spookysoup's avatar

• Australia
  • Joined Jan 26, 2014

Kids on the Slope

Sep 8, 2015

I'm gonna try and record my thoughts while they're still fresh in my mind-- I just finished marathoning the series after having some interest in it for quite a while. I rated Sakamichi no Apollon around a 3.5 in my star rating and here's why, without spoiling too much of what happens, though do read at your own discretion, as it does spoil things about the story even if its not exactly what happens.

The tonality, time setting, and the music is fantastic, and I had a lot of fun with it. Though not outstanding, the little flickers of how the love for jazz amongst characters is represented in the relationships the characters have with each other is heartwarming. I relate to this a lot, mainly because I always love sharing and playing music amongst my friends and loved ones. One of many cherished pastimes, and I believe this to be one of the series strengths, though minimal it was still nice to have.

However, as an audience, aside from the music and friendships portrayed, we are taken on a bit of a broken-down emotional rollercoaster in one form or another. Once I reached the end of the series the only thought I had was "Is that it? Was that really all worth it?"

To be harshly put, some of the things that happened between characters almost seemed useless because they were either never wrapped up or seemed just slathered in there to have some form of scandal. Take it away theres not really too much of a plot; theres parts but not much to have a series built on. A lot of other plot points that were built up were never really tied up either, adding to the uselessness of some of it. It wasn't too satisfying, and though to my own tastes and interpretation, a lot of the drama I found cringe-worthy and oddly cliché.

I genuinely love the main characters, and I cherish the relationship they have with one another, but the character development is rocky. Characters will make progress, but then do something and take a few steps back again, doing this more than one or twice. Tied in with odd story choices that don't really influence the end too much adds to my unsatisfied viewing experience. The ending is bittersweet, but confusing.

But, all technicalities aside; I do believe in this series and the potential it has, and I love the charm of it. Though a part from the music and some of the moments the friends have together when performing, there's nothing really too memorable about it, and I'm not sure if I'd ever watch it again or recommend it a lot. It is, in the end, up to any of those reading this if its worth watching it or not. I definitely would say it is to an extent if you love music and performing with your friends, and you think about the good old days more than once. It definitely took me back there.

6.5/10 characters

crazykazoo Mar 31, 2022

I think this is jsut a realistic kind of show.

all these emotions are part of it.

for example when you wrote "Characters will make progress, but then do something and take a few steps back again, doing this more than one or twice.", this is simply how humans work, in my opinion this just makes the characters more believable and even relatable perhaps.

In the end I think everyone thoght "Is that it? Was that really all worth it?" but that is part of it's charm, nothing in life is a perfect story that has a perfect ending.

"a lot of the drama I found cringe-worthy and oddly cliché." well.. kinda true but I think like half of these cringe worthy interactions I've had myself and since the setting seems like it is old (I think it was in like 1966) some of these cliche moments weren't really cliche yet.

"unsatisfied viewing experience.", it may just be me, but I think that art is not meant to be enjoyed, when I say enjoy I mean momentary good feelings. Don't you love sad stories? don't you love these unsatisfying endings?

Anyways, just rewatch the show, I'm sure you'll love it now maybe.

rolotony97 Aug 31, 2021

This review is crazy accurate. I am astonished by the high ratings this show is receiving. Definitely not a bad show, but I agree with basically every point you made. So happy to see I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Samurai Oct 1, 2020

I disagree but I respect your feelings on the show. I can understand why what happened in the story would annoy you but I think it served its purpose of capturing the real world. There isn't always a happy ending, but more often than not there just straight up isn't an ending. That's for the people living those events to decide. As humans, when things happen to us moving on becomes a matter of how much it effected us and when we feel ready to put it behind us. When we've grown enough to make peace and come back to those things with a new outlook.

In the heat of the moment they all made drastic decisions and pride paired with stubborness made them unable to turn back. They continued on living their lives and baring with it until they had accepted everything and felt ready to look back. Given the opportunity to revisit each others lives they took it with that peace of mind. They forgave each other because everything that happened seemed unimportant compared to seeing each other again.

Noriko Sep 17, 2015