pixiemelia's avatar

• Joined Aug 17, 2019
  • 16 / Other

Fire Force

Aug 19, 2019

I’m extremely critical of anime no matter the genre, but this one needs a bit more critiquing than some others. I haven’t caught up to all the episodes, but I’m planning on watching the entire anime to solidify my review.

My first impression was that this was gonna be an amazing anime. It started off strong with Shinra being introduced, but almost immediately lost my interest at the damsel-in-distress with the sister. I continued with it, and I like the character dynamics so far, but they aren’t being introduced well if at all. The plot jumps from one thing to the next, explaining Shinra’s background, to the Infernals, to the Rookie Games. The concept is amazing; I genuinely like the idea of Infernals, and Shinra’s devil’s foot. However, the pacing is too quick and all over the place. Not to mention the excessive fan service and degradation of women (though that’s to be expected in anime). This anime could be SO much better if the pacing were slower and the characters actually had more personality.

Overall, Fire Force is not an anime I hate or heavily dislike but doesn’t suit my taste. I was hoping for more action and well thought out fight scenes, but instead I got two second fights and no explanation or too much explanation. This is definitely a “beginner” type anime. The animation is amazing, and I love the art style, but the story line could use some work.