senshikoi's avatar

senshikoi

• Heswall (Wirral), UK
  • Joined Nov 3, 2009

So "You Can (Not) Redo" eh? I feel like you're trying to confess something to us Anno; if this is your confession, then yes, I have to agree with you... "You Can (Not) Redo"!

After the last Rebuild movie, I thought things might be proceeding on the right track, but this movie shattered that illusion; I have to wonder if Hideaki Anno has a fortune teller machine, to which he continually asks the following question, "Should I wreck Evangelion yet?"

I'm not normally a guy for reviews; I'm usually too accepting of things, as someone will say something is trash, and I will say "I didn't mind it actually", but Evangelion 3.33... I think I can review it, and along the way, I feel I may throw in my two pence on other bits of Evangelion too!

Synopsis:

We start in space, Asuka and Mari have been tasked with a mission to recover a vessel holding EVA Unit-01, and any possible inhabitants; the two are met by resistance from enemy combatants, which they promptly defeat; just when they're about to recover the vessel, a new enemy appears, from a compartment on the vessel itself; out of ammo, Mari withdraws, and Asuka finds herself in danger gripping onto the vessel as it twists and turns in the Earth's upper atmosphere; Asuka calls out for assistance from (Idiot) Shinji, and a beam shoots out of the vessel, destroying the enemy.

We now cut to Shinji waking up and being hastily transported to the bridge; on the way to the bridge, a girl asks Shinji various questions to assertain his current state; at the bridge Shinji is met with hostility, even by people he knows; Shinji is not provided with any answers to his questions, the main one being "where's Rei?"

Watching this movie blind is not a good idea; I technically didn't watch it blind, but it had been some time since I watched Evangelion 2.22, so I was pretty much in the dark as to what was happening; ironically enough, you could say this put me in Shinji's shoes, I didn't know 14 years had passed, or why everyone was so eremitic towards Shinji - I could have read the synopsis on the back of the DVD/Blu-Ray cover, but reading the back of DVD/Blu-Ray covers ruins the experience.

After watching this movie, I did re-watch the previous movie again, which has now resulted with me listening to Utada Hikaru - Beautiful World on repeat ever since; I have to wonder if I understood the ramifications of Third Impact/Near Third Impact from the last movie, as I can only remember thinking "what a good movie!", not "damn Shinji, think what you're doing here!!" - it takes until halfway through the movie (might not be halfway, but I'm judging it based on the placement of the "eyecatch") for this to be touched upon.

It seems that the movie has received quite a bit of a revision since what was featured in the preview at the end of the last movie, and what features in the movie itself; it's possible in the original concept for this movie, there was no timeskip, and there were some ups with the downs, given the content eyepatch Asuka in the previews, compared to the discontent one we get in the movie.

As none of the scenes from the prevew at the end of the last movie actually featured in the actual movie, this may be reason why the preview for the next movie was just a battle scene; watching Evangelion 2.22, I noticed some differences between it, and the current movie; in 2.22, Shinji states that he doesn't care what happens to the world, as long as he saves Rei, but in 3.33, he's distraught over what happened to the world, but then this could be due to this happening, and him still not saving Rei - Idiot Shinji... oh god, I've turning into a half-German tsundere.

Re-watching Evangelion 2.22, did lead me also re-watch Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion, and... I survived - I think there must be a medal out there for watching four Evangelion movies and still being alive after the experience.

Re-watching Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion reminded me of what a trainwreck it all was:

• Death was a disorganised clipshow, with some battles broken up and re-grouped into one of three main acts, each corresponding to one of the three protagonists;
  • Rebirth was incomplete, with only twenty minutes of its story completed before deadline day;
  • End of Evangelion was essentially a completed version of Rebirth, repeating the previously seen twenty minutes, and then goes on to continue the story.

The concept of Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion is fine, but the execution of it all is the problem; this can also be said for the ending of the series itself, with episodes 25 and 26 coming out of "nowhere"; Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion fill in the gaps, but they themselves bring their own problems; for the best viewing experience, I wish I had bought Revival of Evangelion, as apparently that does away with the incomplete Rebirth!

Back to Evangelion 3.33, unless it's a different room, Shinji doesn't acknowledge waking up in "that room", it looks pretty similar to me; the plug suits are pretty poorly designed this time round, or actually I think it's just Asuka's, it looks like it's being held together with different colours of sticky tape, which have been strategically placed to  mirror the colours of the plug suit they have been taped to; whilst not stated, it appears NERV are the ones that put EVA Unit-01 into space, as it looks like there is a NERV logo on the vessel that EVA Unit-01 is in.

Score: 4/10

Animation:

Short and sweet - it looked good, didn't see anything wrong with it, looked more polished than in previous entries, which ironically took away from the Evangelion/Gainax feels, although the Gainaxing with Mari did bring the Gainax feels back for a different reason; in addition, I was disatisfied with the first encounter between EVA Unit-08 and 09, as Mari destroys the head, it cuts to EVA Unit-08 running, cuts back to EVA Unit 09, which has regenerated its head, now with a bit of a boost, or make that four boosts... rocket boosts - I would have liked for the regeneration to be seen as well, as it feels incomplete to me the way it is.

Score: 8/10

Sound:

Either there was a lack of sound in this movie or the DVD/Blu-Ray has been configured for 5.1/6.1 systems, with the soundtrack being on the 3.1/4.1 parts of the output, that is lost when you only have 2.0; it seemed the music was quieter, occasionally I felt I could hear a familiar melody here and there; maybe due to the events in this being completely original, the music didn't invoke the same Evangelion feels as the previous movie, but mostly I think it was just a lack of sound - that said, bits of the soundtrack have been continually playing in my head, so I thought I would bump up the score, but it's already on the score I was going to bump it up to, so I'll leave it as is.

Score: 5/10

Only discussing new or changed characters (compared to previous movies, or continuity), and will be going in order of appearance:

Mari Illustrious Nakanami - eccentric pilot of EVA Unit-08; she sings when she's working, much to the annoyance to Asuka, and has pet names for Shinji and Asuka, whilst the latter even has a pet name for Mari; first introduced in the previous movie, she is still an interesting character.

Mari

Sakura Suzuhara - Toji's younger sister, now older than Shinji due to the EVA's curse -I will discuss this later-, part of the medical staff of WILL-E, and a second lieutenant; Sakura seems like the new heart of Evangelion, as she shows a level of forgiveness towards Shinji -I will discuss the previous heart later-, but you can see she still does have some resentment towards him.

Sakura and Midori

Midori Kitakami - one of the bridge operators for WILL-E; I love her voice (only listened to the original Japanese version - even though the dub of the original series is so ingrained in my head, due to the fact that there was always a trailer for Evangelion on every ADV DVD, I couldn't bring myself to watch the dub), and her lines, "Wait, is that one of my jobs?" followed by "No way!", when told it is.

Misato Katsuragi - the captain of the Wunder, an airship that is powered by an EVA Unit; since the last movie it seems she has been training to be a Jedi jerk, under the tutelage of Jedi Jerk Master Obi-Gendou Ikari, but left before her Jedi jerk training was complete, as it is shown she still does care, somewhat, maybe slightly, for Shinji.

Misato

Maya Ibuki - formerly a bridge operator for NERV, now the chief engineer aboard the Wunder; since the last movie, it seems that Maya has become pretty hardhearted, she is no longer the heart of Evangelion due to the horror she witnessed previously (and I include the other continuity), which, in this respect, you could think of Maya as being a proxy for the audience.

Maya

Everyone else I don't see as changing that much, or didn't have enough screen time for me to pay enough attention to, however the score will be in regards to all characters, not just the ones discussed above.

I do feel that by including Sakura more into the fray, it would have been an idea to expland her role in previous movies, such as have her and Shinji form a bond, as it would have been an interesting dynamic to pick up with now; one of the first things I learnt about Midori, was her lips, as there was a picture I saw with the title of something like "bridge bunny with the big lips".

Learning about Sakura and Midori was actually what started my interest in watching this movie; I was curious who these characters were, as they appeared to be new characters.

Score: 6/10

Overall:

As mentioned at the start of the review, I feel that the previous movie showed so much promise, but this movie has thrown that out the window; I feel it would have been better if it hadn't timeskipped, and picked up directly from the end of the last movie - it would have been nice to see the things that were mentioned in the preview for this movie actually... occur; explanations coming in quicker might have been appreciated, such as finding out about the 14 year timeskip, or why people are eremitic towards Shinji.

I will be watching the last movie, when it is released, but I do not have much hope for it, well, unless it does that which Shinji was hoping to achieve, when he ended up instead nearly bringing about Third Impact; restoring the world, however the manga has covered that route, so they may choose not to follow that route.

I think I might consider focusing more attention on the spin-off Evangelion manga, such as Angelic Days, Campus Apocalypse, Shinji Ikari Raising Project and Shinji Ikari Detective Diary - Evangelion stories that might be a bit happier than the actual story.

Just read through Campus Apocalypse... and it's not much happier... that said, I can't even remember how it ended now; I thought initially it started well, or interestingly at least; I would have liked to see Maya teaching maths, rather than just being told about it -I have to wonder if she looks similar to the ANIMA manga/light novel (whatever it is), sporting a pair of glasses-; it does feature the NERV technicians, Satsuki, Kaede and Aoi in nuns' habits.

Satsuki, Kaede and Aoi

Score: 5/10

Final thoughts:

It seems there are a couple of changes between the Rebuild continuity, and the previous continuity/continuities:

• Ikari was Yui's surname in the original continuity, and Gendou took her name in marriage, but in this continuity, Ikari is Gendou's surname, whilst Yui's surname is Ayanami;
  • Yui interfaces with an EVA's core directly, and is absorbed into it in this continuity, whilst in the previous continuity it was an accident, or sacrifice, whilst in the plug capsule - I have to say I do like the symbolism of this event in Rebuild.

CoreExp

Initially I was against the "EVA's curse", halting a pilot's aging, as I thought it was something the pilots agreed to, which is something that happens in some anime, but I've accepted it somewhat, knowing it's an "actual" curse; does make me wonder now thought, who is Mari actually referring to when she states to Rei II that her original was easier to get along with?

I originally thought it would be Rei I, but she may in fact be referring to Yui, especially as she puts the "-kun" honorific after Gendou, but that could be her eccentricity; in the manga, there is scenes of Yui, Kyoko and Mari at school, but it has been stated this is just "fanservice"!

Finally, unrelated, but looking into things, I stumbled across art for all three of the Horaki sisters; whilst Hikari has featured as part of both the previous and current continuities, Kodama and Nozomi have not; it's interesting to see artwork for them, but it does make me want to see them make an appearance somewhere... perhaps some spin-off manga in the future, chronicling happier days, maybe one of an EVA and Angel free world!

Horaki sisters

It seems that the pieces regarding the Horaki sisters is falling into place; when I originally included the image of the sisters, I had no idea what any of this image is about... I still mostly have no idea, but I believe it relates to the anime series Shinkalion, a series which decides to give a big send up to Evangelion with its thirty-first episode.

Episode 31 sees the return of familiar seiyuu and music, an amalgamated Angel, Gendou-ism, and the animated debut of Hikari's sisters, all voiced by the same seiyuu as Hikari, Junko Iwao, which works surprisingly well, as she manages to find different voices for all three characters.

Shinkalion

The episode ends whether what happened was all just a dream, or if the protagonist found himself in an alternate universe; the protagonist wakes up after appearing to have suffered a heatstroke, but he still has the pictures he took on his camera from the other world, which includes one of Hikari.

Right, so with that, this review is officially over, I will now proceed to re-watch RahXephon, a story of mecha pilot saves the world whilst fighting Evangelion-type monster of the week, done right, to clense myself of Evangelion.

RahXephon

Images come from my photobucket and cubeupload accounts; photobucket keep adding restrictions on free accounts, so you'll start to see more of the images uploaded through my cubeupload, rather than photobucket.

However uploading aside, the images came originally from the following websites; evageeks, Evangelion wikia, tumblr and Fandom wikia.