skaidire's avatar

• Joined Aug 27, 2020
  • 22

Death Note

May 23, 2022

I finally watched the number one most recommended anime I've gotten. Both family and friends told me watch it, and the randomizer finally told me to. Death Note ! People were shocked to hear I haven't watched it yet, and I understand now. I always like a good mystery, Monster had a very similar "edge-of-your-seat" feeling, and that was one of my favorites. But I'd say I like Death Note even more than Monster because there was hardly any time I ever felt bored watching Death Note. Truthfully, I watched it all in 3 days, I couldn't stop.

The overly dramatic camera angles and framimg felt funny at first, but I grew to really like that. They understand the intended use of this anime, and they go all in, I like that. If I want to watch a drama, it better be dramatic as hell, and it was. I love the aesthetics, fashion, and interior design so much. It aligns very closely to my own aesthetic, for one. But even if it's not something you personally like, the attention to detail in a lot of the interior scenes is really nice and a sign that a lot of love was put into the animation. I don't personally like the intro songs. Especially the second one which sounds like it's filled slurs. I hope it was just an unfortunate accident, but it sounds so clearly awful. The other music was fine though, nothing too special, but nothing really wrong with it either. Overall, it has to be in my top 10, if not top 5. I love the early 2000s setting , with the flip phones, so cute. I wish Misa had a better character development in the second half. I was also left with a lot of questions about L. But one thing I absolutely loved, was the ending, so satisfying.

TLDR : I really enjoyed Death Note. The drama is good. Music is mid. Ending is top tier. Art is my fav.