papcorp's avatar

• Poland - Szczecin
  • Joined Feb 5, 2009

Dragon Ball Z Kai

Nov 11, 2009

Well this is going to be hard like steel. I always believed reviewing great movies or series is something wrong. It's like playing GOD with clones or even worse:) Since DB (the whole franchise) has become one of the greatest anime (and manga) ever, it is like playing God.

But after watching the newest release of the DBZ I just need to share my opinion.

Let's go!

STORY

I'm not going to review the story. Wanna know why? It's pointless since the story has not changed at all. Only fillers and long talks have been omitted so we are not missing any story neither the story has been redone. If I had to say it's good or bad I would say...I don't know. It depends, whether you were amused by the fillers and long dramatic talks or just bored by them. Personally I think the show runs a lot faster and it is fun. But I still don't belive they will fit in 100 eps. Come on... it's 31st episode now and we still have not seen frieeza fights. I hope they won't cut all the androids and buu saga in 10 eps:P

UPDATED: Ok so the series ended at 97th episode. And where does it ends? Gohan kills Cell and they live happily every after. WTF MATE? Yeah they realy did end on Cell saga, for me Buu saga was the best (we got SSJ3, Majin Vegeta, Goku vs Vegeta, Fusions, Budokai.. all the best stuff is back). Right after the "last" episode ppl on the internets started talking about second season and stuff. What i have read (from forums and news sites) there will possibly be a second season with all the Buu stuff. IMHO, if they gonna make the same crap as the first season they better leave this alone.

ANIMATION

Animation and artwork is one of the elements that was going to be greatly redone so I'm gonna talk a little more about it.

BIG BIG BIG dissapointment...

When we all heard about DB KAI we've gone ape shit!! (at least I did..) Boyyy what a let down it was when we saw the first episode.Great opening, MY GODDDDDD!! When i saw Goku and Vegeta fighting in the opening with all these new animation cells I thought "WOW THAT'S GREAT, IT LOOKS AWESOME!!". Then the real show starts.

....

WTF?

What the hell is this shit?

That must be some joke.. I must find another link on the net...

OK. I got link from a great site it must be a good one now.

...

nooo..

NOOOOOOO!!!

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!!!!!!???

Ok, enough jokes. To sum my jokes up: the animation is a disaster. It looks nothing like the "redone animation cleaned up and perfected for your joy" description we saw in the ad. I agree I can pinpoint some good redone scenes where the artwork is redone. But still I would not call it GOOD JOB. For me it looks worse than one of the many Remasterd Editions. Yes that is correct, I prefer old Remsterd versions. The art was darker and less "pokemonic" (no offense). In KAI it all loks nice but too colorfull. They just fucked up the job. All the creators wanted was money, there is no other explanation. If they would make the whole series like the opening and ending it would be great. Instead they only redone the whole voice acting. If they said A they should say B!!!

What is worse the production faggots have not released any pics durring production so we all hoped it's going to be great animation.

UPDATED: I realy hoped DBKAI vs DBZ will look like FMA Brotherhood compared to original FMA anime. If they are going to "redo" the artwork they should realy redo it not just clean the cells and put some new colors. They went great lenghts with re-recording the voice acting and they were too lazy to make a whole new anime? Perhaps they are trying to exploit DB as much as possible: after converting all the DBZ Remastered and DB KAI Remastered to BluRay they will finally make a real conversion like FMA.

But let's talk about the animation right to the end of this "season". Maybe it's hard to believe but it's worse than in the first episodes. Why and how you may ask? It's very easy to explain (at least i hope so): DBKAI is just a retouched DBZ animations and cells BUT sometimes they lack a cell/animation they needed (for example a shot from a peculiar angle or sth); so what they did? they draw a new animation/cell in the old style but it looks like it's done in MS Paint. In other words it looks like a crappy disaster, the colors are TOO MUCH vivid, completly different and strokes and lines are screwed up. The more the show went on the more and more they used this kind of new "redone" animations and cells. Producers of DBKAI said they were going to fix things like different animation styles and colors that occur in the original DBZ series. Unfortunately they did the same mistake. They tried to fix those mistakes by makin their own mistakes and ruining the show.

SOUND

All the voices were rerecorded as I mentioned before. And they all sound great. I just can't point the which one is which when I hear old DBZ and new DBK voices. The actors (seiyus) done great job. Although.. I must admit I still love the french dub! In my country we had french release of the DB and DBZ and I think the french actors are great and some characters voices are even better than the japanese ones!! Check it yourself, Krillan, Picollo and Vegeta in french are great! (BTW I also recommend BLACK HAWK DOWN in french dub, funny like hell).

They have not changed the sound effects of the hits and all the "jingels" (thank you God) but they changed the whole score. Ok maybe they thought that adding new music will refresh the whole show. I can agree with that. But they fucked it all up again... The old music was great, it helped build the story and everytime I heard "Vegeta theme" I got excited like little kid. Instead, now we have some crappy orchestra music totally ruining the vibe. I like orchestra music and similiar stuff, I like it a lot. But the one used in KAI is horrible, not in performance but it just does not fit. Now it sound like playing old Final Fantasy game. I can't belive they picked the music so WRONGGG!! I assume they wanted to give the scenes a little bit of dramatic effect but with orchestra music it's just plain STUPID. But that's only my opinion maybe you have your own? Maybe you DO agree it makes the scene more "powerful" more dramatic? Well I don't! Also about the opening and ending, they changed the songs there also. Now they are more childish to me :) They colored the artwork now they add childish ending and opening? Maybe I'm too harsh. I just don't like the songs. They are not appealing and I always try to skip them, also because of the opening artwork which angers me more when I see how good it looks :) But to be fair I wasn't a big fan of "head cha la!!!" but I still think it was better.

Still the music/sound was redone better than animation/art that is why I gave it a higher score.

UPDATED: I already said that the new "orchestra-kind" music is not my style. But the last 2 or 3 episodes have THE OLD MUSIC... what were they thinking???!! They wasted so much money on this new music and at the end of the show they realised "hey, the old music was so much better that this shit we have done let's go back to that"? They only pissed me off cause after 94 episodes of crappy music they remind the original score which was amazing and breathtaking????? They need to fix sth in their heads.

Also, I have to say that I was raised on the french dubbed DBZ and after many years of my life has passed and many episodes and movies of DB have been watch I still want to point at the french dub as the best actors ever for this anime. EVEN BETTER than the original jap dub. You heard me right, goku, piccolo and everyone else were wayyyyy better in the french dub. HECK even Vegeta was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY BETTER in french if you dont believe me plz do yourself a favour and go watch a french dub.

CHARACTERS

No changes here. No new characters, only some minor ones have been cut off.

OVERALL

Why won't they just redo the whole work? Are they too lazy? I think this is it. Laziness!!! Full Metal Alchemist was redone, Hellsing was Redone and they look amazing. Hellsing OVA is one of my favourites when we talk about art and animation. I can watch single scenes from it for hours. The new FMA also is great although the changes are not that big. Please some force the guys in Japan to remake the DB. We have been fucked twice this year due to DB. First time was when we recieved the DB KAI, the second one was DB EVOLUTION (I cried when I watched it, I literally cried out loud in despair). If they want money so much I AM sure that when they will make the DBZ OVA series they will get money like hell! Every DB fan would buy this.

Just imagine.. newly drawn and painted Dragon Ball...just like in the opening of KAI, only more darker less childish...That is a world in which I want to live...

And I still belive they can make it..and they wil...

Do you?

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

G4tsu Mar 6, 2012

I couldn't agree more with you, the new music are ruining the show :/

apoc9 Dec 5, 2011

To me DB Kai is blasphemy. It's probably the biggest ripoff on fans in anime history ever (therefore won't watch). When I've seen preview, I was like WTF: "They've cut off pieces of DBZ put them togheter add some -censored- music and renamed it!?" I like the long epic talks of freeza and nice portraits of surrounding landscape. I don't like filler episodes, but It's still great anime, except the english dubbed version. It gives me creep how they completly messed it up with translation errors.

Milbo Sep 28, 2011

the original japanese music was the shit thats all i have to say lol

papcorp Dec 6, 2010

thx for a comment:)the point is: i don't like the new music in db kai and i love the old music in the dbz

but as u said yourself, they probably just NEEDED to use sth new:)

i hate this db kai but i would be interested in an "oav-like" rendition of the dbz (like in fma brotherhood or hellsing) in other words: the kind of dragon ball we see in the db kai opening:)they sucked this one very hard-making a nice opening with new modern quality art style and then just putting the same stuff in the real show

now as i watch more of the db kai (i am currently uptodate with the latest episodes) i think that it is even more worse.

not only they use old animation cells, but sometimes the cells are messed up preety bad (the colors differ VERY VERY VERY much that it is visible with bare eye)

Lovamey Dec 6, 2010

Regarding what you said about the "orchestra music", I believe what happened is that they must have ended up reusing the old Japanese version of the dragon ball Z music.

If we're talking about the same thing I agree the Japanese version of the music was horrible. Maybe they thought they it would be more true to the original DBZ feeling as it was intended, However in this case I would have been a mistake.

Either way I'm not interest in a DBZ remake, I already know everything that happends. Honestly this whole Kai thing seems pointless to me. I guess I'm jaded by gimmicks.