, I can't stand it when people claim I'm being "biased" in my writing. No shit. Bias is inherent. You can't avoid being biased in reviewing or when analysing something. Your opinions will always become a part of any analysis you write, no matter how hard you try to approach it objectively.
- I am a firm believer that a well written story, and great cast of characters are the most important elements of any good show, and that animation and sound are always secondary. However, I do believe that there are some cases where visuals and directing can enhance a poorly written show and make it not complete garbage.
- I believe that hype is a very bad thing and that it can often cause disappointment.
- I believe that consensus hate is also a bad thing and that it can often influence other peoples opinions before going into a show.
- I can be a fairly harsh critic when it comes to reviewing things, and tend to curse and show frustration often in my writing as a result. Don't take it personally, it's how I like to write and I enjoy cursing. It's a good way to vent.
- Despite what people say, a 6 and above is a positive score.
- In my eyes, a show that is a 10/10 is not something that does not have any flaws. Rather, it is a show that does the "most good things" or has the "most amazing moments" that make you really awestruck and rock you to your core. To provide an example, I consider Tsubasa Chronicle to be a 10/10, despite it having several animation problems and having an incomplete ending. But the show does so many amazing things with its character interactions and has such amazing theme exploration, that it's a solid 10 for me.