renorxukuth's avatar

• Beaverton, OR
  • Joined Mar 12, 2010

Mazinkaiser SKL

Dec 2, 2020

From Secret Santa Gifting, to a Review I was not much into this. Now I am indeed into mech anime, and I like aspects of this short movie, but its really rather all over the place. The romance is really the only glue that holds itself together, the rest is just a mess. There were things I didnt understand, or why something works. Lot of techno-magic-hand wavium going on. For me, it was a lot of flashy, loud characters, with explosions. Unfortunately I've seen better shows with that theme.

Brand New Animal

Apr 6, 2020

It really does give me that Gurren Lagen feel and vibe. The impressive score, the animation, the character interactions, and the world building. There are some off points here and there, but thats mostly with the main character. I would have liked a little bit more of a back story on her, but as is, its fine.  The dynamics of having a situation and a safe place for the people identified as 'beastmen' is quite cool. It has all of the political juggling as one would expect as well. From the various ministries, to the criminal aspect, and the general population. To often times I think shows miss these... See full review

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet: Far Beyond the Voyage

Jan 19, 2020

I suppose if I had been reading the manga and the like, I'd know more about 'The Land' that is often times referenced in these two OVA's as the source of the big bad. However that aside, it was nice to see more of Gargantia, as well as Ledo, Amy, and the rest of the gang.  As usual the artwork, scenery and so forth were quite good, its just without the other context about what is going on, the story isnt as good as the main series.

Onihei

May 3, 2018

I've been rewatching Onihei, and I agree with some earlier reviews about the story being more or less uneven until much later in the series, I think episode 6 or 7 for me really became more concrete to the overall characters.  I love the designs though, the characters look good, the sword fights arent streetfighter esque, and the emotions of said characters is great. Although I must say at certain times in episodes when Ojun smiles, the animation is a bit off, she looks..odd I guess. Interesting organization though, this Theft and Arson Inspection Bureau. Must have been a lot of the latter to warrant... See full review

The Irregular at Magic High School Movie: The Girl Who Summons the Stars

Feb 2, 2018

Bow down to Tatsuya Shiba, The Godsuya, the Mahesvara, The Destroyer, the God of Destruction,The Taurus Silver, and the Onii-sama of all. That being said, I'd much rather have had a 2nd season than the movie. So much time has happened since events of the first series that it feels off a little bit. Its a good a movie, but only for fans, because if you've never seen the first series, you'll be totally lost.

Godzilla Movie 1: Planet of the Monsters

Jan 17, 2018

I'm a huge Godzilla fan and so I was pretty stoked to see this as a thing, and yet, after watching it, I miss the old live action ones even more. This fascination with CG styles, and Godzilla just looks ugly in this. The render of this amazing creature, not that great in this outing under the license.  I did like the design of vehicles, spaceships, their technology of which was a hodge podge of different species all trapped on a single mothership.  Although, I found it odd that they would wander the stars, when infact one of the lead officers of the strike force going to Earth mentions... See full review

Your Light: Kase-san and Morning Glories

Jan 15, 2018

A really long music video is the best way to describe this. It had for some lovely art, and the music wasnt bad, but it's not what I'd really like an out of an OVA to be honest. The story, which follows the music adds to the cuteness, but it feels mostly like a preview of something maybe down the road the come. Like a teaser really.

Today's Menu for Emiya Family

Jan 2, 2018

This is basically Fate Stay meets Shoukugeki no Soma (Cooking manga). It has all the character so far from the Fate Stay series, in a show about food and preparing it etc. It's not as good though as others of this genre, and if you were especially annoyed by the last show in the series being Fate/Apocrypha, you'll probably not even bother with this.

Napping Princess

Nov 7, 2017

This movie was confusing at times as it jumps and overlaps between the two "worlds". The story wants us to act like one world affects the other when there is no parallel in events and to believe in it. It's a shame such a pretty show has such a let down in story and characters. The animation is good, the sound is amazing, and the backdrops were quite gorgeous.  Why then could it not stand higher on score?  The starting point of the movie was great, little girl is blessed with some sort of magical tablet, inspires life in creations. Her father the king, is lord of... See full review

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 6 Specials

Oct 9, 2017

Natsume Yuujinchou Roku is completely bittersweet. The feels this had was immense. I teared up at spots, especially concerning scenes with the Youkai tree and his promise. Even for it's short time, it's more of the characters that we've come to love. From cynical sensei to charming and personable Natsume.  Outstanding performance, and a moving story that any and all can enjoy.