samie's avatar

samie

• Joined May 2, 2011

Dimension High School

Mar 14, 2019

Now... I probably don't have a right to write this review, as I only managed to get through the first episode. However, the purpose of this review is to inform other like minded individuals that it was that bad. I had originally taken interest in this program because I was curious to see the human characters turn in to animated ones, and kind of defy the rules of the real world, and maybe experience the animated world as only someone from the human world would...if that makes sense.  I thought it would be cool to see these reality turned animated characters then go on adventures/ adjust to the animated world while battling animated foes. HOWEVER this does not quite seem to be what the show is about.

STORY:

The Overview anime planet has should read

One day, on his way to high school, student Junpei picks up a rock. Thinking nothing of it, he heads to a study group. While in the middle of a session, the rock comes to life and transports him and four others to an underwhelming CGI world! To make matters even more uninteresting, the group is introduced to a giant CGI sphinx who seems to have taken over the CGI world, except for one pristine classroom (*where the characters will do all of their animated solving)! Now, to protect their world from invasion, the group must work together by solving meaningless riddles as CGI characters and real-world humans!

*however I've only seen the first episode, so perhaps the animated world expands outside of this classroom in episode 2. I don't know, but I don't plan on waisting my time to find out ( as harsh as that seems, i'm really trying to save others from having to sit through that).

~Spoiler alert~

After discovering the rock is sentient, the group of teens get transported to a CGI world, they are locked in one animated room, with no one else present. A giant CGI sphinx ( of all things??) pops through the wall and forces them to solve riddles, or suffer the consequences -pseudo death. When returned to the real world, they find that although those who were killed survive, they lose something most important to them after they die in the CGI world. This really isn't as interesting as it maaaay seem ( if this seems interesting at all, just know whatever you're imagining is probably a stretch.) and that is the entiiiiire first episode. Save yourself.

ANIMATION: Come on. This was made in 2018, and I feel like the animation in 90's anime is better. Their hands go through their bodies. Although they're self aware of this, they seem to try to make it something cool, but in reality, it just looks like bad animation. Of course this is my subjective opinion.

SOUND: Meh, it comes across. Nothing briliant

CHARACTERS: Meh. Basic characters you see in many anime ( the smart type, the sensitive type, the average boy who actually turns out to be the leader, despite not appearing to be the leader type at first...you get the point) The acting is meh, and judging from the first episode you can kind of tell who these characters might become, which makes it even less interesting. Meh.

The actors/ crew were probably giving it their best, so for that, I would like to encourage a different audience to watch so it doesn't go to waste.  I might reccomend it to Japanese speaking young children as an educational program? I guess?

Aside from that, I would not reccomend.

I feel so guilty for writing such a bad review, and I know that to a certain demographic ( much younger, with more time on their hands) might really enjoy this kind of thing, so for that I am sorry, and I think they should continue to do/ watch the things that they like despite my opinion.

However for those of you 11+ ...I would just encourage you to watch something else, as this- despite the premise being seemingly new...was just not that novel or entertaining at all.

-Samie <3