ran88's avatar

• my couch
  • Joined Jul 13, 2015

The Twelve Kingdoms

Oct 23, 2019

Juuni Kokuki is one of the best fantasy shows I have ever seen.

The only reason why anyone wouldn´t want to watch this that I can think of is the protagonist. From the very beginning, Yohko is very unlikeable and anything she does seems to be the wrong thing to do in her situation. However, those wrong decisions end up leading her to really think about who she is, who she wants to be and the like and because of that, she ends up becoming a better person. That is one of the things this anime is really great at: character development. The show introduces seemingly flawed and bad people, only to give them a character arc and let them grow to be characters that you want to cheer on to accomplish their goals.

Another really great thing about this anime is the world building. The world and it´s concept in general are really interesting and the way the viewer gets to know about it piece by piece is really well done. It is also the reason I didn´t drop the anime after 3 Episodes because of the annoying main character.

The story keeps going at a great pace and all of the different arcs stay interesting throughout.The only complaint I have about this show is the ending. The last couple of episodes are more of a side story and some of the things were left open. It seems like there was supposed to be more, but there isn´t.

In conclusion, Juuni Kokuki is an amazing show, which is sadly lacking a satisfying end to it´s fantastic story.